Why the Bible states that the value of Pi = 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2017, 03:00 AM
Why the Bible states that the value of Pi = 3
Some creationists say the funniest things.

I encountered one the other day who stated that the Bible contains NO inaccuracies.

Okay........so I asked him about the Bible defining the value of Pi as being equal to 3.

His response? "Did hebrews have decimal places in their language at that time? No they did not so your argument is based on inaccurate information."

I'm guessing he doesn't realise that the ancient Greeks and Egyptians had it worked out to several decimal places hundreds of years before the OT was written.

So an omnipresent, omniscient god allowed Greeks and Egyptians to figure this out but failed to pass it on to his chosen people?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
06-01-2017, 03:14 AM
RE: Why the Bible states that the value of Pi = 3
Omnis had their limits it seem: And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. Apparently iron chariots aren't only limiter of god power.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
06-01-2017, 05:04 AM
(06-01-2017 03:00 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Some creationists say the funniest things.

I encountered one the other day who stated that the Bible contains NO inaccuracies.

Okay........so I asked him about the Bible defining the value of Pi as being equal to 3.

His response? "Did hebrews have decimal places in their language at that time? No they did not so your argument is based on inaccurate information."

I'm guessing he doesn't realise that the ancient Greeks and Egyptians had it worked out to several decimal places hundreds of years before the OT was written.

So an omnipresent, omniscient god allowed Greeks and Egyptians to figure this out but failed to pass it on to his chosen people?

The "standard" apologetic for that is that the pi=3.0 thing was not a statement of pi, but only a description of a well, which was approximately 30 units around and 10 units across... at a time when units were measured in "as long as my forearm" (cubits). Not exactly the sort of measurement system that lends itself to precision!

On the other hand, it does show that the Hebrews of that time did not use the sort of precision that the Romans would later use to constuct (for instance) the viaducts.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-01-2017, 05:09 AM
(06-01-2017 03:14 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Omnis had their limits it seem: And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. Apparently iron chariots aren't only limiter of god power.

I'd like to see the modern version:

And the LORD was with Netanyahu ; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had American-made M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks with the System Enhancement Package (SEP) installed.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-01-2017, 06:20 AM
(06-01-2017 05:04 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The "standard" apologetic for that is that the pi=3.0 thing was not a statement of pi, but only a description of a well, which was approximately 30 units around and 10 units across... at a time when units were measured in "as long as my forearm" (cubits). Not exactly the sort of measurement system that lends itself to precision!

On the other hand, it does show that the Hebrews of that time did not use the sort of precision that the Romans would later use to constuct (for instance) the viaducts.

The problem with the "standard" apologetic is that if it's accepted that the Bible is human-written and imprecise at best, then the basis disappears for using the Bible as a guide to the age of the earth, "medicine", or anything requiring accuracy.

For those biblical literalists any apologetics are surely an admission of failure?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
06-01-2017, 06:33 AM
(06-01-2017 05:09 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 03:14 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Omnis had their limits it seem: And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. Apparently iron chariots aren't only limiter of god power.

I'd like to see the modern version:

And the LORD was with Netanyahu ; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had American-made M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks with the System Enhancement Package (SEP) installed.

And the lord could not escape out of the valley because of the close air support from the flying Warthogs and thus was cut to shreds by the Warthog's mighty guns.

How it should have ended....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-01-2017, 06:37 AM
(06-01-2017 06:20 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 05:04 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The "standard" apologetic for that is that the pi=3.0 thing was not a statement of pi, but only a description of a well, which was approximately 30 units around and 10 units across... at a time when units were measured in "as long as my forearm" (cubits). Not exactly the sort of measurement system that lends itself to precision!

The problem with the "standard" apologetic is that if it's accepted that the Bible is human-written and imprecise at best, then the basis disappears for using the Bible as a guide to the age of the earth, "medicine", or anything requiring accuracy.

For those biblical literalists any apologetics are surely an admission of failure?

That would be the point that you would have to press, it's not that apologists have a ready made excuse for biblical failings, it's that the bible does not reflect precise or even useful information. If you can't use the bible's numbers to build something as simple as a well, you sure as hell wouldn't want to use it as a guide to life.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-01-2017, 07:00 AM
(06-01-2017 06:33 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 05:09 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd like to see the modern version:

And the lord could not escape out of the valley because of the close air support from the flying Warthogs and thus was cut to shreds by the Warthog's mighty guns.

How it should have ended....

Ah, ye olde A-10 Thunderbolt II, my favorite butt-ugly fighter jet. Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-01-2017, 07:07 AM
I got my sister to bake me an apple pie for my birthday once, in a square pan.............

My niece and nephew looked at this pie, with puzzled looks.....

What'sa matter? I asked... Didn't you know pie are square????

They didn't get it....Too young.........

Timing... comedy is all about timing.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-01-2017, 07:12 AM
(06-01-2017 07:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What'sa matter? I asked... Didn't you know pie are square????

Old man puns.

[Image: 67415845.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post