Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 12:20 PM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
(02-02-2017 12:05 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 05:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is not up to us to define your claim. Facepalm

There is no evidence of any of the gods people claim. We can talk about yours once you have defined it.

Best of luck with that one. Remember the last debate I had in the boxing ring, where I went round and round for pages attempting to get my opponent to supply a meaningful (e.g. falsifiable) definition for their god? Yeah, they never actually supplied a coherent or meaningful definition either...
I'd just go back to "Why is there gravity?" Gravity just "is", isn't it? Nobody made it, nobody invented it, it simply exists as a phenomena between two bodies with mass.

So if someone says "Why gravity?", the satisfactory answer is - it just is.

So, now you sound like a Pentecostal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 12:36 PM
(06-02-2017 12:20 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 12:05 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Best of luck with that one. Remember the last debate I had in the boxing ring, where I went round and round for pages attempting to get my opponent to supply a meaningful (e.g. falsifiable) definition for their god? Yeah, they never actually supplied a coherent or meaningful definition either...
I'd just go back to "Why is there gravity?" Gravity just "is", isn't it? Nobody made it, nobody invented it, it simply exists as a phenomena between two bodies with mass.

So, now you sound like a Pentecostal.

... Um. God is like gravity? No it's not. Gravity is a coherent body of thought and precise mathematical descriptions. God is a ridiculous vague concept.

An equivalent formulation of a gravitational theory which matches the God concept in terms of explanatory power is to assert that planets move because of faeries, and that we will never understand faeries because they are goddamn mysterious.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-02-2017, 12:46 PM
(06-02-2017 12:03 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  If there is something more to the rejection, then I am all ears. Define what it is you reject. "Angry Skyman", "rainbow-farting blue Care Bear God", and "Casper the magic Ghost God" have all been dealt with, so maybe you can erect another one.

I reject all the conceptions of "god" that I've been presented as unevidenced and unnecessary I have no reason to go searching for something just so I can call it "god". If and when you can show me evidence of something that deserves the label I will believe it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
(06-02-2017 12:18 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I'm thinking you missed where I was headed. We are what we are, because our environment has shaped our evolution. The question is directed more to what has shaped our environment, that we might be the result.

I see no reason to believe that we were a goal. The odds against getting any specific hand of cards are incredibly high and yet there they are. It's only when you try to assume that a specific outcome of a random process was intended that you get into trouble.

(06-02-2017 12:20 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I'd just go back to "Why is there gravity?"

I think you are asking a meaningless question. "Why" questions about things that just are don't get you anywhere.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-02-2017, 04:19 PM
(06-02-2017 12:03 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I continue to feel that rejecting "God" when that term is indeterminate is simply the 3 year old rejecting "peas" because he has never before put small green spheres in his mouth before.

Accepting an idea with no clear definition of that idea, or evidence for that idea is irrational.

All you are doing is operating in a fog of confirmation bias.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-02-2017, 04:25 PM
(06-02-2017 12:20 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 12:05 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Best of luck with that one. Remember the last debate I had in the boxing ring, where I went round and round for pages attempting to get my opponent to supply a meaningful (e.g. falsifiable) definition for their god? Yeah, they never actually supplied a coherent or meaningful definition either...

No, the answer is that it is a part of the fabric of our reality.

Quote:So, now you sound like a Pentecostal.

Not even close. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Cypher44 Wrote:Why does there need to be an deity??
A better question: why does there need to be a mortal man? or a woman?
When we know the answer to this question we know the answer to the question: why does there need to be a deity?

Cypher44 Wrote:"Why do I suffer"
1) I can know what pain/misery is
2) I can become ALL-knowing diety.
3) I can overcome trials and become a better/stronger person. More godlike.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
13-02-2017, 10:55 AM
(13-02-2017 10:48 AM)Alla Wrote:  A better question: why does there need to be a mortal man? or a woman?
When we know the answer to this question we know the answer to the question: why does there need to be a deity?

So... there doesn't need to be one, then.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-02-2017, 11:11 AM
(13-02-2017 10:48 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Cypher44 Wrote:Why does there need to be an deity??
A better question: why does there need to be a mortal man? or a woman?

We know the answer: there doesn't need to be. We are a product of evolution.

Quote:When we know the answer to this question we know the answer to the question: why does there need to be a deity?

We know the answer.

Quote:
Cypher44 Wrote:"Why do I suffer"
1) I can know what pain/misery is
2) I can become ALL-knowing diety.
3) I can overcome trials and become a better/stronger person. More godlike.

When you die, you will be very godlike: non-existent. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 11:11 AM
(13-02-2017 10:55 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 10:48 AM)Alla Wrote:  A better question: why does there need to be a mortal man? or a woman?

So... there doesn't need to be one, then.

I didn't say this.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED