Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Why should a deity exist?
So.. after my last posts, and the users on this site making it clear, I'm just repeating stuff. I got a good question from a couple of users on this site.

Why does there need to be an deity??
Good question.
The answer :

He may not exist at all but His apparent existence is a sort of comfort for believers
on points such as suffering, the idea of reward for it, the deity also provides a convenient and easy explanation for those hard to explain things i.e.

"Why do I suffer"
It's God, man he's testing you

Like the above, its human nature to try and find answers even if there aren't any.

So in short, there needs to be a deity because His existence helps the vast majority of people just cope with day to day life (I guess) and some people can't accept that the world may JUST HAVE EXISTED, they need a cause and for them, that cause is God..

Be nice in the comments Wink

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cypher44's post
10-01-2017, 02:39 PM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
At work.

Hello! Big Grin

Um.... okay..... but doesn't your thinking also work for things like 'Santa' and 'Krampus' and, well other mental things like that.

As has happened in the past, what's to stop some powerful group using such mental constructs to start bending people over altars to ensure the sun must come up?

Consider

*EDIT: Wait? What 'Appsrent' existance? Like all the temples to Zeus are evidence of that dieties 'apparent' existance?
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
10-01-2017, 02:40 PM
(10-01-2017 02:33 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  So.. after my last posts, and the users on this site making it clear, I'm just repeating stuff. I got a good question from a couple of users on this site.

Good question.
The answer :

He may not exist at all but His apparent existence is a sort of comfort for believers
on points such as suffering, the idea of reward for it, the deity also provides a convenient and easy explanation for those hard to explain things i.e.

"Why do I suffer"

Like the above, its human nature to try and find answers even if there aren't any.

So in short, there needs to be a deity because His existence helps the vast majority of people just cope with day to day life (I guess) and some people can't accept that the world may JUST HAVE EXISTED, they need a cause and for them, that cause is God..

I don't think a deity helps at all, nor is one required for anything. Yes it is human nature to try to find answers but it's a lazy person who simply says god did it. Especially when we do have answers to many questions. We are here because of evolution by natural selection.

Be nice in comments?! Really why?

Also please don't just keep starting new threads. Your thread can evolve.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-01-2017, 02:46 PM
So we need a God of the gaps to fill in all the knowledge we don't have to feel better and sleep at night? We could just say "I don't know." and move on with our lives or better yet, try to figure out the actual answers. If we fool ourselves into thinking we have the answers we won't ever know the real answer and that's really sad.

Also to say humans need any fantasy story to explain their existence to feel better is overly simplistic. If we need any story than why not just accept any story. Why the Abrahamic God story? What makes that one so great?

As an atheist I don't require any fantasy stories to make me feel better or inspire me to be a better person but if I did need one I'd want a better one, without all the dumb sin and human blood sacrifice and virgin births and plagues raining down on innocent people because a God couldn't figure out a way to free slaves without causing so much suffering and misery, etc.

I can sit here and think the Care Bears are real and they grant wishes but that doesn't make it true, I wont' insist on Care Bears being taught in schools and I won't try to start any wars because someone says the Care Bears are made up. So yeah a faith belief that makes you feel good isn't the same as any religious belief, they are very different and actually very dangerous in the wrong hands.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like SitaSky's post
10-01-2017, 02:50 PM
(10-01-2017 02:46 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I can sit here and think the Care Bears are real and they grant wishes but that doesn't make it true,

Wait what? Care Bears aren't real?

Sadcryface

What about Santa? He's really real, right?

Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-01-2017, 02:57 PM
(10-01-2017 02:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 02:46 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I can sit here and think the Care Bears are real and they grant wishes but that doesn't make it true,

Wait what? Care Bears aren't real?

Sadcryface

What about Santa? He's really real, right?

Weeping

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you knew! You know what? If it makes you feel good, they're all real! Thumbsup

There's even a book about them, they must be real!

[Image: 7763756.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
10-01-2017, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 03:12 PM by Szuchow.)
(10-01-2017 02:33 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  So.. after my last posts, and the users on this site making it clear, I'm just repeating stuff. I got a good question from a couple of users on this site.

Good question.
The answer :

"Why do I suffer"

God offers only simplistic explanation, or in fact no explanation at all. Answering to "why I suffer" question with "cause god is testing you" is just like saying just because. It's non answer, just like any other answer that can be summed as "god did it".

ETA: Also it would mean that god is a dick. Suffering making one stronger is just fanciful tale invented to give it a meaning.

Quote:Like the above, its human nature to try and find answers even if there aren't any.

There are much better answers than god concerning suffering and other things too.

Quote:So in short, there needs to be a deity because His existence helps the vast majority of people just cope with day to day life (I guess) and some people can't accept that the world may JUST HAVE EXISTED, they need a cause and for them, that cause is God..

So Marx was right?

Here's the thing though - with focus on education and eradication of poverty god and whatever "comfort" religion provide won't be needed. If some placebo or rather homeopathic shit helps people to cope with their lot, then real medicine would fare better I wager.

Also most importantly you conveniently forget about indoctrination. Belief in fairy tales does not came from nowhere, people are indoctrinated to believe; religion is very good at selling medicine to ills that it forces on people.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
10-01-2017, 03:07 PM
(10-01-2017 02:33 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  "Why do I suffer"

Why would an omniscient (which you said in another thread) god need to test anything when he/she/it already knows everything? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
10-01-2017, 03:10 PM

Good question.
The answer :

"Why do I suffer"

So the vast majority of Human beings can't live their lives without believing in a fantasy? Yes I think that's true. The reason is because they have abdicated their responsibility to think for themselves, and more commonly, they've never been taught how to think in the first place. I certainly wasn't when I was growing up. I had to learn it after I got out of school, on my own. Thinking properly does not come naturally, as witness the history of man. It is a learned skill. It's also scary and many people would rather retreat into the comfort of a delusion than to take the responsibility.

Just imagine what our world would be like if instead of being taught that an invisible magic being is in control of their lives at an early age, we were taught that thinking rationally and logically were the most important things in life and we'd better spend all our efforts to acquire these skills.

I was never taught growing up what reason was, what logic was, what truth was. It was just taken for granted that I knew these things. Worse, I was taught that my own thinking was bad and that I should listen to what others believed and believe that and to stop asking so many questiions.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
10-01-2017, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 04:11 PM by julep.)
Is this a description of your position? "God may not exist, but nonbelievers should not oppose other people believing in god, because the idea of god is comforting to many people. Let people have their illusions, if it makes them feel better."

I could get behind this idea, were it not for...the entirety of human history. Human history is full of people using god to justify behaving awfully towards one another. "God" isn't just a comfort to people struggling with diseases and natural disasters; people use the god concept as they kill, subjugate, and ostracize. For every person looking to the idea of god for personal comfort, there's another person looking to the idea of god for personal power.

Also, I don't think people are so stupid or fearful, generally, that they will be lost without the idea of a god; that's a lie propagated by the clergy, who have the most at stake if people abandon religion. With a decent education and without being surrounded by others telling them they would go to hell, I think most people get along without god just fine.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post