Why should prostitution be illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Why should prostitution be illegal?
Apart from antiquated and illogical morality, is there a reason why it should be illegal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
RE: Why should prostitution be illegal?
Nope.

As long as its regulated with good working conditions and done legally and safely.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-01-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 09:23 AM by Free Thought.)
If you discard abuse, forced prostitution, sexually transmitable illnesses and the always present murder (does that come under abuse?) there is no reason why it should be illegal.
It must be said that I got a good, hearty laugh from Nami calling something illogical. Oh the irony.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Because law-enforcement agencies get the budgets to enforce a law that they aren't really expected to enforce.
Easy, risk-free arrest, collect bail, levy fine, let them go; repeat monthly.
Bribes and protection from pimps for unreported revenue; payment in kind for perks.
Meanwhile, seen to be doing something for the Moral Majority.

Rationally, prostitution should be legal, licensed, taxed, regulated and inspected, thus protecting the underaged and coerced, while safeguarding public health.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
08-01-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 01:29 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
Nope, you finally found one that made sense. Prostitution has no real reason for being illegal except antiquated morality. Sure, there's a good justification for regulation to minimize spread of STDs, but that doesn't necessitate the decriminalization of the act in the first place.

Peterkin has the right of it, the moral majority expects their morality to be enforced, they elect government and law enforcement officials, laws are made to enforce that morality and the cops in the trenches keep enforcing it while money is changing hands above as well as below the table.

Ultimately, I have to point out that a woman and man can meet, total strangers, then go up to a hotel room and have wild meaningless sex and then go home and never even ask each other's name. Totally legal everywhere. But if one of them pays the other one for that sex, it's suddenly immoral and illegal.

So the real question is why is it illegal to receive money for something you can do for free?

I play chess. People ask me about chess all the time. I now have a dozen people who pay me to teach them chess. Thankfully, chess doesn't work like prostitution - I can do it for free and I can charge money for it too.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Sense is subjective, you dolt.
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
(08-01-2013 01:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Nope, you finally one that made sense. Prostitution has no real reason for being illegal except antiquated morality. Sure, there's a good justification for regulation to minimize spread of STDs, but that doesn't necessitate the decriminalization of the act in the first place.

Peterkin has the right of it, the moral majority expects their morality to be enforced, they elect government and law enforcement officials, laws are made to enforce that morality and the cops in the trenches keep enforcing it while money is changing hands above as well as below the table.

Ultimately, I have to point out that a woman and man can meet, total strangers, then go up to a hotel room and have wild meaningless sex and then go home and never even ask each other's name. Totally legal everywhere. But if one of them pays the other one for that sex, it's suddenly immoral and illegal.

So the real question is why is it illegal to receive money for something you can do for free?

I play chess. People ask me about chess all the time. I now have a dozen people who pay me to teach them chess. Thankfully, chess doesn't work like prostitution - I can do it for free and I can charge money for it too.

Chess whore. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM
(08-01-2013 01:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Nope, you finally one that made sense. Prostitution has no real reason for being illegal except antiquated morality. Sure, there's a good justification for regulation to minimize spread of STDs, but that doesn't necessitate the decriminalization of the act in the first place.

and? as said, antiquated morals. keep up.
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM
(08-01-2013 01:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Chess whore. Angry
I can live with that.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
(08-01-2013 01:28 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  

and? as said, antiquated morals. keep up.
How was I not keeping up? I agreed with you for a change. Are you just not used to it so you have to lash out even when someone agrees?