Why so many sad xmas songs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 05:35 AM
RE: Why so many sad xmas songs?
(01-12-2013 02:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well. For many people, Christmas holidays are depressing. For me, for example. It used to be all lights and gifts and Christmas trees and happy childhood homey warmth. Now it's not. So I guess people like me felt the need to express that.

Why is it not good for you anymore?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
One station here has been playing non-stop xmas music since Nov 1st.

As for depressing, I have 2 words for you... Christmas Shoes (worst, most depressing song ever!).

Need to find the Dr. Demento xmas special and share that with my kids!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 1 user Likes Silo1180's post
03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
(01-12-2013 02:26 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  The title really says it all. Why are so many songs at Christmas so damned DEPRESSING? Is it that people don't listen to the lyrics? "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams." Dude WON'T be home! Then there's Blue Christmas. I thought this was supposed to be a HAPPY holiday (hell that's what everyone calls out) so WTF?

And how about really suspect songs? 'Little Drummer Boy' has "the ox and lamb kept time"... really? He's a DRUMMER and he needs barnyard animals to keep time for him!? How about 'I Saw Three Ships'? Dude saw three ships and Mary and Jesus were on them. ... Two people on three ships. Did they rotate them or just grind them down and spread evenly?

Might be able to come up with more but, as always, I'm on cell. Not the easiest for typing.

So that the happy people can say "Pffft, fuck, glad that ain't me!"

[Image: 9f6.gif]
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't mind Christmas songs. Happy, sad, silly, whatever...but I would be fine with hearing them for a day or two before Christmas and have them end on Christmas night.

Hearing Christmas music in November means I will be sick of it long before Christmas actually arrives.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-12-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't think it's that there are "so many" sad Christmas songs. I think in any genre, the sad songs are always the best ones. The sad ones tend to resonate the most emotionally, so they are more memorable.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
(03-12-2013 02:11 PM)Silo1180 Wrote:  One station here has been playing non-stop xmas music since Nov 1st.

As for depressing, I have 2 words for you... Christmas Shoes (worst, most depressing song ever!).

Need to find the Dr. Demento xmas special and share that with my kids!

Oh shit yes, that fucking song.....Angry