Why take away their religion/coping mechanism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Why take away their religion/coping mechanism?
Yes.

I understand that it has bad things about it. But religion has been here since the dawn of man hasn't it? And guess what, we r still here.s

I just had an outburst to my Mom and Dad. I laid it down, I let them know the bible was wrong and full of contradictions and shared that it has something in common with the quran, book of mormon and every other holy book-it's written by men claimed to be inspired by god....And now what? I feel hurt.

As I saw my mother cry. I knew. ....she was telling herself that 'satan had gottn a hold of him.' But deep down she knew. She knew I was right. She couldn't accept that she would never see her dad again. And all other dead loved ones.

IDK. I may have just lost my parents..... how come i just can't keep my mouth shut and let them have it?

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2012, 09:30 PM
RE: Why take away their religion/coping mechanism?
That's sad to hear, my friend Sad

I think some people require religion as a crutch as reality is too harsh for them without it. I think as long as they are not pushing their religious views on anyone they can believe whatever they want.

I don't think our world will ever be totally free from religion and I don't know whether it's a great idea anyway. Some people just can't handle the truth/reality (this is certainly one of the reasons evolved man kept the idea going) and if these people don't have something to hold onto then maybe it would effect them too much psychologically and the consequences of this maybe dire in a variety of ways.

Maybe some flowers and a hug maybe a good idea for your mum. I don't know, just sayin' Undecided Not an easy situation.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 4 users Like aurora's post
24-06-2012, 09:41 PM
(24-06-2012 09:30 PM)aurora Wrote:  That's sad to hear, my friend Sad

I think some people require religion as a crutch as reality is too harsh for them without it. I think as long as they are not pushing their religious views on anyone they can believe whatever they want.

I don't think our world will ever be totally free from religion and I don't know whether it's a great idea anyway. Some people just can't handle the truth/reality (this is certainly one of the reasons evolved man kept the idea going) and if these people don't have something to hold onto then maybe it would effect them too much psychologically and the consequences of this maybe dire in a variety of ways.

Maybe some flowers and a hug maybe a good idea for your mum. I don't know, just sayin' Undecided Not an easy situation.
Well, here's the kicker. They are (as I was once was) Jehovah's Witnesses. They go door to door preaching (what they think) is the accurate knowledge. They don't get up early in the morning and knock on your door to piss you off. They do it becuz they are sincere and believe it's what god/Jehovah/Yahweh wants.

However, the 'Society' ( also known as the faithful and discreet slave...it's a bible reference) teaches not to listen to worldly or anything opposing their viewpoints. And if they do they are to SHUN them. And of course they back this up with scriptural reference. That means shun them even if they are family......

...Here, watch this....it's important. I know you prob dont have 15 minutes. But please watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egOV6Il8...plpp_video

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
24-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about this. I know what you mean about feeling like you need to tell people. I applaud you for it since you felt you needed to. It can be a very hard thing to do.

I also told my parents and they were for a while very upset and confused. But over time they've adjusted and been better about it. My sister still doesn't talk to me as much, even though she says she does, but she just doesn't.

Similarly to you, I am not really an anti-theist. I know there are many atheists who are. But I agree with Aurora, many people use it as a crutch and if they aren't pushing their views on me or affecting my life and letting me be, they are free to believe what they wish.

I hope they won't end up shunning you and they'll hopefully see past it. Towards the end of my grandma's life, she strayed away from the jehovah's witnesses and started spending more time with our family. But before that, she spent a lot of time shunning various beliefs and not interacting with our family as much.

Either way I hope it goes well for you.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
24-06-2012, 10:07 PM
People can believe what they want, but what they can't do is use their belief in the bible to pass laws; that shit I won't stand for! I also do not push my non-belief in god/gods on others, but the second someone scoffs at me for being an Atheist im going to bring a shit storm.

That sucks that you're mother had to cry when you spoke your mind, but just remember, they don't have a problem saying what they believe so why should you be any different? Even if it is an opposing view. That whole shunning thing is bullshit and is used as a fear tactic to keep people in the faith. No one wants to be shunned from the people they love and care about.

Religion isn't really the problem, it's the people who decide to take it and brain wash people or those who stop thinking for themselves, because the bible tells them what is true and what to believe. All religion should be used for is a feel good coping mechanism. Not world domination.

Justin
[+] 4 users Like Kinger's post
24-06-2012, 10:08 PM
(24-06-2012 09:41 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 09:30 PM)aurora Wrote:  That's sad to hear, my friend Sad

Well, here's the kicker. They are (as I was once was) Jehovah's Witnesses. They go door to door preaching (what they think) is the accurate knowledge. They don't get up early in the morning and knock on your door to piss you off. They do it becuz they are sincere and believe it's what god/Jehovah/Yahweh wants.

However, the 'Society' ( also known as the faithful and discreet slave...it's a bible reference) teaches not to listen to worldly or anything opposing their viewpoints. And if they do they are to SHUN them. And of course they back this up with scriptural reference. That means shun them even if they are family......

...Here, watch this....it's important. I know you prob dont have 15 minutes. But please watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egOV6Il8...plpp_video
I did have a spare 15 minutes as I'm on lunch at work and I did watch the vid. I knew some of what was said but not all.

This isn't a religion, in fact it isn't even a cult. I would be more inclined to say it was a psychological abuse society and they should be held accountable for the damage they do on peoples psych's/minds. Have your parents watched this vid?

I assume you live at home? It may be an idea, if you're prepared, to move out. It would seem, although you know the situation better than I, that they will never think any different.

Was a horrible piece of shit the JW movement is!!! My condolences Sad

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-06-2012, 10:23 PM
One of the things that makes living in a society worthwhile is the acceptance of other people who have viewpoints that are unlike your own.
I am not saying we should accept the viewpoints, but we should accept the people who hold them, within reason of course.
I can accept many religious practices, except for the ones that cause harm to other people. Example: female genitalia mutilation, killing people accused of witchcraft and generally any religion who wants to execute people for tweeting #goddoesnotexist

It's only when we feel powerless that we turn to the sky and wishfully hope that some entity more powerful than ourselves can make things better.
It is a coping mechanism, in much the same way a pacifier works to calm a crying baby.
Eventually you have to let them cry and get over the fact that they are no longer babies.
If you continue to treat them as children, then they will stop maturing.

You've taken the first step accepting your parents and to let them accept you. It's a tough road. I wish you well.
Hopefully in time, their viewpoints will mature

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-06-2012, 11:18 PM
While we may not agree with what the JW's do, remember that it is their belief system. i agree with one of the above posters sayingin that they have to give respect to get it, i am NOT going to respect their belief if they do not respect mine.

Shunning people has been around for hundreds of years, hell just be happy we arent in the middle ages, where people were burned at the stake for just a thought of heresy.

I wish you well in dealing with your parents, i had a similar problem with my in laws that after 3 years of marriage we just now solved...and that was a quick solution. Hang in there, stay true to yourself, and you'll be okay.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
24-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Why take religion away from them even though it is a coping mechanism:

Because there are better, more truthful ones that do not require SHUNNING or condemning( without reason) the beliefs of others.

I assert that if you base your character or your life on a false idea or foundation, the resulting person you are is equally false. I personally think it is more consoling knowing that you are using better, more honest, foundations to base your life, and the resulting character will be more true to yourself than the one that is based off a false idea, ideal, or foundation.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
24-06-2012, 11:28 PM
(24-06-2012 11:18 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  While we may not agree with what the JW's do, remember that it is their belief system. i agree with one of the above posters sayingin that they have to give respect to get it, i am NOT going to respect their belief if they do not respect mine.

Shunning people has been around for hundreds of years, hell just be happy we arent in the middle ages, where people were burned at the stake for just a thought of heresy.

I wish you well in dealing with your parents, i had a similar problem with my in laws that after 3 years of marriage we just now solved...and that was a quick solution. Hang in there, stay true to yourself, and you'll be okay.
What's funny is. as a JW. I/they taught that Dec 25was pagan. and it adopted from pre christ times. This is why they don't celebrate christmas. ONly they draw the line there. The JWs dont' really realize how much paganism and per-medeterreanian influenced present day christ.