Why shouldn't I move to your country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 10:53 AM
RE: Why shouldn't I move to your country?
(22-06-2017 10:01 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 09:18 AM)Vera Wrote:  This reminded me on Wodehouse's would-be dictator, Roderick Spode (whose supporters are called the black-shorts, 'cause they'd apparently run out of shirts for all the parties) and really made me laugh Big Grin

Here's Bertie giving him what for (feeling safe, because he has dirt on Spode, namely:
Jeeves: Mr Spode designs ladies' underclothing, sir. He has a considerable talent in that direction, and has indulged it secretly for some years. He is the founder and proprietor of the emporium in Bond Street known as Eulalie Soeurs.

Bertie: You don't mean that?

Jeeves: Yes, sir.

Bertie: Good Lord, Jeeves! No wonder he didn't want the thing to come out.

Jeeves: No, sir. It would unquestionably jeopardize his authority over his followers.

Bertie: You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing.

Jeeves: No, sir.

Bertie: One or the other, but not both.

Jeeves: Precisely, sir.

"The trouble with you, Spode, is that because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of halfwits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting 'Heil Spode!' and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: 'Look at that frightful ass Spode, swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher!' "

(I've actually seen Trump compared to Spode in more than one article)

'I am not in the habit of talking rot'

'Well, I must say you're doing dashed well for a beginner'

Is that Hugh Laurie driving the car!?

Yes. It's from the Jeeves and Wooster series starring Laurie as Wooster and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. (very worth checking out if you're a fan of Wodehouse, Fry, and/or Laurie, although they do alter some of the plot points of the stories)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Fuck, I'm an idiot! Yes, that's Hugh Laurie... Picture my embarrassment [Image: blush.gif]

It's actually a decent ecranisation (even if they've changed some of the stories. Not as good as the books, of course, but quite okay)

Julep, I'm not the biggest fan of audiobooks (prefer to read) but Wodehouse's books read by Joanthan Cecil (only by him, none of the others) actually make them funnier! His Madeleine Bassett is the funniest thing ever!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-06-2017, 11:19 AM
[Image: california-county-map.gif]

As you may have heard here, on TTA ( Weeping )
we are are our own "communist" country Angel
Don't move here because the weather is just too nice, ALL the time, it will bore you to tears, ... way too much nice weather, and way too many ocean breezes, too many arts festivals, too many opportunities, too many fine schools, too many fine restaurants, too many zoos and wild animal parks, too many things to keep you busy, too many nice weird people, and such and such.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-06-2017, 11:26 AM
(22-06-2017 10:57 AM)Vera Wrote:  Fuck, I'm an idiot! Yes, that's Hugh Laurie... Picture my embarrassment [Image: blush.gif]

It's actually a decent ecranisation (even if they've changed some of the stories. Not as good as the books, of course, but quite okay)

Julep, I'm not the biggest fan of audiobooks (prefer to read) but Wodehouse's books read by Joanthan Cecil (only by him, none of the others) actually make them funnier! His Madeleine Bassett is the funniest thing ever!

Jeeves is a great butler name. Our (pretend) butler is "Meadows" but I heard Miss Marple's chauffer / taxi driver's name is "Inch" ... that's better than "Meadows" or "Flinders".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-06-2017, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a Meadows in Wodehouse. Possibly Aunt Dahlia's? Consider

Inch, if I remember aright, was the taxi company (possibly consisting of only one taxi Rolleyes ) in St. Mary Mead, Miss Marple's village...

22-06-2017, 11:43 AM
(22-06-2017 11:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  I'm pretty sure there's a Meadows in Wodehouse.

Nope, it's in Colorado.

"Well, it's a well-known fact, sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world-- known as 'The Pentaverate'-- who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado known as 'The Meadows'."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-06-2017, 11:52 AM
(22-06-2017 11:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Nope, it's in Colorado.

"Well, it's a well-known fact, sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world-- known as 'The Pentaverate'-- who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado known as 'The Meadows'."

Dodgy

And! Found it! Meadowes was Jeeves' predecessor, who had flat feet and used to clump and didn't "float noiselessly" like Jeeves. Also, he pinched Bertie's silk socks Yes

Also, Jeeves ain't no butler! Jeeves is a valet, a gentleman's personal gentleman Yes

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-06-2017, 12:15 PM
(22-06-2017 11:52 AM)Vera Wrote:  And! Found it! Meadowes was Jeeves' predecessor, who had flat feet and used to clump and didn't "float noiselessly" like Jeeves. Also, he pinched Bertie's silk socks Yes

Also, Jeeves ain't no butler! Jeeves is a valet, a gentleman's personal gentleman Yes

Quite right! He was, though, able to buttle with best of them should it prove necessary.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
22-06-2017, 01:27 PM
(21-06-2017 03:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'll be the first.

This fucking asshole. [Image: donald-trump.jpg]

It's probably already been said, but THIS fucking asshole, who is probably going to wind up replacing THAT fucking asshole:

[Image: 16688738525_eaa1ac1c13_b.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
22-06-2017, 01:30 PM
(22-06-2017 06:07 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  This sounds exactly like Toronto, except add at least an hour per day on to your commute time.

For the transport or also for the people ? because canadians seem really nice !
I knew public transports were a pain in Toronto (there's even a song from the Great Lake Swimmers about it), but I had no idea it was worse than in Paris, 3h/day is really too much to handle on the long run !

(22-06-2017 06:47 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I had a great conversation with a café owner in France. He wanted so badly to move to the U.S. I was incredulous as to why, he lives in the land of culture and art and food!

He said the French are too argumentative and contrarian for no good reason. And he also said they lie often!
Just funny to hear the same thing from another French person.
Sturm, are you the café guy? lol

haha, no that's not me, but if you remember the name and place of the café, I would gladly visit it next time I go to Paris, would be good to be in a friendly place Smile

That's actually not the first time I hear about other french having this same opinion, but that's still very rare !
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post