Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 10:57 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(06-05-2017 10:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Any secular belief. Any non-theistic belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this "secular belief" this "non-theistic" belief of every atheist?

Its a trollish wind up pay it no heed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
06-05-2017, 11:08 AM
(06-05-2017 10:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 10:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What is this "secular belief" this "non-theistic" belief of every atheist?

Its a trollish wind up pay it no heed.

Thx m8 Thumbsup but i am not here to have a meaningful discusison with Tomasia. He is dishonest to the bone and it is a waste of time to try and have a discussion with people like that. I however like to point out his dishonesty to all the lurkers, fencesitters and new forum members, so they wont be confused by his lies or waste any more time on him than absolutely necessary. Wink

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
06-05-2017, 11:28 AM
(05-05-2017 08:30 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 07:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The point I'm making is that skepticism does exist, and has been used to walk away from previously-held beliefs. This has happened in millions of people, and that is a fact.

And the question I'm asking is whether any amount of skepticism can influence the endpoint we end up at to any greater degree than our biases do? If the answer to that question is no, then it's our biases which are the true proximal cause of our conclusions, not our skepticism. Our skepticism then becomes just a prop in the play of our biases.

Well, that depends on the individual ... meaning that it isn't susceptible to broad generalizations. Some folks are mentally lazy, others, not so much.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2017, 11:42 AM
(06-05-2017 11:08 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 10:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its a trollish wind up pay it no heed.

Thx m8 Thumbsup but i am not here to have a meaningful discusison with Tomasia. He is dishonest to the bone and it is a waste of time to try and have a discussion with people like that. I however like to point out his dishonesty to all the lurkers, fencesitters and new forum members, so they wont be confused by his lies or waste any more time on him than absolutely necessary. Wink
Admirable and wise my friend, his shit flinging is legerdemain.
06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Not that I know anything about the -isms or the skepticalities and whotnot ...

I would think the only "foundation" I know of for being atheist would be theism. If atheism is anything, it is only a reaction to theism. Not much more. The one says there is a god, the other says probably not.

I don't think theism (and thereby atheism) would even be a thing if a bunch of control freaks hadn't gathered up a bunch of stories and pawned them off as "rules to live by".

I got my own rules. I'm a wild child. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
06-05-2017, 02:16 PM
(06-05-2017 10:03 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I do agree that the idea that skepticism leads to atheism is a very common idea among atheists. I also believe it is usually the case, but again not always.
Speaking only for myself, I am an unbeliever in gods (among other things) because I am a person who does not afford belief to the unsubstantiated. And I think that this is the genesis of disbelief in gods for most. That isn't the same as saying that skepticism leads to atheism. I was not a skeptic for the first 3.5 or so decades of my existence, I was one predisposed to belief, who wanted certain things to be true. My problem was that those beliefs did not accurately explain or predict outcomes in experienced reality, producing cognitive dissonance that LED to an initially very reluctant skepticism.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
06-05-2017, 11:47 PM
(06-05-2017 02:16 PM)mordant Wrote:  My problem was that those beliefs did not accurately explain or predict outcomes in experienced reality, producing cognitive dissonance that LED to an initially very reluctant skepticism.

This is really a good point. Sometimes our foundations are rocked not because we're searching to undermine them, but because they fail so obviously that even a believer's mind such as my own was says "WTF?!"
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-05-2017, 06:20 AM
(06-05-2017 10:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What is this "secular belief" this "non-theistic" belief of every atheist?

That every atheist's hold? None. Groups or individual atheist might have certain secular beliefs in common, and other groups or individual atheist have differing ones. Some might subscribe to materialism, some might not, etc....

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
07-05-2017, 06:25 AM
(06-05-2017 11:08 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thx m8 Thumbsup but i am not here to have a meaningful discusison with Tomasia. He is dishonest to the bone and it is a waste of time to try and have a discussion with people like that. I however like to point out his dishonesty to all the lurkers, fencesitters and new forum members, so they wont be confused by his lies or waste any more time on him than absolutely necessary. Wink

Not sure why I pose such a "threat" to posters here. I try and respond to post directed at me, clear up any point of confusion or misunderstanding when it arises, and try and abstain from personal attacks. I attack ideas and beliefs, not people.

Whatever feeling of disdain you might feel for me, just know the feeling is not mutual. It's nothing personal to me. It's just matter of arguing ideas on the internet.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
07-05-2017, 06:36 AM
(06-05-2017 10:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  How can you explain that? Why is your decision to believe in a single supernatural entity any more correct than mine is to disbelieve? Or... what makes your standpoint right, and mine wrong?

I wouldn't say it's any more correct for you personally, I would say it's more correct for me. In fact if was sitting solely in your shoes, perhaps disbelief would appear to me more correct. But the makeup and experiences of our reality as they compose such questions, are likely to be drastically different. The land in which I see God and the land which you don't see God are not the same.

You pursue detached truths, I pursue attached ones. You pursue the sort that explains the mechanics of life, I pursue the sort that animates it, that which empowers us in the pursuit of that something. Our makeup and experiences are likely the cause of why you find yourself traveling one road, and me another.