Why so many trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2012, 08:44 PM
RE: Why so many trolls
(14-01-2012 12:01 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Granted I am new to this site, But I don't get it. Why would a Christian want to be on a Atheist site? Why would a Muslim want to be on this site too? I don't go to Christian sites to troll. I guess I just don't get it. I'm not attacking either side, I just don't understand it. I will never change my mind over this. If you join a Atheist site you are pretty much set in your thinking. No irrational theology is going to change my mind. It's all mythology and stupidity to me.

And, you're supposed to be the "free thinker" and I'm supposed to be "the close minded one"?

lolk

*sits down*

'splain.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-01-2012, 09:00 PM
(14-01-2012 12:01 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Granted I am new to this site, But I don't get it. Why would a Christian want to be on a Atheist site? Why would a Muslim want to be on this site too? I don't go to Christian sites to troll. I guess I just don't get it.

'Cause we're a hell of a lot more fun and interesting.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-01-2012, 09:06 AM
(14-01-2012 09:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Cause we're a hell of a lot more fun and interesting.

This is actually pretty true.

That and when I try to have a theological discussion with a typical Christian it's like a speaking a different language to them.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-01-2012, 10:18 AM
(14-01-2012 09:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Cause we're a hell of a lot more fun and interesting.

Most Christians I have ever met were total ass wipes and never knew how to have any fun.
17-01-2012, 08:04 AM
(16-01-2012 10:18 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  

Most Christians I have ever met were total ass wipes and never knew how to have any fun.

AH! But you see? That's where you can have some "fun" with them. There are questions that one can ask hardcore theists that cannot be answered. OH it is fun to watch their little minds scramble around trying to come up with an answer that doesn't exist.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
17-01-2012, 09:03 AM
(14-01-2012 12:01 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Granted I am new to this site, But I don't get it. Why would a Christian want to be on a Atheist site? Why would a Muslim want to be on this site too? I don't go to Christian sites to troll. I guess I just don't get it. I'm not attacking either side, I just don't understand it. I will never change my mind over this. If you join a Atheist site you are pretty much set in your thinking. No irrational theology is going to change my mind. It's all mythology and stupidity to me.

I think if a Christian joins here to debate then perhaps they are truly curious. Either that or they feel that it is their sworn duty to "save" us.

The thing though is that they don't think it's myth. They can't see it from our perspective. They don't want to. If you question your religion you question your god. That's wrong. That's blasphemy. But when you FINALLY do it, holy crap, it's a freeing moment isn't it? "Wow.. why didn't anyone tell me I sounded batshit crazy!"
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
17-01-2012, 05:52 PM
(17-01-2012 09:03 AM)Logisch Wrote:  If you question your religion you question your god. That's wrong. That's blasphemy. But when you FINALLY do it, holy crap, it's a freeing moment isn't it? "Wow.. why didn't anyone tell me I sounded batshit crazy!"

It's not always that easy. I had to forgive myself for believing such ludicrous junk. It sometime takes someone willing to admit they are wrong and that doesn't always feel good. Even if it is freeing it didn't feel that way for me at the beginning.. It felt more like betrayal. That everything I was told was a lie.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
19-01-2012, 04:01 AM
(17-01-2012 05:52 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 09:03 AM)Logisch Wrote:  If you question your religion you question your god. That's wrong. That's blasphemy. But when you FINALLY do it, holy crap, it's a freeing moment isn't it? "Wow.. why didn't anyone tell me I sounded batshit crazy!"

It's not always that easy. I had to forgive myself for believing such ludicrous junk. It sometime takes someone willing to admit they are wrong and that doesn't always feel good. Even if it is freeing it didn't feel that way for me at the beginning.. It felt more like betrayal. That everything I was told was a lie.

You and I may very well be coming from similar backgrounds. I like to think that MANY of us here did. Although all of us in unique places and points in life.

But you make a very good point. I found myself extremely frustrated AT myself for a while after finally coming to grips with it. Why did I spend so much time listening to it? Why didn't I actually question stuff? How many people did I get during my period of time believing it to ALSO believe it who are now mythical babbling fools like I was rather than listening to reason.

I think some of the reason I spend so much time online talking about it to people who still "believe" is that perhaps a part of me feels bad for believing in it so long and hope that somewhere out there at least someone will decide to listen to reason.

We spend an equal or greater amount of time trying to convince people of rubbish, and some will spend their whole life believing the rubbish.. and it's so much more difficult to tell them the rubbish is just that, and not some golden book.

It was rather difficult for me. I grew up in an extremely religious household. I was even SENT TO a Christian school and taken out of public school. I was taught creation. I was taught bible classes. I was taught that my music was evil (I loved metal) and was encouraged to go home and break allll my cds, or burn them and to only listen to Christian music and surround myself in good things and not sinful things.

A few years later I was sent back to public school. I never understood why my peers couldn't stand me, all I wanted to do was teach them the good holy book! How couldn't they see it was "the right thing to do?" - it's funny because most my peers HATED hearing about it, but now that we're all grown up, it's like the tables are turned. I don't believe, and they want to cram it down everyone else and their throats. Crazy how that works.

For what it's worth I bought all my old music all over again.. thanks to amazon and their cheap used cd selection. YEAH!

But finally looking back on how much time was wasted believing all that crap. It still burns my ass. I think of all those teachers who probably believed it all just as much as me. It still pisses me off.

Have you watched this? "Speculum." I watched it the other day and at the part where he talked about sending people to "myth based schools" completely struck me stupid and reminded me of the time when I was sent to a private christian school... brought back all the frustration and anger for a moment and I had to just tell myself: "It's ok now because... I'm NOT that anymore."

Oh how much time we spent in that school telling us that evolution was stupid, silly, pointless, couldn't be proved and instead everything was created and has an intelligent design, etc etc... I wonder if I still have any of my old textbooks in storage... you might find them highly entertaining.