Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 09:02 AM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
(14-01-2017 08:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I believe God exist, now what am i unwilling or unable to believe? Just because I don't believe Y, and that I'm not persuaded to hold Y is true, is not sufficient reason to claim incredulity.

Leprechauns.

(13-01-2017 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No I strongly believe leprechaun's don't exist, based on a variety of reasons.

Now you are equating "something" with "anything". You are also saying that because you profess a belief in god that means you cannot be called incredulous in regards to anything else.

If you are as educated as you claim that means that you are, once again, being dishonest.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Hello, Cypher44

Cypher Wrote:Why does there need to be an deity??
Good question.
The answer :

He may not exist at all but His apparent existence is a sort of comfort for believers
on points such as suffering, the idea of reward for it, the deity also provides a convenient and easy explanation for those hard to explain things i.e.

Out of curiosity, based on the post quoted above, does the existence of a deity actually provide a convenient and easy explanation: is it actually a sensible explanation, or is it a comfortable explanation?

With that said, welcome to TTA, sir. I hope you are enjoying your experience.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
14-01-2017, 12:23 PM
(14-01-2017 10:31 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Hello, Cypher44

Cypher Wrote:Why does there need to be an deity??
Good question.
The answer :

He may not exist at all but His apparent existence is a sort of comfort for believers
on points such as suffering, the idea of reward for it, the deity also provides a convenient and easy explanation for those hard to explain things i.e.

Out of curiosity, based on the post quoted above, does the existence of a deity actually provide a convenient and easy explanation: is it actually a sensible explanation, or is it a comfortable explanation?

Hi Kernel..

I believe it is predominantly a convenient and easy explanation to highly complex and difficult to answer questions. -C

Oh no. He's here - God
14-01-2017, 01:55 PM
(14-01-2017 12:23 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  

Hi Kernel..

I believe it is predominantly a convenient and easy explanation to highly complex and difficult to answer questions. -C

Is it enough to have an "answer" even if there is no reason to believe that it is correct?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Hi Kernel..

Lies don't explain anything.

How does a car engine work ?
"Magical faeries zap power into the engine."

Did this explain how a car engine works ?
It might be a comforting thought to think that faerie magic runs the engine and you aren't polluting the environment, but it's also not true.

Saying a god did something doesn't explain anything.

Details about how something works does provide explaination. If you don't know HOW a god does something, let alone HOW a god exists in the first place, then you haven't explained anything.

All you've done is lie to yourself or others with a delusion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Hi Kernel..

But it's not really an explanation - god did it lacks explanatory power.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
14-01-2017, 02:54 PM
(14-01-2017 02:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  "god did it" lacks explanatory power.
And it lacks predictive power, which is a bit of a downer if you are trying to anticipate outcomes and make good decisions.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
14-01-2017, 03:19 PM
(14-01-2017 02:54 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 02:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  "god did it" lacks explanatory power.
And it lacks predictive power, which is a bit of a downer if you are trying to anticipate outcomes and make good decisions.

It's just lacking in general. God did it does not allow for consistency as his whim could change everything anytime. But it sure provide simple and certain answers and that is enough for some.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Hi Kernel..

You're happy with a comforting lie? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-01-2017, 03:37 PM
(14-01-2017 03:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 12:23 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Hi Kernel..

You're happy with a comforting lie? Consider

As one who was once a theist, I can submit that, even with doubts, sometimes the idea of an omnipotent superintelligence that has my best interests at heart is a comforting presence in times of great stress.

That doesn't make this superintelligence real, but it does mean that the idea of it can provide comfort.

During my time in the church, I used to lead prayer groups and bible studies. A couple of times myself and some others in the church were chosen for the unenviable task of comforting parents who lost children.

Most of the parents' questions related to the "why" of the loss. We (the pastoral team) didn't pretend we had the answers; we simply encouraged the suffering family to lean on God and the church community.

I have come to realize that it was the community of caring individuals that provided succor during hard times.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post