Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 09:58 PM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
Why should Superman exist ?

Superman should exist because the world would benefit from his existence.

Why should humanitarian efforts to help the poor exist ?

Because the world benefits when we help each other survive.

Now when you ask why should a deity exist, do you expect that deity would benefit or harm the world ?

A more powerful creature than ourselves would more than likely also be more corrupt. We would be subjected to its whims and enslaved to its desires.
We would be like the ants compared to such a being and we already know how we treat ants.

So I would say we are very lucky that deities don't exist. It's unlikely there would be a peaceful co-existence.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
10-01-2017, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 10:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-01-2017 02:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't think a deity helps at all, nor is one required for anything.

I have seen a couple of what I would call notable exceptions to that general rule. An otherwise perfectly rational atheist who uses God to maintain sobriety while nonetheless continuing to realize "Of course there's no such thing as God. That's just silly." He reminds me of that left-hander for the Cubs Jon Lester who after a particularly disastrous pickoff attempt finds himself unable to throw to first base for any reason - pick off, throw out, bunt, practice, warmup, backyard with the kids, anything, ain't gonna happen. He realizes full well that there is no rational reason for him to be paralyzed by the thought of throwing to first base, doesn't mean he's gonna throw to first base anytime soon.

And another is a very nice middle-aged mentally handicapped woman who just happened to be around while I was trying to explain to mommie dearest for the umpteenth time that dualism is utterly without foundation or basis. It is completely untenable and indefensible. Many have tried. All have failed. Wise man/foolish man, rock/sand shit I used to sing in Sunday School. When the woman started to pick up on the implications of what I was saying she became visibly agitated and I shut up and shared my slow cooker recipe for zero-work chuck roast (the trick is you don't cut up the vegetables or anything, just throw all that shit straight in, set the timer and come back 6-8 hours later). Shaking let alone shattering that poor woman's beliefs would have been criminal. I'm sure I could think of others as well. But I would say those are anomalous.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-01-2017, 01:38 AM
(10-01-2017 09:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What flavor Kool-Aid would you like? Grape? Cherry?

Technically, there was no Kool-Aid involved. Those cheapskate psychopaths went with Flavor-Aid, the knock-off brand. The confusion came about because US investigators, speaking to the press after the event, used the term "Kool-Aid", though it's not sure if they intended to refer to the wrong brand or simply were using it in the generic sense, as one might say Kleenex to mean a tissue.

Poor Kool-Aid Man has been getting a bad rap ever since.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-01-2017, 01:53 AM
(11-01-2017 01:38 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 09:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What flavor Kool-Aid would you like? Grape? Cherry?

Technically, there was no Kool-Aid involved. Those cheapskate psychopaths went with Flavor-Aid, the knock-off brand. The confusion came about because US investigators, speaking to the press after the event, used the term "Kool-Aid", though it's not sure if they intended to refer to the wrong brand or simply were using it in the generic sense, as one might say Kleenex to mean a tissue.

It's a shame, too. That mascot made a lot of progress on a social front. Really broke barriers.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
11-01-2017, 02:12 AM
(10-01-2017 02:33 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  "Why do I suffer"

Okay, I'll play. Really play if you're up to it.

The other night I was asked if I ever wonder "Why me?" My answer was simply "No."

I went on to explain my reasons. I am an animal. I had a chemical imbalance/reaction of some sort. There was nobody to blame. No rhyme nor reason. It simply happened. I am an animal.

I was told by the man to whom I spoke, an expert, I had great clarity of mind. Despite my hardships.

Is that it?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-01-2017, 05:55 AM
(11-01-2017 01:53 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:38 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Technically, there was no Kool-Aid involved. Those cheapskate psychopaths went with Flavor-Aid, the knock-off brand. The confusion came about because US investigators, speaking to the press after the event, used the term "Kool-Aid", though it's not sure if they intended to refer to the wrong brand or simply were using it in the generic sense, as one might say Kleenex to mean a tissue.

It's a shame, too. That mascot made a lot of progress on a social front. Really broke barriers.

Bowing

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-01-2017, 06:09 AM
A deity should exist because it'd be nice if it did? Rolleyes Oh man.

Anyway Christian God is not very nice, if we define existence of Gods by what we prefer then I prefer that he doesn't exist.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2017, 06:42 AM
(11-01-2017 01:53 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:38 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Technically, there was no Kool-Aid involved. Those cheapskate psychopaths went with Flavor-Aid, the knock-off brand. The confusion came about because US investigators, speaking to the press after the event, used the term "Kool-Aid", though it's not sure if they intended to refer to the wrong brand or simply were using it in the generic sense, as one might say Kleenex to mean a tissue.

Oh, yeaaaaah!

This is why I like TTA; only here could a discussion of the need for gods devolve into a Kool-Aid commercial

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-01-2017, 07:08 AM
(10-01-2017 02:33 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  So.. after my last posts, and the users on this site making it clear, I'm just repeating stuff. I got a good question from a couple of users on this site.

Why does there need to be an deity??
Good question.
The answer :

He may not exist at all but His apparent existence is a sort of comfort for believers
on points such as suffering, the idea of reward for it, the deity also provides a convenient and easy explanation for those hard to explain things i.e.

"Why do I suffer"
It's God, man he's testing you

Like the above, its human nature to try and find answers even if there aren't any.

So in short, there needs to be a deity because His existence helps the vast majority of people just cope with day to day life (I guess) and some people can't accept that the world may JUST HAVE EXISTED, they need a cause and for them, that cause is God..

Be nice in the comments Wink

A belief in a God of some sort, is perhaps one of the most universal of human beliefs, this tendency seems to revolve around the intuitive and hard to dismiss assumption that we're part of a created order.

As a believer I'd put it this way, I find myself a part of existence, in which conscious self-aware creatures exist, creatures who seek meaning, and truth, and goodness, creatures with considerable moral and creative capacities, and sense that there's something more to all this, than the sum of it's parts, who seek purpose, akin to characters in story, who are not entirely aware of it's meaning. Why should i not assume we're a part of a created order, based on this? Why should i see any of these things as a product of uncreated order?

What's interesting is that most atheists one runs across, don't attempt to provide you a conception of a godless world, as if they posses some more believable alternative, instead they appeal to you to a lack a belief, to be agnostic on the question that we're so intuitively inclined to hold.

People like myself tend to believe in God, because the alternative seems a bit absurd, so much so that atheists prefer to lack a belief, than take it up.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-01-2017, 07:19 AM
(11-01-2017 06:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  A deity should exist because it'd be nice if it did? Rolleyes Oh man.

Anyway Christian God is not very nice, if we define existence of Gods by what we prefer then I prefer that he doesn't exist.

He seems like he's making efforts to reinterpret his religious knowledge into one of kindness and compassion, and he's just here expressing his ideas. It's not like he's trying to sell them to us. Whether I agree with his ideas or not, I think it's a step in the right direction that many Christians can afford to take.

Wait... maybe I'm reading this wrong. Cypher, are you here to convince us to believe what you believe, or just to share what you think?