Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 09:13 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm all over the place. I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts right now for whatever reason. lol

I don't think there's any should about it. If you don't believe in any gods, even if you are not sure they don't exist, then you're atheist. If you do, even if you are not sure, then you are a theist. The only good reason I know of to be an atheist is that you are not convinced that any gods exist, whether you are sure or not.

I happen to be sure that at least the Christian God does not exist and I don't think it is even debatable.

If the reasons that you give for your beliefs are really your main reasons then I think your belief is irrational but then any belief in the Christian God is irrational.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
01-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Heres a small list of things to YouTube my friend:

Bill Burr/Religion
Lewis Black/Religion
George Carlin/Religion
Darkmatter2525- all videos but especially the one about Noahs Ark
Jesus/Horus comparison
Actual history of Christmas
Actual history of Easter
Videos with Neil DeGrass Tyson
Videos with Sam Harris
Videos with Richard Dawkins
Videos with Dan Dennit
Videos with Seth Andrews
Videos with Aron Ra
Saturnalia
Cosmos series old and new
And of course.... Christopher Hitches videos.

Spend a few days pondering the cosmos while camping in the desert alone.

Then report back. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-05-2017, 09:20 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

As others have pointed out, Pascal's wager is inherently flawed for several reasons. Most notably, assuming you can control what you believe, how do you know which god is the correct one to believe in and worship?

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

There is one reason why I am an atheist: the lack of any evidence for any god. There are a number of books which examine the many claims believers make and why they are inadequate. My favorites are "Atheist Universe" by David Mills, which is a guide to understanding and refuting Christian fundamentalism and "Atheism Explained" by David Steele, although it has a couple of serious flaws. Since you are a Christian, I suggest 4 books by David Fitzgerald: "Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All" and the 3 volumes of "Jesus: Mything in Action."

Those would serve as an introduction and are easily readable without being ponderous.

I also like Robert Green Ingersoll. A good biography of him is "The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought" by Susan Jacoby.

There are clearly many more books to be cited, many, like Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt" and Jennifer Michael Hecht's excellent "Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson," are exceptionally well researched but are densely written and not for the casual reader, in my opinion.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
01-05-2017, 09:26 PM
It sounds like you are equating atheism to being another belief system within the set of religions in the world. No doubt there are a few atheists out there who do just that, and they can seem like they belong to an "atheist religion". I think you will do a disservice to yourself if you do that. What I would recommend to you is to look at your faith in the most objective way possible, and let your interests guide you on your journey. That means studying those things that your pastor/priest/holy man deemed offensive to the faith that should be shunned by "true believers" along with those parts of your faith that may trouble you the most.

Everyone will have some part or parts of their faith that is the most difficult for them to reconcile. It may be trying to maintain a young earth creation belief when reams of paper were written about the origins of the universe and evolution of life on earth. Or you may have a difficulty with the mind/body problem given the evidence we've seen with people having radically changed personalities due to brain damage. Perhaps you struggle with the notion of evil and the world and would be well served with studying the "problem of evil" in the world given the alleged existence of an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God. Or your concerns may be more with the "devil in the details" when it comes to who wrote the bible, how many times was it redacted, how many authors added to the original content, etc. etc.

Basically, I recommend to pick at the biggest threads you see in your faith, pull on the biggest thread and then see if you can unravel a facet of it. Then let the chips fall where they may.
[+] 2 users Like Plan 9 from OS's post
01-05-2017, 09:27 PM
(01-05-2017 09:15 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  Bill Burr/Religion
Lewis Black/Religion
George Carlin/Religion
Darkmatter2525- all videos but especially the one about Noahs Ark
J̶e̶s̶u̶s̶/̶H̶o̶r̶u̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶i̶s̶o̶n̶
Actual history of Christmas
Actual history of Easter
Videos with Neil DeGrass Tyson
Videos with Sam Harris
Videos with Richard Dawkins
Videos with Dan Dennit
Videos with Seth Andrews
Videos with Aron Ra
Saturnalia
Cosmos series old and new
And of course.... Christopher Hitches videos.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
As far as Pascal's wager goes, I find it absolutely amazing and completely cavalier to think that it is safe, I.e., that it does not cost you anything. I think it cost you the most important things in life. First it cost you your confidence in your mind. Then you have to accept without any reason, your own depravity, so that it costs you your self-esteem. Then you have to give up any purpose that you might choose for your life and live to please this god for a purpose that you can't possibly know and must guess at beyond the very vague notion of its pleasure. You have to sacrifice all of your values including your own children. These are the most important virtues and values that you can have. So don't ever think that it costs you nothing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
01-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Jesus could not have died for your sins.

Cause Moses. You ever read that book? See, dusty ol' Moses is waiting up top the mount with 40 days of dial up internet. When he rolled back down the hill and saw the golden calf, god was like, "dude"

"Time for the righteous smote, Mo." But Moses pleaded with the voices in his head and demanded himself be sacrificed rather than his people. God's like, "homie don't play."

If Jesus had the power denied Moses, he's obviously not mortal; no mortality, no death. You've been hoodwinked.

There's one reason to be an atheist. We're not going to piss on your head and tell you it's raining. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-05-2017, 09:38 PM
(01-05-2017 09:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Jesus could not have died for your sins.

Cause Moses. You ever read that book? See, dusty ol' Moses is waiting up top the mount with 40 days of dial up internet. When he rolled back down the hill and saw the golden calf, god was like, "dude"

"Time for the righteous smote, Mo." But Moses pleaded with the voices in his head and demanded himself be sacrificed rather than his people. God's like, "homie don't play."

If Jesus had the power denied Moses, he's obviously not mortal; no mortality, no death. You've been hoodwinked.

There's one reason to be an atheist. We're not going to piss on your head and tell you it's raining. Angel

Bowing Thumbsup
01-05-2017, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 08:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

You shouldn't do anything unless it makes sense for you.

Quote:As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

Really ? Just recently ?

Quote:My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

That's not true at all. In each of the gospels, the divinity of Jesus is presented differently, and for many years, Christians did not believe he was divine. Hebrews believed in many divine beings in the heavenly host, NONE of them were equivalent in any way to Yahweh. Bonaparte was responsible for the deaths of millions of people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Wars_casualties

Quote:However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

Interesting. You really think you can change your beliefs like you change your underwear ?

Quote:But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

Your god is SO stupid you think it doesn't know when you say you believe but don't really ?
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2017, 09:51 PM
As an additional reading recommendation, I'd suggest Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason". He argues for a deistic position rather than an atheistic one, and he spends overlong disecting what the word "prophesy" means IMO, but more than 2 centuries later it's one of the more solid dismantlings of the Bible I've ever read. Bonus points for sticking a thumb in the eye of all those American preachers who argue that all the Founding Fathers were Christian and thus the Constitution is from God and thus doesn't ACTUALLY say we can't have an established church or equal rights for non-believers or whatever they're off their meds about this month.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail