Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 06:52 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(05-05-2017 12:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Tommyrot. How do you think I got to my atheism myself, without questioning my precepts? And millions of others? You do realize that most American atheists started out as believers, right? How do you think they lost their faith, if not by being receptive to the opposing view?

And do you think once we lost faith we immediately stopped asking questions, and put our skepticism away?

Just because you are incapable of overcoming your bias doesn't mean everyone else shares that inability.

I don't doubt your skepticism when it comes to religion, that you're highly critical of religious claims and positions, etc.. In fact I'm very skeptical of many anti-atheistic claims, anti-religious position's and views, such as regarding the harmfulness of religion.

But this idea of some sort of universal skepticism, a "skeptic mindset", of the sort of individual who possess a sort universal and equivalent application of skepticism to all areas of his life, and beliefs, is total nonsense, a fantasy, a delusion. One that clearly lacks the sort of skepticism, and critical thinking, among it's adherents. It betrays our biology, the way our brains are prone to operate, the role of fundamental experiences in shaping our perceptions, etc...

In fact skepticism, doesn't seem to be the equivalent of being self-aware (one's awareness of oneself, his emotions, biases, etc....)

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2017, 06:52 AM
How many "christians" live as Jesus taught them? How many can even point to all the passages where Jesus told them how to live? Why can't any of them explain the contradictions?

Being a Christian just requires you to say "I'm a Christian". It's really that lame.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Gawdzilla's post
07-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I was once told "Don't judge Christ by Christians."

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
07-05-2017, 12:16 PM
(06-05-2017 10:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Any secular belief. Any non-theistic belief.

What is this "secular belief" this "non-theistic" belief of every atheist?

Tomasia trying to rationalize his metaphysical retardation.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-05-2017, 12:19 PM
(07-05-2017 06:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 12:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Tommyrot. How do you think I got to my atheism myself, without questioning my precepts? And millions of others? You do realize that most American atheists started out as believers, right? How do you think they lost their faith, if not by being receptive to the opposing view?

And do you think once we lost faith we immediately stopped asking questions, and put our skepticism away?

Just because you are incapable of overcoming your bias doesn't mean everyone else shares that inability.

I don't doubt your skepticism when it comes to religion, that you're highly critical of religious claims and positions, etc.. In fact I'm very skeptical of many anti-atheistic claims, anti-religious position's and views, such as regarding the harmfulness of religion.

But this idea of some sort of universal skepticism, a "skeptic mindset", of the sort of individual who possess a sort universal and equivalent application of skepticism to all areas of his life, and beliefs, is total nonsense, a fantasy, a delusion. One that clearly lacks the sort of skepticism, and critical thinking, among it's adherents. It betrays our biology, the way our brains are prone to operate, the role of fundamental experiences in shaping our perceptions, etc...

In fact skepticism, doesn't seem to be the equivalent of being self-aware (one's awareness of oneself, his emotions, biases, etc....)

It (skepticism) does make perfect sense, as a mind-set, if you've been raised your entire life in an environment that fully embraces, seriously and completely, and without question, what you come to understand is total bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
(07-05-2017 06:52 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How many "christians" live as Jesus taught them?

I know a few atheists who try.

(07-05-2017 06:52 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How many can even point to all the passages where Jesus told them how to live?

I know a few atheists who can.

(07-05-2017 06:52 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Why can't any of them explain the contradictions?

'Cause they're pussies who can't accept The Word for what it is and what it requires and all its implications.

#sigh
07-05-2017, 01:16 PM
(07-05-2017 12:11 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  I was once told "Don't judge Christ by Christians."

I don't need to.

We can judge christ on:

There is the flaw inherent in vicarious redemption.
There is the incredible cruelty of the doctrine of hell.
The lack of documentation on the "real" christ.

That's more than enough to pass judgement.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-05-2017, 03:09 PM
(07-05-2017 01:16 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 12:11 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  I was once told "Don't judge Christ by Christians."

I don't need to.

We can judge christ on:

There is the flaw inherent in vicarious redemption.
There is the incredible cruelty of the doctrine of hell.
The lack of documentation on the "real" christ.

That's more than enough to pass judgement.

Seajay is a christadolphin, they don't believe in hell Rolleyes Wink
07-05-2017, 03:28 PM
The effects of too much rum wearing off too early

Reality counters like a beeatch!

I claim temporary insanity for the last four hours

G'night all Heart

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 5 users Like SeaJay's post
07-05-2017, 04:29 PM
(07-05-2017 03:28 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  The effects of too much rum wearing off too early

Reality counters like a beeatch!

I claim temporary insanity for the last four hours

G'night all Heart

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post