Why shouldn't I move to your country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2017 02:02 PM by Heath_Tierney.)
RE: Why shouldn't I move to your country?
(22-06-2017 01:30 PM)Sturm Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 06:07 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  This sounds exactly like Toronto, except add at least an hour per day on to your commute time.

For the transport or also for the people ? because canadians seem really nice !
I knew public transports were a pain in Toronto (there's even a song from the Great Lake Swimmers about it), but I had no idea it was worse than in Paris, 3h/day is really too much to handle on the long run!

The major highway that runs through Toronto is called the 401.

It is the busiest road in North America. Busier than New York. Busier than Boston. Even busier than LA. Perhaps even the busiest in the world.

The subway system in Toronto was built in the late 1940's to mid 1950's and hasn't been substantially upgraded.

Here's the subway map for a city of nearly 3 million people:
[Image: 14c3f8a3-4238-4c0a-8c79-86e705b04d5c.jpg]

Compare that with the subway systems of Paris, or London, or Rome.

Toronto has, for decades and decades, prided itself on having low property taxes. Now the impacts of those low taxes are being felt: 24/7 gridlock, closed libraries and perpetually jammed transit.

I hope denizens of Toronto are happy with their choice.

*edit to add*

The transit system in Toronto is called the TTC. It stands for Take The Car.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
22-06-2017, 01:54 PM
In Canada, you can get lake front property for dirt cheap or you can go broke trying to live in a metropolitan area with horrendous traffic and a crappy.public transportation system. Call me a redneck, but I will never understand the draw of the "big city", relatively speaking.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-06-2017, 02:00 PM
(22-06-2017 01:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In Canada, you can get lake front property for dirt cheap or you can go broke trying to live in a metropolitan area with horrendous traffic and a crappy.public transportation system. Call me a redneck, but I will never understand the draw of the "big city", relatively speaking.

No dirt-cheap lakefront property anymore, unless you're interested in living in the Northwest Territories.

I know. I've been looking for three years now for a lakefront cottage/retirement home. Prices have skyrocketed. People are cashing out of the million-dollar-plus homes in places like Toronto (a million bucks in Toronto won't get you much) and getting outtatown.
22-06-2017, 02:09 PM
(22-06-2017 02:00 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 01:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In Canada, you can get lake front property for dirt cheap or you can go broke trying to live in a metropolitan area with horrendous traffic and a crappy.public transportation system. Call me a redneck, but I will never understand the draw of the "big city", relatively speaking.

No dirt-cheap lakefront property anymore, unless you're interested in living in the Northwest Territories.

I know. I've been looking for three years now for a lakefront cottage/retirement home. Prices have skyrocketed. People are cashing out of the million-dollar-plus homes in places like Toronto (a million bucks in Toronto won't get you much) and getting outtatown.

I picked up a couple acres for 12.5k in 2015 in Rivière Rouge. The trick is you have to be willing to clear it and get a house built yourself Tongue

An inconvenience, but in the end I'll have that vacation home for a fraction of what a tiny condo would cost Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-06-2017, 02:17 PM
(22-06-2017 02:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I picked up a couple acres for 12.5k in 2015 in Rivière Rouge. The trick is you have to be willing to clear it and get a house built yourself Tongue

Nice find. But that's an 8+ hour drive for me.
22-06-2017, 02:37 PM
(22-06-2017 01:49 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 01:30 PM)Sturm Wrote:  For the transport or also for the people ? because canadians seem really nice !
I knew public transports were a pain in Toronto (there's even a song from the Great Lake Swimmers about it), but I had no idea it was worse than in Paris, 3h/day is really too much to handle on the long run!

The major highway that runs through Toronto is called the 401.

It is the busiest road in North America. Busier than New York. Busier than Boston. Even busier than LA. Perhaps even the busiest in the world.

The subway system in Toronto was built in the late 1940's to mid 1950's and hasn't been substantially upgraded.

Here's the subway map for a city of nearly 3 million people:
[Image: 14c3f8a3-4238-4c0a-8c79-86e705b04d5c.jpg]

Compare that with the subway systems of Paris, or London, or Rome.

Toronto has, for decades and decades, prided itself on having low property taxes. Now the impacts of those low taxes are being felt: 24/7 gridlock, closed libraries and perpetually jammed transit.

I hope denizens of Toronto are happy with their choice.

*edit to add*

The transit system in Toronto is called the TTC. It stands for Take The Car.

Shocking
wow, it looks like an embryo of subway system ! and from what I have seen, Toronto area is 6 times bigger than Paris, while in Paris there are almost 20 subway lines (actually subway + underground trains), and even in Paris this is a pain to use the subway to go from one place to another, it's not rare to spend 1 hour because you need to change line 3 times.
I have never seen 8 lanes highway ! that means an incredible amount of pollution right in the middle of the city (fortunately, the area around seems rather green, so maybe not too many industries to add up to the pollution).
Now I think about it, one of my best friend is moving to from Paris to Toronto in a couple of month, I had no idea about the public transport problem and I think he also ignores it, I hope he will be able to deal with the commute everyday.
22-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Toronto may have bad traffic, but I drove the 405 Fwy through LA for 25 years, 47 miles one way. It can be done in 41 minutes (my land speed record) if one drives after 11 PM but before 2 AM when the bars close, and the drunks are weaving all over it.

My time record is 4 hours, to get home. Once, when we had had some torrential rain, the other the aforementioned fire scenario. To be fair, I had to detour about 20 miles, along with most everyone else, in the fire scenario. The greater Los Angeles area has no public transit that work for me. It would be 2.5 hours each direction, and that's if I stepped off one train onto the next with no delay.
23-06-2017, 05:26 AM
(22-06-2017 02:37 PM)Sturm Wrote:  Shocking
wow, it looks like an embryo of subway system ! and from what I have seen, Toronto area is 6 times bigger than Paris, while in Paris there are almost 20 subway lines (actually subway + underground trains), and even in Paris this is a pain to use the subway to go from one place to another, it's not rare to spend 1 hour because you need to change line 3 times.
I have never seen 8 lanes highway ! that means an incredible amount of pollution right in the middle of the city (fortunately, the area around seems rather green, so maybe not too many industries to add up to the pollution).
Now I think about it, one of my best friend is moving to from Paris to Toronto in a couple of month, I had no idea about the public transport problem and I think he also ignores it, I hope he will be able to deal with the commute everyday.
The TTC is a mess. Just recently they've started doing random drug tests on TTC personnel and the findings aren't good: TTC driver tests positive for on-duty drug use

I was in Paris back in the spring of 2016 and milady and I used the Metro pretty much every day. Aside from a bit of initial confusion, once we got the system figured out we found it was a breeze. We were staying at an AirB&B in the 15th arrondissement not far from the Lourmel Metro and had zero problem getting around. And, to a person, we found Parisians to be *gasp* actually polite. We never felt threatened, always felt welcomed, had a great time.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
23-06-2017, 10:27 AM

I agree.

'Course you spend 8 months of the year freezing your ass off in the Yukon Territory shitting in a bucket in your backyard and need all your supplies flown in by airplane. Still.....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-06-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2017 10:49 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
Yeah everyone here picks off the low hanging fruit about what you hate about the USA. But what about this asshole?

[Image: kim-kardashian-0b40d1ae-954e-4c37-8893-0a3eee38b3ac.jpg]

Or these fuckers?

[Image: screenshot_2015-11-09_at_91.jpg]

Or this bitch who made me hate Atheists?

[Image: AngryFeminist.png]

What about this horrible TV show which ruined the History Channel?

[Image: Ancient_aliens.png]

Or this fucking asshole?

[Image: maxresdefault.0.jpg]

Or this one?

[Image: rush_limbaugh7.jpg]

Or this one?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade