Why should a deity exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2017, 09:43 PM
RE: Why should a deity exist?
(19-02-2017 07:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  I have never said that God is a man. Never, ever.
I said that God is glorified, immortal, resurrected Man.
Then you said he's a man. "glorified, immortal, resurrected" are just adjectives. Capitalizing "man" doesn't change its meaning, it only makes it grammatically incorrect (or perhaps signals a special religious meaning that you can't reasonably expect the nonreligious to understand).

And here again it's not 100% clear if you're talking about god the father or god the son or god period.

It's not that I care, it's just that tracking the dogmas of various churches is like nailing Jello to a wall. People have imagined so many things about god that it should be obvious by now to any honest observer that it is nothing more THAN what people imagine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2017, 11:05 PM
mordant Wrote:Then you said he's a man. "glorified, immortal, resurrected" are just adjectives. Capitalizing "man" doesn't change its meaning, it only makes it grammatically incorrect (or perhaps signals a special religious meaning that you can't reasonably expect the nonreligious to understand).
"a man" in the scriptures is reference to a mortal man that is why God says that He is not a man. Meaning He is not mortal.
mordant Wrote:And here again it's not 100% clear if you're talking about god the father or god the son or god period.
It's not that I care, it's just that tracking the dogmas of various churches is like nailing Jello to a wall.....
Sure, I understand.
When I talk about God sometimes I talk about God the Father, sometimes it is about God the Son, sometimes it is about God the Holy Ghost. Sometimes it is about three of them because they are members of one Godhead.
In this thread I had in mind God the Father. My Heavenly Father. Father of my spirit.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-02-2017, 11:08 PM
(19-02-2017 09:38 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 07:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  You are talking about Jesus Christ. He was mortal man but not like us. We have both mortal parents. Christ had only one mortal parent (according to the Bible)
Well yes but standard Christian dogma is that Jesus is god in the flesh, immortal, fully god and fully man. Your doctrine simply imagines something else, which is fine with me, but I'm sure is not fine with many Christians, particularly evangelicals. This is exactly why Mormonism has difficulty being accepted by Christianity when it wants to be considered a Christian religion.

no, we believe that Jesus is God Yahweh, He became mortal man.

20-02-2017, 02:10 PM
(19-02-2017 07:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  I have never said that God is a man. Never, ever.
I said that God is glorified, immortal, resurrected Man.
Again, nowhere in the OT or NT is such a thing taught. That the Son of God, of the trinity interpretation, is both God and a man, yes. But there is no place in the OT and NT is it anywhere taught that God is glorified, immortal, resurrected man. Not that it should matter, there not being any gods.
21-02-2017, 03:03 AM
(20-02-2017 02:10 PM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Again, nowhere in the OT or NT is such a thing taught. That the Son of God, of the trinity interpretation, is both God and a man, yes. But there is no place in the OT and NT is it anywhere taught that God is glorified, immortal, resurrected man. Not that it should matter, there not being any gods.

Alla is not a traditional Christian. I believe she professes to the Mormon faith, but if I remember correctly, much of her personal theology would be called "entirely bonkers" even by other members of that church.

There is no point in debating her on the details of scripture. She doesn't care, and is explicitly making up her own version of God that can be literally anything she wants it to be.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
22-02-2017, 09:41 AM
(21-02-2017 03:03 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 02:10 PM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Again, nowhere in the OT or NT is such a thing taught. That the Son of God, of the trinity interpretation, is both God and a man, yes. But there is no place in the OT and NT is it anywhere taught that God is glorified, immortal, resurrected man. Not that it should matter, there not being any gods.

Alla is not a traditional Christian. I believe she professes to the Mormon faith, but if I remember correctly, much of her personal theology would be called "entirely bonkers" even by other members of that church.

There is no point in debating her on the details of scripture. She doesn't care, and is explicitly making up her own version of God that can be literally anything she wants it to be.
I guess for her truth does not matter either way. God or no god.
22-02-2017, 09:46 AM
(19-02-2017 11:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 09:38 PM)mordant Wrote:  Well yes but standard Christian dogma is that Jesus is god in the flesh, immortal, fully god and fully man. Your doctrine simply imagines something else, which is fine with me, but I'm sure is not fine with many Christians, particularly evangelicals. This is exactly why Mormonism has difficulty being accepted by Christianity when it wants to be considered a Christian religion.

no, we believe that Jesus is God Yahweh, He became mortal man.
Who is "we?" And why?
22-02-2017, 09:56 AM
(22-02-2017 09:46 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 11:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  no, we believe that Jesus is God Yahweh, He became mortal man.
Who is "we?" And why?

LDS(Mormons)

why do we believe this? is this what you ask?

26-02-2017, 11:38 AM
(22-02-2017 09:56 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 09:46 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  Who is "we?" And why?

LDS(Mormons)

why do we believe this? is this what you ask?
No. Your answer LDS(Mormons) also answers the why. So like I had said, there not being any gods.