Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 06:10 AM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
(14-01-2017 01:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 12:23 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Hi Kernel..

I believe it is predominantly a convenient and easy explanation to highly complex and difficult to answer questions. -C

Is it enough to have an "answer" even if there is no reason to believe that it is correct?

Unlike people of today, people in times of fervent religion took the answers they were given. They were not going to sit down and logically think if it made sense or not, they just accepted it, because it was easy enough for them to comprehend, regardless of whether it was BS or not

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 06:21 AM
(15-01-2017 06:10 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 01:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Is it enough to have an "answer" even if there is no reason to believe that it is correct?

Unlike people of today, people in times of fervent religion took the answers they were given. They were not going to sit down and logically think if it made sense or not, they just accepted it, because it was easy enough for them to comprehend, regardless of whether it was BS or not

Stupid people can use anything around them as a so called "answer".

The wind is blowing from the west. This is the sign i was looking for. God wants me to punch my neighbor to the east, in the face.

I opened this book that talks about a burning bush.
That means god wants me to also burn down his house.

On a larger scale, you get religious wars.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-01-2017, 06:25 AM
(14-01-2017 01:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Is it enough to have an "answer" even if there is no reason to believe that it is correct?

Sorry, no.

There are always "times of fervent religion" - it's just a matter of where.
Fundamentalism's ugliness always exists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2017, 06:25 AM

Nice attempt to deflect. You just admitted a few posts back that you also accept the "answer" you were given without determining if it makes sense. Please answer the question that Chas and I actually asked.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-01-2017, 06:39 AM
(15-01-2017 06:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:10 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Unlike people of today, people in times of fervent religion took the answers they were given. They were not going to sit down and logically think if it made sense or not, they just accepted it, because it was easy enough for them to comprehend, regardless of whether it was BS or not

Nice attempt to deflect. You just admitted a few posts back that you also accept the "answer" you were given without determining if it makes sense. Please answer the question that Chas and I actually asked.

Yes is my answer.. I have stated on multiple occasions that my belief makes me happy.. even though I myself know it can't be proved. So its enough I have my answer, no matter how stupid it is. Accepting an irrational answer (and pretending its rational) which allows life to move on uninterrupted, is better than taking an rational answer which is going to throw a spanner in the works.

Oh no. He's here - God
15-01-2017, 07:09 AM
(15-01-2017 06:39 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Nice attempt to deflect. You just admitted a few posts back that you also accept the "answer" you were given without determining if it makes sense. Please answer the question that Chas and I actually asked.

Yes is my answer.. I have stated on multiple occasions that my belief makes me happy.. even though I myself know it can't be proved. So its enough I have my answer, no matter how stupid it is. Accepting an irrational answer (and pretending its rational) which allows life to move on uninterrupted, is better than taking an rational answer which is going to throw a spanner in the works.

That is incredibly sad. There is no spanner in the works. Realizing that you don't have all the answers is actually liberating. It allows you to be open to learning in ways that are closed when you embrace ignorance like that.

[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
15-01-2017, 07:12 AM
(15-01-2017 06:39 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Yes is my answer.. I have stated on multiple occasions that my belief makes me happy.. even though I myself know it can't be proved. So its enough I have my answer, no matter how stupid it is. Accepting an irrational answer (and pretending its rational) which allows life to move on uninterrupted, is better than taking an rational answer which is going to throw a spanner in the works.

Hug

Heart

Thumbsup
15-01-2017, 07:15 AM
(15-01-2017 07:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:39 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Yes is my answer.. I have stated on multiple occasions that my belief makes me happy.. even though I myself know it can't be proved. So its enough I have my answer, no matter how stupid it is. Accepting an irrational answer (and pretending its rational) which allows life to move on uninterrupted, is better than taking an rational answer which is going to throw a spanner in the works.

That is incredibly sad. There is no spanner in the works. Realizing that you don't have all the answers is actually liberating. It allows you to be open to learning in ways that are closed when you embrace ignorance like that.

I never said I have "all the answers", I have my answer, which is simply one of many. This don't mean that I shut out myself from learning new things

Oh no. He's here - God
15-01-2017, 07:19 AM
(15-01-2017 07:15 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That is incredibly sad. There is no spanner in the works. Realizing that you don't have all the answers is actually liberating. It allows you to be open to learning in ways that are closed when you embrace ignorance like that.

I never said I have "all the answers", I have my answer, which is simply one of many.

Facepalm

Quote:This don't mean that I shut out myself from learning new things

When you have an answer most people typically stop looking. Enjoy the comforting delusion if you like. I could not live that way.

15-01-2017, 07:21 AM
(15-01-2017 07:19 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:15 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  I never said I have "all the answers", I have my answer, which is simply one of many.

Facepalm

Quote:This don't mean that I shut out myself from learning new things

When you have an answer most people typically stop looking. Enjoy the comforting delusion if you like. I could not live that way.

Enjoy the comforting delusion if you like. I could not live that way.

Each to his own.

Thanks for the questions unfogged

Oh no. He's here - God