Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
I just had a thought which is vaguely relevant.

When people say there is no morality without god, what they really mean is that there is no extremely simplistic explanation for morality without god.

Not that god is any sort of real explanation anyway.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
02-05-2017, 09:29 AM
(02-05-2017 09:05 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The Demon-Hunted World ~ Carl Sagan

Hunted?
Laugh out load

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-05-2017, 09:35 AM
(02-05-2017 09:05 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Call me a skeptic, but I'm thinking the OP is just fishing.

I agree its a possibility, it could also be proselytization by stealth, or at the very least testing the waters.
02-05-2017, 09:37 AM
(02-05-2017 09:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 09:05 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Call me a skeptic, but I'm thinking the OP is just fishing.

I agree its a possibility, it could also be proselytization by stealth, or at the very least testing the waters.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, though I have been disappointed nearly 100% of the time.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-05-2017, 09:39 AM
(02-05-2017 09:37 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 09:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I agree its a possibility, it could also be proselytization by stealth, or at the very least testing the waters.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, though I have been disappointed nearly 100% of the time.

Hobo

Me too, its just a gut feeling no logic, hope I'm proven wrong.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
I will say this, if the OP is proselytizing by stealth, like mentioned above, ,, he or she can rightly piss off. That's a dick move.
02-05-2017, 09:50 AM
(02-05-2017 09:46 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  I will say this, if the OP is proselytizing by stealth, like mentioned above, ,, he or she can rightly piss off. That's a dick move.

I think its unlikely but I do think they are testing the waters here, seeing what reaction they get, and that's ok I guess, just hope all the effort folks have put in providing links etc hasn't been a waste of their time.
02-05-2017, 09:55 AM
I've become thoroughly unconvinced that there is an afterlife in store for us. It seems far more likely that we simply cease to exist once our physical brain can no longer function. When our brain is damaged in some ways, so can be our personality as we and others knew it. There is yet no observable mechanism by which a "mind" can exist beyond physical presence of a living and functioning brain.

Belief in anything more is not even conjecture- it's pure assumption rooted in a self-preserving desire for eternal life. And that's a completely understandable thing to desire (at least on the surface). It just doesn't have any basis in reality, and recognizing that is a big step toward bravely (in my opinion) accepting reality with the information we have available to us from analyzing the universe around us.

If there is a god of some sort, who metes out judgement for the quality of afterlife people will get, I guess you'd have to trust (for some reason) that this being would do so fairly- understanding its own creation and the limits put on that creation. But that seems entirely ridiculous to believe without cause to believe it, doesn't it?
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
02-05-2017, 09:56 AM
He seems genuine to me. It must be damn hard work to think clearly when you've been programmed with all that magical stuff.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 09:59 AM
(02-05-2017 09:56 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  He seems genuine to me. It must be damn hard work to think clearly when you've been programmed with all that magical stuff.

Lets hope so bruv, lets hope so, I'm just a nasty baby eating atheist with no morals who is cynical I'm afraid. Big Grin Wink
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post