Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 06:15 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

Being an atheist means that you do not believe in god. You should not believe in something unless you have sufficient evidence to justify that belief. Since there is not sufficient evidence to believe in any god, I am an atheist.

Beliefs are not a matter of choice. We cannot choose what we believe. We are convinced that our beliefs are true by our thought processes. We can become convinced for good reasons and good evidence and by bad reasons and bad evidence.

Should you be an atheist? If you cannot find evidence to support your belief then your beliefs will likely change.

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

Okay, so I return the question: Why should I be a christian?
(I'm a former Roman catholic, FWIW)

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus.

Well, Nappy's been dead for 196 years, so he is not enlightened, christian or skeptic. However, dead or alive, the fact that Napoleon believed something is not testimony to the truth of that belief.

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

Heh. Stick around.

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  I am a Christian for two reasons.
Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife.
Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

Those are not good reasons.

You believe something because you are convinced that the belief is true.

In your first reason, you are claiming belief in order to get a reward.
In your second reason, you are claiming belief in order to avoid a punishment.

That is literally the definition of the carrot & stick technique.

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

Atheism is not a get-out-of-fear card. There are still plenty of things to worry about and to fear.

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist?

The lack of empirical evidence in favor of religion.
The quantity of empirical evidence against religion.
The foundational logical flaws inherent in theological arguments.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-05-2017, 06:18 AM
(02-05-2017 05:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  I always say that I've no idea how I caught religion (was certainly not brainwashed into it, which makes me my own brand of self-deluding stupid (a brand I still stubbornly cling to, I must say, just not when it comes to religion). I think something just snapped in my brain... and un-snapped years later. No research necessary, really.

I heard you can catch it from toilet seats. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Because you will become 10% richer instantly.
02-05-2017, 06:38 AM
Nah, Bucky, I think it was something I ate. Probably A Potato That Was A Christian. (See, after the fall of communism, there was this winter where there was nothing in the shops and since my family grew a bit of vegetables, we subsided almost entirely on french fries. I think a theistic tater must have managed to slip in unnoticed Dodgy )

[Image: 3cf7bf2139fcc4dd7a3878fd19cfa6ce.jpg]

Seriously, check this out

I also came across this. I think I'll probably get another migraine, I facepalmed so hard Facepalm

[Image: slide_7.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
02-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Atheism means freedom from religious delusion. It's reason enough to be unbeliever.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-05-2017, 07:17 AM

As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm all over the place. I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts right now for whatever reason. lol
You see, it's not enough to become an atheist. You can stop believing in a god but you may still have irrational beliefs. The important thing is to take on a rational philosophy. Atheism is just a side issue.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-05-2017, 07:22 AM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus.

Napoleon is neither skeptic nor christian, he is dead meat.

Quote: I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

True reason 1 - you were indoctrinated.

Also don't you think that omniscient sky daddy you claim to believe in won't see that you worship him only for your benefit? You have some reason to believe that he won't find such behaviour abhorent?

Quote: But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

How can you be sure that Ahura Mazda won't be displeased with your belief in some false deity? Why don't you seek glorious death in battle? You preffer Hel to Valhalla?

Quote: According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

Pascal wager is shit for credulous.

Quote: In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

Atheism isn't religion - you don't get glorious afterlife for not believing*. You get life free from delusion but it don't appeal to all.

*Believing also don't work in this regard.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
02-05-2017, 07:36 AM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  .
However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

So here's the thing, you most certainly will (or should) fear dying because you will know that is it. Zero, blankness. Nothing. So you need to live your life to the fullest. Live your life knowing you only get one shot at life. At least thats how I feel. I KNOW there is no golden palace floating around on a fluffy cloud waiting for me. When we die, we simply cease to exist. That's it. So have a little fun and be good to people and the planet. Easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-05-2017, 07:45 AM
(02-05-2017 07:36 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  .

So here's the thing, you most certainly will (or should) fear dying because you will know that is it. Zero, blankness. Nothing. So you need to live your life to the fullest. Live your life knowing you only get one shot at life. At least thats how I feel. I KNOW there is no golden palace floating around on a fluffy cloud waiting for me. When we die, we simply cease to exist. That's it. So have a little fun and be good to people and the planet. Easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additionally, if a "loving" magical being needs to use fear in order for you to believe in him, he can't truly stand on his own merit. Maybe take a moment to think for a minute about what type of being you are worshiping--even if you choose to continue to believe.

What motive do you think a person or group of people might have to continue to perpetuate a fake wrathful deity?

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”

― Napoléon Bonaparte
02-05-2017, 08:02 AM
(01-05-2017 08:13 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  As a Christian, I believe in an afterlife. But not in the traditional sense. I believe, as do many others, that we don't immediately go to our eternal destination (heaven or hell) when we die. Rather, we sleep in the grave until the so-called resurrection.

There is no evidence for existence of heaven or hell nor something callrd resurrection.

Quote: I believe that Jesus died for our sins.

Sin is imaginary ilness for which church sells imaginary cure.

Quote: I believe that God exists, but I guess that's a given...

What do you think?

I think that you're indoctrinated.

Mikhail Bakunin.