Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 08:23 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

Hello Bee. So you can be a grumpy old angry heathen of course.

Quote:In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

You need to be true to who you are. If religion is helpful and positive for you, then are there indeed any positive reasons to become an unbeliever?

A book? How about The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman. It's academic and very well received by scholars.

Quote:But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

Well there are things we can be sure of and things we can't be sure of. For example, we can be pretty sure that Jesus was crucified and that his followers started a religion in his name soon after experiencing visions of him. Why, how, and even who had the first vision are all questions up for debate.

But some of the stuff in the Bible did not happen the way that it says ... or it did not happen at all. The Exodus and the Conquest of Canaan didn't happen, and Moses is a purely mythological patriarch, not a historical Hebrew person. Solomon may have existed, but his "kingdom" would have amounted to a couple of hundred people and a few acres of land.

The trial of Jesus is another event that couldn't have happened the way the Bible claimed - Pontius Pilate would not have cared to appease the interests of Jewish authorities. Jesus becoming violent in the Temple would have seen him crucified without any Jewish influence. Blaming the Jews was just an anti-Semitic belief. Interesting side-note, no one knows what happened to Pilate or what he did after his reign as Governor of Judaea.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
02-05-2017, 08:37 AM
(02-05-2017 08:23 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Pontius Pilate would not have cared to appease the interests of Jewish authorities.

Roman "aristo-cats" also didn't (ever) concern themselves with any of the many Jewish peasant itinerant preachers, or get involved in their summary executions, (or trials, if they even had one).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 08:43 AM
(02-05-2017 08:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 08:23 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Pontius Pilate would not have cared to appease the interests of Jewish authorities.

Roman "aristo-cats" also didn't (ever) concern themselves with any of the many Jewish peasant itinerant preachers, or get involved in their summary executions, (or trials, if they even had one).

Just the ones who claimed to be the messiah (a war leader) during Passover in occupied Jerusalem.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-05-2017, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 08:51 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-05-2017 08:43 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 08:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Roman "aristo-cats" also didn't (ever) concern themselves with any of the many Jewish peasant itinerant preachers, or get involved in their summary executions, (or trials, if they even had one).

Just the ones who claimed to be the messiah (a war leader) during Passover in occupied Jerusalem.

Except he didn't claim that, and the Jewish authorities were busy during Passover. ("Render unto Caesar .... ")
In fact in Acts, (Acts 2:14, 22-33) Peter had to actually TELL THEM the story they knew nothing about.
"Then Peter stood up with the Eleven,
raised his voice, and proclaimed:
"You who are Jews, indeed all of you staying in Jerusalem.
Let this be known to you, and listen to my words.
You who are Israelites, hear these words.
Jesus the Nazarene was a man commended to you by God
with mighty deeds, wonders, and signs,
which God worked through him in your midst, as you yourselves know.
This man, delivered up by the set plan and foreknowledge of God,
you killed, using lawless men to crucify him.
But God raised him up, releasing him from the throes of death,
because it was impossible for him to be held by it.
For David says of him:
I saw the Lord ever before me,
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted;
my flesh, too, will dwell in hope,
because you will not abandon my soul to the netherworld,
nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption.
You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-05-2017, 09:05 AM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

I am a Leprechaunist for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Reason # 2: I fear not being granted my 3 wishes.

Yeah, makes about as much sense as your reasons I suppose. Consider At the very least I know gold exists.

[Image: mqdefault.jpg]

(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Point me to an article? Or a book?

The Demon-Hunted World ~ Carl Sagan

Do yourself a favor and read this book.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
02-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Call me a skeptic, but I'm thinking the OP is just fishing.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-05-2017, 09:07 AM
I've always felt atheism to be more of a conclusion than a decision. Lots of great feedback on the OP, but I don't know many who can "just decide" to believe whatever.
[+] 3 users Like Grauwyler's post
02-05-2017, 09:08 AM
(02-05-2017 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except he didn't claim that, and the Jewish authorities were busy during Passover.

According to Erhman, if jesus claimed to be the messiah then he was claiming to be the new king of the Jews. Since the current king was a Roman puppet, the Romans took exception to that challenge to their authority. The Jews at the time were unruly subjects and Passover was a patriotic holiday.

Claiming kingship of a rebellious people, in their state capitol on their 4th of July? Not a smart idea.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt the leaders of either side put much thought into it. Messianic claims? Hammer-time. Then rotting on the cross feeding vultures.

No trial, no tomb, no resurrection.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-05-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 09:50 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Why should I worship a God who allows evil to exist? For that matter why should I worship a God who seems completely narcissistic?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
02-05-2017, 09:17 AM
(02-05-2017 06:31 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

Because you will become 10% richer instantly.

Actually it's even better, 11.1% recurring Big Grin (a ninth).

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post