Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 10:01 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
Sure yeah, I've been fooled many times before. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Our responses will still be useful to lurkers anyhow.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
02-05-2017, 10:06 AM
(02-05-2017 10:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Sure yeah, I've been fooled many times before. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Our responses will still be useful to lurkers anyhow.
True but its no reflection on you, me or anyone else, we get so many crazies here its almost impossible to sift the wheat from the chaff sometimes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
02-05-2017, 10:15 AM
(02-05-2017 09:56 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  He seems genuine to me. It must be damn hard work to think clearly when you've been programmed with all that magical stuff.

ISTR the same exact OP over on AF.org a good while back. I can't find the thread though.
[+] 2 users Like big green mouth's post
02-05-2017, 10:27 AM
The plot thickensEvil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
02-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Tbh my spidey senses started tingling at the thought of someone who's hero and role model was a murderous bastard French Corsican from the early 19th century, I mean seriously? Its a bit like me saying hitler was my role model and hero because he bought the autobahns' into existence.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
02-05-2017, 11:00 AM
(02-05-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Tbh my spidey senses started tingling at the thought of someone who's hero and role model was a murderous bastard French Corsican from the early 19th century, I mean seriously? Its a bit like me saying hitler was my role model and hero because he bought the autobahns' into existence.

Ah, but the same said murderous Corsican did also break the power of the Inquisition... so there's that. Consider
02-05-2017, 11:03 AM
To the OP:

We don't have to explain atheism to you. We don't believe in gods. Deal with it.

What you have to explain to us is why you would even consider atheism if you still believe. Your whole premise stinks of a worldview that cannot countenance the very existence of people who refuse to give a blow job to your imaginary friend.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 11:43 AM
(01-05-2017 07:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Except Pascal leaves out all the other millions of gods and goddesses that people have believed in over time. If you are going to follow his philosophy of thinking, then you should really worship all gods and goddesses to be safe and to truly cover yourself. You realize all your free time would be devoted to this endeavor because millions of gods have existed since the dawn of time.

Why be an atheist? To think for yourself and to not live your one life based on what someone else told you was true. To live in reality. To embrace science and reason. To live your life on your own terms. To educate yourself on where religions came from and to have the courage to look behind the curtain. To be truly free.

One major problem with this objections, most religions are not exclusivist, and many don't have a hell like after life, for those who don't subscribe to their particular tradition. The Roman may have killed your for accepting their Gods, but wouldn't tell you you're going to burn in hell for it.

In fact such a beliefs are primarly a judeo-christian thing, reducing the millions of alternative options, to at best 2-3.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
(02-05-2017 10:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 10:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Sure yeah, I've been fooled many times before. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Our responses will still be useful to lurkers anyhow.
True but its no reflection on you, me or anyone else, we get so many crazies here its almost impossible to sift the wheat from the chaff sometimes.

Agreed to both of these posts.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-05-2017, 11:54 AM
(02-05-2017 11:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Except Pascal leaves out all the other millions of gods and goddesses that people have believed in over time. If you are going to follow his philosophy of thinking, then you should really worship all gods and goddesses to be safe and to truly cover yourself. You realize all your free time would be devoted to this endeavor because millions of gods have existed since the dawn of time.

Why be an atheist? To think for yourself and to not live your one life based on what someone else told you was true. To live in reality. To embrace science and reason. To live your life on your own terms. To educate yourself on where religions came from and to have the courage to look behind the curtain. To be truly free.

One major problem with this objections, most religions are not exclusivist, and many don't have a hell like after life, for those who don't subscribe to their particular tradition. The Roman may have killed your for accepting their Gods, but wouldn't tell you you're going to burn in hell for it.

In fact such a beliefs are primarly a judeo-christian thing, reducing the millions of alternative options, to at best 2-3.

And your point is .?