Why should prostitution be illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: Why should prostitution be illegal?
Agree? since when does agreeing denote validity?

So you also endorse the bandwagon fallacy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Nami are you capable of responding with something that isn't "subjective" or "moral".

You sound like a broken record.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Everything is subjective. it's simply how i think/relate.
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
(08-01-2013 09:14 AM)bemore Wrote:  Nope.

As long as its regulated with good working conditions and done legally and safely.

Like the cannabis trade should be.
08-01-2013, 08:19 PM
cause we need a way to get rid of fucking stupid politicians ok. HOLY SHIT

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
08-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Because God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Desiree.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
(08-01-2013 11:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Desiree.
Oh man. The bible would be SO much more interesting if it started that way Tongue

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-01-2013, 11:23 PM

As long as its regulated with good working conditions and done legally and safely.
I'm for legalizing pretty much everything people can do to themselves, including prostitution, but this was a dumb statement. It should be legal as it's done legally. What the hell does that mean? I am also for regulating as minimally as possible, but this may be a good idea for prostitution, but again minimally. I'm not trying to be offensive bemore, I have a lot of respect for you, especially in the philosophy area.

09-01-2013, 09:11 PM
(08-01-2013 11:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

I'm for legalizing pretty much everything people can do to themselves, including prostitution, but this was a dumb statement. It should be legal as it's done legally. What the hell does that mean? I am also for regulating as minimally as possible, but this may be a good idea for prostitution, but again minimally. I'm not trying to be offensive bemore, I have a lot of respect for you, especially in the philosophy area.
You can legalize prostitution, but a brothel could still be found conducting illegal activities. Such as coercing girls, particularly underage girls.
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
(09-01-2013 09:11 PM)Diablo Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 11:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm for legalizing pretty much everything people can do to themselves, including prostitution, but this was a dumb statement. It should be legal as it's done legally. What the hell does that mean? I am also for regulating as minimally as possible, but this may be a good idea for prostitution, but again minimally. I'm not trying to be offensive bemore, I have a lot of respect for you, especially in the philosophy area.
You can legalize prostitution, but a brothel could still be found conducting illegal activities. Such as coercing girls, particularly underage girls.
Maybe.

The funny thing about legalizing anything that's currently illegal is that it takes all the profit out of the illegal version of it. Legalize prostitution and there's no money to be made doing it illegally.

Consider your choices:

A) Go uptown to a legal brothel, pay $50, get laid by a clean, disease-free prostitute. No risk, no hassle, no problem.
B) Go downtown to an illegal brothel, pay $50, get laid by a random prostitute who might have all kinds of diseases. Meanwhile you might also get arrested for breaking the law. Lots of risk, lots of hassle, big problem.

So the pimp running option B has to drop prices. Would $40 be low enough? No way, I'd pay the extra $10 to be save and legal. Would $30 be low enough. Nah, still not. How about $20? OK, maybe now he'd get enough business to be worth it. But where does he get the girl? The same girl can go over to the legal brothel and do the same job, with greater safety and protection, and get paid a lot more to do it. Even if the pimp can hang onto some girls, his profit margin is so low at those prices that he could go get a job waiting tables at Denny's and make the same cash, but now he gets medical and dental and sick time and doesn't have to worry about other criminal pimps cutting into his turf by breaking his knee caps.

The only thing left would be if option B offered things that you can't get legally. Kids, S&M (beyond what might be legal), snuff, necro, whatever. The gross, illegal, nasty crap. Well, you may not ever really get rid of that - if people would be offering that in a world where (normal) prostitution is legal, then surely they offer it today where it's illegal.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post