Why so much Satanism all over the forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
22-11-2012, 01:48 PM
RE: Why so much Satanism all over the forum?
(22-11-2012 01:40 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I personally do not care about "satanism" which is really a way to supplement atheism with a philosophy.

How ever I feel like most satanists do not take their philosophy serious anyways. So what is the point?

That's a good point. Why would I want to dilute nihilism and its bastard child existentialism with influences from Crowley and Ayn Rand? I personally wouldn't, but meh, whatever works for you. Why do the Calvinists dress up nihilism with Jesus?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2012, 02:13 PM
(22-11-2012 01:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 11:06 AM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  Beign a /b/tard myself, ...

The fuck's a /b/tard? Bastard? Betard? Beetard? This new shorthand eludes me. Feel free to cuss like a fucking drunken sailor here. I do it all the time.

I really don't think I have any issue with LaVeyan Satanism. Theistic Satanism, on the other hand, is clearly ridiculous.

"LaVeyan Satanism is a philosophy (not considered a religion by many of its followers) founded in 1966 by Anton Szandor LaVey. Its teachings are based on individualism, self-indulgence, and 'eye for an eye' morality. Unlike Theistic Satanists, LaVeyan Satanists are atheists who regard Satan as a symbol of man's inherent nature. According to religioustolerance.org, LaVeyan Satanism is a 'small religious group that is unrelated to any other faith, and whose members feel free to satisfy their urges responsibly, exhibit kindness to their friends, and attack their enemies' ".

And I got no issue with the following either (other than describing the inevitable dissolution of self and death as "the dark evolutionary force of entropy" is rather obscure and obtuse):

"Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshipped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there’s no deity to which one can sacrifice."

Kinda captures what I mean when I say I am "My Own Personal Jesus". Sounds like a group of nihilists who just like to get together and play games and use ritual to manipulate their psyche. I don't see the harm in that.
4chan.

Oh yes, we tend to call those people either "Satan-theists" or more commonly "reverse Christians". They aren't liked.

Yeah, we're more often than not guilty of using overly dramatic language. "The dark evolutionary force of entropy" is essentially the principle of progress through adversity, i.e. thesis, anti-thesis and synthesis. The counter-culture or the adversary ("Satan") is seen as the one that wakes the establishment to action and eventually to progress.
22-11-2012, 02:21 PM
(22-11-2012 01:40 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I personally do not care about "satanism" which is really a way to supplement atheism with a philosophy.

How ever I feel like most satanists do not take their philosophy serious anyways. So what is the point?
There are a few things to that. One is the trend made popular in Occultism by Crowley: mixing humor with philosophy. People who are into the left-hand path tend to have an appreciation to a certain type of humor. The results may seem bizarre to outsiders, but that's just what happens.

I won't go into detail with the rest of this stuff, but in a nutshell: we don't take ourselves too seriously. We tend to get a bit eccentric, but once you start looking into this stuff you'll see what's meant seriously and what isn't. The perfect example I can think is unfortunately Finnish, but you might get a chuckle out of some of the pics: Google "Pekka Siitoin".
22-11-2012, 03:04 PM
(22-11-2012 02:13 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  4chan.

The fuck is that, and should I even give a shit?

(22-11-2012 02:13 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  Yeah, we're more often than not guilty of using overly dramatic language. "The dark evolutionary force of entropy" is essentially the principle of progress through adversity, i.e. thesis, anti-thesis and synthesis. The counter-culture or the adversary ("Satan") is seen as the one that wakes the establishment to action and eventually to progress.

There's a thread around here somewhere called "Thank GOD for MY Diabetes", given that definition of Satan, I would thank Satan for my diagnoses of prediabetes. But why call it Satan? Seems unnecessarily provocative to me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Because it makes it somewhat anthropomorphic and easier to explain to idiots *ahem* other people....

If you ask me, by that definition it just makes them look like the hipsters of the religious and cult world....

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-11-2012, 07:34 PM
(22-11-2012 01:31 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  Satanism doesn't seem to me like a particularly good cult, if that's the case. Satanism is by definition individualistic and shuns "herd mentality". It requires the practitioner to find their own identity, Thelema, as it's been called, and work to achieve it.
And the founder of Scientology stated the best way to make money is to create your own religion. Your point is?

(22-11-2012 01:31 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  "Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid." Satanic sins aren't rigid. Their broad guidelines LaVey thought would serve the Satanist (not the one looking in from outside) well. Anton saw them as prominent problems for the personality type that might be attracted to Satanism, so he laid them out.

He did a vastly poor job.

(22-11-2012 01:31 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  "It’s in the “Nine Satanic Statements” but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it’s fun, and with awareness. But then, it’s not self-deceit!" Speaks for itself, I think.

That does not answer my questions, nor does it solve my proposed problems.

(22-11-2012 01:31 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  This one requires case-by-case analysis. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, really, seems like common sense to me. The statement is, of course, a play on the Christian value of "turning the other cheek". Well, you shouldn't always turn the other cheek. You shouldn't waste your life on people who want to use you. I don't consider it "sociopathic" to not want to associate with people who have nothing to offer in a relationship.

Again, this does not answer my questions.

(22-11-2012 01:31 PM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  I don't think they do. I think you're purposefully trying to look for things to dislike in Satanism, and you're doing it like you would a dogmatic religion. Try to realize this: Satanism doesn't have a holy book. Anything written by a Satanist can be dropped just as quickly as it was picked up, and that's what's happened to a great extent. Satanism certainly doesn't preach disregard to others, indeed it promotes a strong love to those who deserve it. If one tries to love all, he ends up loving none. See "My Dark, Satanic Love".

I am viewing Satanism for what it is. A horribly designed cult with the lack of regard to others. I see sociopathic behavior within the philosophical tenets, encouragement to follow through with it, and a stupid founder. The non-existence of a holy book means nothing to me.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
23-11-2012, 12:43 AM
(22-11-2012 10:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 10:44 AM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  ...which is what you're doing. You've been implying that Satanic magick is roughly the same as making fairies out of rainbows. Satanic magick doesn't tend to have a supernatural element to it. In other words, you're beating a straw man.

Actually no. For me to be beating a strawman, I'd have to be making an argument from a deliberate misinterpretation of your argument.

I have not actually made an argument toward or against anything, I was simply making a mockery for no specific purpose.

Though I am going to have to write angry letters to Dictionary.com and Google for their narrow and misinforming definition of magic.

Most Witches believe that magic is using natural energies that exist inside and around us to bring about needed change in our lives, emotional change, physical change, mental change, spiritual change, etc.
Most will tell you that Magic is not supernatural at all.

Several dictionaries say that Magic is using spells, incantations or symbols and working with supernatural OR, let me repeat ORRRRR OR OR OR mysterious or unknown powers/energies to create change.
23-11-2012, 01:04 AM
(22-11-2012 12:41 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 11:58 AM)Pr0fanus Wrote:  I'll accept that Satanic organizations, such as the CoS, are cults, yes.
Cults appeal to people the same way churches do, with a form of social identity. Like religions, they create a structured and organized set of rules to follow. Whether or not these are good or bad rules all depends on a certain moral subjectivity. The issue with Satanism is that is blurs the established lines of morality. Many actions that are defined by the word cruel are suddenly acceptable or humane forms of behavior. There is a reason I said Satanism appeals to psycho-sociopathic people. It encourages such behavior, which is both unwarranted and unhealthy.

I do not care if said behavior appeals to a person or not. Such behavior affects people outside of the cult, and you will find the majority tends to look down on the eye-for-an-eye philosophy. For instance, one of the Satanic sins is "stupidity". Well, how do we define stupidity? What is stupidity? When someone doesn't understand, or misunderstands something? Well, instead of calling them stupid, help them understand it. If they prove to be willfully ignorant, are they a victim of youthful indoctrination, or are they genetically predisposed to a lack of intellect? There are far too many factors and a far too elastic definition of stupidity, it invites individual interpretation. For better or for worse.

But it doesn't stop at laying the groundwork, it encourages it. Here's another Satanic sin, self-deceit. A seemingly innocent idea, but again far too elastic. Are you not lying to yourself when you say you understand something fully? You cannot possibly know something with one-hundred percent certainty. Something as trivial as that presents a trouble for interpretation. How about when you say you see, or touch something? Reality is but an illusion. Or when you believe something that isn't accepted as fact? You are lying to yourself.

Or the idea that, "Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates." Well, by what do you determine a person deserves kindness? What if a person plays a prank on you? Do they deserve kindness? What is an ingrate? A person who wrongs you? When does forgiveness play a factor? Again, sociopathic, unhealthy behavior.

These few examples of poor forethought and lack if intelligence concerning sociology and psychology display the failings of idiocy of Satanism. The religion teaches a near disregard of others' consciousness, and preaches simple advancement of one's own personal agenda. That is not how you are to operate a society, judge people, or socialize as a healthy, progressive person. If you disagree with me, you must first study up on sociology, psychology, and anthropology.

I understand why it may appeal to many, and what factors make it so. That does not mean I approve, or that I or anybody else should view it with respect. I don't care if you believe it, I think it is bullshit and counter-intuitive. Anyone who follows such a cult has bought the farm in philosophy, and until one leaves it, they are foolish, ignorant, and childish.

I am not a part of any formal group, I am a Solitary practioner so they may be cults, they certainly are not cults by the definition of the word that I was taught but if you are equating all religions with the word than Yes, Satanism and Witchcraft would be cults, however since I am not a part of any structured religion or group, I dont consider myself to be IN a cult.
Satanism does not encourage Cruel or Sadistic behavior. We are in fact told to not beat, murder, rape, steal etc but at the same time we should not put up with certain behaviors from people or even deal with all people with equal treatment, it depends on the people/circumstances for me.
Forgiveness is something that you can choose to give to someone if the crime against you is not too big, if my bf cheated on me though, I would not forgive or forget it because to me this would encourage him to do it again. I would not turn around and cheat on him though, an eye for an eye doesnt mean to literally do the exact same thing, It could mean to walk away and take the kids with me, it could mean to dump him and let him pay the rent on his own, it could mean to kick him out and let him fend for himself, there are many possibilties.
For me, the path I am on has taught me to live a healthier lifestyle, not an anti social or sociopathic one, I have more confidence in myself, I am more focused, I do not put up with people using me or bullshitting me, I stand up for what I believe in, I have self esteem now, I am motivated to be the best person I can be in all areas of my life, so I dont see Satanism as a bad thing, at least it hasnt been for me.....
23-11-2012, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2012 01:12 AM by Free Thought.)
That makes me curious as to what these supposed energies are...

Nuclear energy? Thermal? Kinetic? Chemical? Electric? Electrochemical or electromagnetic perhaps?

And perhaps more importantly; How are they harnessed by the users.... The brain does not create a strong enough electromagnetic field to affect anything but it's own neurons... But I cannot think of anything else it excretes that could have the slightest affect on anything aside from harnessing the potential energy that rests int he body (I.E moving the body)...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-11-2012, 01:17 AM
(23-11-2012 01:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That makes me curious as to what these supposed energies are...

Nuclear energy? Thermal? Kinetic? Chemical? Electric? Electrochemical or electromagnetic perhaps?

And perhaps more importantly; How are they harnessed by the users.... The brain does not create a strong enough electromagnetic field to affect anything but it's own neurons... But I cannot think of anything else it excretes that could have the slightest affect on anything aside from harnessing the potential energy that rests int he body (I.E moving the body)...
Midichlorians.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post