Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 09:35 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
Learning to be more skeptical has had the effect of reducing my biases massively, which is completely at odds to what you're saying big green, I still have biases because I'm not perfect and its a work in progress but using skepticism and logic and having people on here who I respect challenge me from time to time has caused a huge change.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like adey67's post
06-05-2017, 02:03 AM
Scepticism leads to an absence of belief which is by definition atheism. This is because a sceptical mind asks questions and there are many, many flaws in theistic beliefs which cannot be adequately answered.

Education and scientific literacy tells us that atheism is more plausible.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
06-05-2017, 02:14 AM
Skeptical - not easily convinced, having doubts upon hearing a claim.

Tarzan, Lord Greystoke, returns to his family home in Scotland and hears some fantastic tales about religious figures. He is skeptical. He is not easily convinced and has doubts that any of what he has heard is true.

He asks for some kind of evidence that might back up these wild stories.
"Convince me. Prove to me that what you are saying is true."

If you want to say that he has a bias for only believing things that are true or only accepting a claim once enough evidence is presented, then that's fine, but it is his inheirant skeptical nature that makes him an atheist by definition.

He doubts the claim until sufficient evidence is brought forward to support belief.
That is Atheism.
That is skepticism.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
06-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Why should I be an atheist?
(05-05-2017 01:36 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And you could put any valued belief, theistic, atheistic, ....

Atheistic belief? What belief? The belief in "not-God"? How often has it to be said before it sinks in, that there is no atheistic belief? Facepalm

Any secular belief. Any non-theistic belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Any time you see the term "foundational" in reference to atheism, it's a sign you've run into a William Lane Craig disciple. Or as I call them, the Liars for Jesus Club.

I despise such people on a scale roughly equivalent to, but for wholly different reasons than, the Taliban.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-05-2017, 09:31 AM
(06-05-2017 09:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Any time you see the term "foundational" in reference to atheism...

Somebody's trying to tell you we're born atheist. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-05-2017, 10:03 AM
(05-05-2017 04:18 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  I think it's a foundational myth of atheism that skepticism leads to atheism as a natural course.

I meant to comment on this yesterday.

You can't have a foundational myth when the entire "-ism" (i.e. atheism) consists of the word "no."

Since atheism is defined as lacking a belief, or a negative response, there isn't a set of foundations, mythical or otherwise.

I do agree that the idea that skepticism leads to atheism is a very common idea among atheists. I also believe it is usually the case, but again not always.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-05-2017, 10:16 AM
(06-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 01:36 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Atheistic belief? What belief? The belief in "not-God"? How often has it to be said before it sinks in, that there is no atheistic belief? Facepalm

Any secular belief. Any non-theistic belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this "secular belief" this "non-theistic" belief of every atheist?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
06-05-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking you still don't comprehend what the term "atheist" denotes Tom...

(03-05-2017 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If a person value belief (x). They are more receptive to believing things in support of it, even if it’s poorly formed support, and less receptive to believing things opposed to it. And you could put any valued belief, theistic, atheistic, political, philosophical, etc… and this would hold as true...

Atheists don't have a religious-type "belief" in anything of a supernatural or paranormal nature. The singular thing that separates me—as an atheist—and you—as a theist—is that I "believe" in one less god than do you. You reject thousands of other globally-recognised deities, whilst I only reject one IE: yours.

How can you explain that? Why is your decision to believe in a single supernatural entity any more correct than mine is to disbelieve? Or... what makes your standpoint right, and mine wrong?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
It is a shortcut to say "I am an atheist". No, I am a human who holds the "off" position on claims of God/gods/deities.

"Atheist" is not a gang. It is not a political party, it is not a religion, it is not an economic view. The only thing "atheists" have in common is "off".

I am an atheist, but I do not support libertarian Ayn Rand economics "fuck you I got mine". But on the other side, I occasionally run into other atheists who have Che as their avatar. Che is the revolutionary figure that ended up leading to Communist Castro's Cuba. I am no fan of Che and I think he was brutal opportunist and an asshole, nor do I like the Castro Family, nor would I want to live in Cuba.

Liberals are not even in agreement. You can find PC atheist liberals who think "never offend" is a good solution. I am a liberal atheist, but no, I am not for "never offend" but take the position of time place and context.

If any theist wants to know what an atheist thinks on politics or economics or religion, their views only reflect that individual. We are just as diverse, we have left all the worlds major religions, and we DONT always agree on politics or economic views.

I call my self a politically incorrect liberal. I value protecting the rights of minorities but do not value censorship as a solution. Economically I value a mixed economy with anti monopoly laws so that the rich cannot create monopolies. I default to workers having a say because they create the bulk of demand. BUT I am not anti private sector. I am merely anti abuse of power.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post