Why should prostitution be illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: Why should prostitution be illegal?
Why Adam? Such a plain name. Why not something more cool like "Serious Sam"... first he made Serious Sam and Pamela Anderson.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Pamela Anderson? Gonna need a few more fig leaves.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I think we've got it about right over here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Singapore

"Prostitution in Singapore is legal, but various prostitution-related activities are not. This includes public solicitation, living on the earnings of a prostitute and maintaining a brothel. In practice, police unofficially tolerate and monitor a limited number of brothels. Prostitutes in such establishments are required to undergo periodic health checks and must carry a health card...."

09-01-2013, 11:36 PM
(09-01-2013 10:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think we've got it about right over here...

"Prostitution in Singapore is legal, but various prostitution-related activities are not. This includes public solicitation, living on the earnings of a prostitute and maintaining a brothel. In practice, police unofficially tolerate and monitor a limited number of brothels. Prostitutes in such establishments are required to undergo periodic health checks and must carry a health card...."
Prostitution is legal, but you can't public solicit it, and you can't own a brothel. So how in the hell do you advertise your services? You can't!

"In practice, police unofficially tolerate and monitor a limited number of brothels. "
In other words, the system in place makes no sense and doesn't work.

Also, it goes on to say that you can't live on the earnings. Ok, WTF? How could they possibly regulate something like this? Again, seemingly impossible.

This is a system is so ridiculous ineffective that it reminds me of the drug war.

Simplicity is key imo.
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
(09-01-2013 11:36 PM)Diablo Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 10:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think we've got it about right over here...

Prostitution is legal, but you can't public solicit it, and you can't own a brothel. So how in the hell do you advertise your services? You can't!

"In practice, police unofficially tolerate and monitor a limited number of brothels. "
In other words, the system in place makes no sense and doesn't work.

Also, it goes on to say that you can't live on the earnings. Ok, WTF? How could they possibly regulate something like this? Again, seemingly impossible.

This is a system is so ridiculous ineffective that it reminds me of the drug war.

Simplicity is key imo.

Yet, it works.

Go figure.
Drinking Beverage

10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
The laws as they stand don't work. That is why you have illegal, yet regulated brothels, and unregulated brothels fronting as massage parlors.

Its like you guys made it legal, but you were too ashamed to admit it.
10-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Laws and what a society deems is acceptable / unacceptable are very often out of synch.

I think there are still laws in the UK about not driving your geese through London at certain times of the year Smile

The principle seems to be that selling sex and giving it away for free are OK. But if you try to make a living out of forcing someone else to do it... you get slapped!

10-01-2013, 04:58 AM
(10-01-2013 12:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I think there are still laws in the UK about not driving your geese through London at certain times of the year
Good law. I have one better - in Salt Lake City, Utah, also known as the Mormon Vatican, the city is on the shores of, well, you guessed it, the Great Salt Lake. It is in our state law that it is illegal for the lake to rise about a certain depth. Illegal. The lake. Sure, at the "illegal" depth it tends to flood many streets and businesses downtown.

Illegal.

Like we're going to arrest a lake, throw it in jail.

I bet it would get out on "bail" anyway... Yeah, I just thought of that one right now. Call it sleep deprivation...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
10-01-2013, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 05:31 AM by DLJ.)
AS,
In the UK, much of the law is based on 'intent'.

So the key question would be whether the lake intended to rise above the permited level.

Fucking lakes. Who do they think they are?

10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Providing it is properly regulated I don't see there being a problem as a whole, but I doubt a politician is going to come out and say they supported legalising prostitution since it makes them unelectable to many.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  1 in 10 Deaths related to Alcohol, Marijuana still illegal Revenant77x 28 366 02-07-2014 09:07 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Legalizing Prostitution TheKetola 284 3,303 06-12-2013 02:31 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Why is bestiality illegal? MisterMaggot 161 12,479 06-11-2013 11:02 PM
Last Post: Can_of_Beans
  Drug smuggling, drug lords, pimping, prostitution, rape..... I and I 0 228 04-10-2013 02:23 PM
Last Post: I and I
  Should chemical weapons be internationally illegal? I and I 7 510 12-09-2013 08:57 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Why is necrophilia illegal? MisterMaggot 62 9,774 23-01-2013 06:35 AM
Last Post: Vera
  National implications if NOT voting was made illegal? PoolBoyG 117 3,264 19-12-2012 10:25 AM
Last Post: Logica Humano