Why so many sad xmas songs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Why so many sad xmas songs?
The title really says it all. Why are so many songs at Christmas so damned DEPRESSING? Is it that people don't listen to the lyrics? "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams." Dude WON'T be home! Then there's Blue Christmas. I thought this was supposed to be a HAPPY holiday (hell that's what everyone calls out) so WTF?

And how about really suspect songs? 'Little Drummer Boy' has "the ox and lamb kept time"... really? He's a DRUMMER and he needs barnyard animals to keep time for him!? How about 'I Saw Three Ships'? Dude saw three ships and Mary and Jesus were on them. ... Two people on three ships. Did they rotate them or just grind them down and spread evenly?

Might be able to come up with more but, as always, I'm on cell. Not the easiest for typing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
RE: Why so many sad xmas songs?
Well. For many people, Christmas holidays are depressing. For me, for example. It used to be all lights and gifts and Christmas trees and happy childhood homey warmth. Now it's not. So I guess people like me felt the need to express that.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
01-12-2013, 07:17 PM
I hate Christmas songs. It's just a long month where I will eventually have to be with my family, who do nothing but bitch and moan and make me feel bad, and then another year, then Christmas again.

idk, religion is very sadistic, that might be why. "HEY, you happy there? Bam, now you're sad. Go pray to Jesus you fucking greedy ass ungrateful whore."

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
01-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Because people are angsty. one of the most popular styles of music for a long time was the blues. I also noticed on of my favourite artists, Stan Rogers, has about 50% of his songs sad in some sort of way.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Stan Rogers also has two good Christmas songs, one happy and one sad.

The first one is about getting ready for christmas

And the second is about being alone on christmas, very sad.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
What IS your problem ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Not really providing anything new I guess here but I think why we have so many not happy Christmas songs is because Christmas for quite a few people is not a happy time (with reasons varying from being alone to hating all the damn advertising/hype) and that people tend to vent the negative/unhappy emotions more than the happy ones. Like how you have people call a company questionnaire to complain more often to say how great the staff was. I mean, that how it seems to me. Doesn't make music like that easier to listen to but eh.
For the weird/suspect song, I've always wondered why the hell "My Favorite Things" is a Christmas song. I mean it doesn't even happen around Christmas time when they sing it!! Is it? I don't know, I didn't finish Sound of Music and I don't remember much of it other than the curtain clothes.

All I really know is this here is a classic to me here. Oh "Weird Al" Yankovic, what would the world be without you?

Now I have an urge to look up more Stan Rogers....

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
01-12-2013, 11:19 PM
(01-12-2013 02:26 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  The title really says it all. Why are so many songs at Christmas so damned DEPRESSING? Is it that people don't listen to the lyrics? "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams." Dude WON'T be home!

That one bummed me out when I was deployed. Why the fuck does AFRTS (Pronounced A-Farts, Armed Forces Radio and Television Service) insist on playing that in the middle of a shithole for all the lonely people to hear? Dodgy

02-12-2013, 12:03 AM
More Christmas music needs awesome 80's guitar solos.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
02-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Actually, I've never found Christmas music to be depressing at all.

Hearing Christmas music non-stop for weeks on end can be depressing, though.