Why the Bible is repulsive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Why the Bible is repulsive
There are many examples of why the Bible is repulsive. Most people believe in this horrible canon because they don't even read it. Why I think it is unpleasent:

1. Advocates rape, incest, murder, genocide, opression of women, slavery.

2. Jesus says to cut off body parts that cause you to sin. I mean seriously what an idiot.

3. The bible states multiple times to kill people that disobey the commandments. Which includes working on Sunday (sabbath)..... lusting for girls... Lol i should be stoned like multiple times a day for lusting after all the college girls i see. (I am a college male age 21).

What do you all think about the bible's unpleasentness, and as to why people believe in it without reading it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
RE: Why the Bible is repulsive
They have reverends and priests to tell them what is in the bible, you know, about how Jesus loves you, and be kind to your neighbor. It’s easy, the bible is a big book, no pictures, and very dully written. No one wants to read it. The thing is, considering how you can walk into any hotel room and pick up a bible, the gruesome, violent, and immoral parts in the bible(found on almost every page) are a very well-kept secret. They go to church, listen to their pastor, occasionally open up the bible and thumb through it to find something inspirational, and then go home. What I want to know, is how the pastors and priests can go through the violent parts to find the one decent quote while still keeping their faith.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
(03-06-2010 02:31 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  What I want to know, is how the pastors and priests can go through the violent parts to find the one decent quote while still keeping their faith.

Ummm because they make money from preaching? Seriously, priesthood can be a very profitable business, and if a priest/pastor places his materialistic interests over his faith, then it really doesn't matter what horrors are written in the Bible, since his belief isn't that strong anyway. If, however, he is a true believer, and I incline to think this is the less frequent case, he'll probably find some sort of 'rationalization' to justify god's acts of cruelty to himself. It's the principle of doublethink :
1. God is just and loving
2. God is cruel and unforgiving

which from the perspective of
3. God is all-powerful and all-knowing

leads to
4. God must be worshipped and loved without question, or else...

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Don't forget the self-blame game. We (man, as descendants from Adam & Eve) are responsible for the Fall, we are responsible for sin entering the world, etc, etc.

So they are able to rationalize every horrible thing that's in the Bible as our fault. "That's just human nature." Or they say that God wants us to learn on our own, or some such bullshit.

What I find interesting are the passages where God specifically condones, demands, or requests that some horrible act be carried out, such as slavery, genocide, blood sacrifice, and who knows what else. It's fun to watch a theist squirm and twist and rationalize things until it's not God's fault or responsibility in any way. It's amazing how much your brain clears when you let all that garbage go.

Now, as far as the Bible goes, there are some nice things in there, and there's some fun stuff from a fiction standpoint. And on occasion there's some things that a theist will say is "up to interpretation" that I'll actually agree on (the previous example of Jesus saying to cut of your limbs if they cause you to sin is one that I'll accept is exaggeration for effect). But what's really fun is when you take something that a theist holds dear and believes is so beautiful and true, and then think it through and show how illogical it is, or how it just doesn't jive with the way they actually think or operate. Jesus commanding his followers to give all they owned to the poor, for example.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
25-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Think about this. All the stories that the theist people disregard such as the rape and genocide , etc if they were written about in a modern newspaper and given the spin that these things just happened how do you think society would react.

Enlightenment through science and education brings us out of the fantasy world where such acts in reality and the fantasy of the bible are viewed as repulsive and unacceptable in modern society.
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2010, 11:04 AM

When I was a Christian, I never actually took a look into the Bible at all (except for the occasional peek, but I've never actually read it). I thought it was the most boring shit ever.
02-07-2010, 03:28 AM

A majority of Americans believe that god exists, the Jesus is his son and that god himself gave us teh Bible and the Ten commandments. A 99% of American believe in the ten commandments.
02-07-2010, 10:18 AM

99%? Where'd you pull that number out of?

Only 83 percent of Americans are even Christian, 13 percent are atheist, and 4 percent are other faiths. Jews probably comprise the minority of that 4 percent. Then, if you break down that 83 percent, half of them probably are part time Christians, who don't know anything about their faith, but they continue to go to Church because it is a family tradition.

And besides, at least 4-5 of the Commandments have some value.
02-07-2010, 12:06 PM

(03-06-2010 02:31 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  What I want to know, is how the pastors and priests can go through the violent parts to find the one decent quote while still keeping their faith.

lol, it's all about marketing. When a new product comes out, the commercials only say the good things about it. You never hear about how faulty it is, except from dissatisfied customers Big Grin
02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
(02-07-2010 10:18 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  99%? Where'd you pull that number out of?

Google. It's a bot. Probably just made a search for this topic and grabbed a forum post that shared some key words.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner