Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
(18-03-2015 05:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 05:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can't imagine women wanting to become nuns either. I could see it hundreds of years ago because there wasn't much else for a women to do. But today? Wow.

Many nuns were teachers or nurses.

I had my son in a Catholic hospital and they wouldn't allow me to have my tubes tied there. I was to go to the doctor's office to have it done but the delivery was pretty rough so I put if off for six months. Crazy that the hospital would have allowed me to check out and back in knowing what I was going to do. They would have had to have taken care of me after I returned...so they were willing to be a part of it but not allow it under their roof. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Found this about the declining sisterhood.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-940221nu...story.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-03-2015, 05:31 PM
(18-03-2015 05:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can't imagine women wanting to become nuns either. I could see it hundreds of years ago because there wasn't much else for a women to do. But today? Wow.

Well, droves of women are not becoming nuns. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2015, 05:42 PM
(18-03-2015 05:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 05:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Many nuns were teachers or nurses.

I had my son in a Catholic hospital and they wouldn't allow me to have my tubes tied there. I was to go to the doctor's office to have it done but the delivery was pretty rough so I put if off for six months. Crazy that the hospital would have allowed me to check out and back in knowing what I was going to do. They would have had to have taken care of me after I returned...so they were willing to be a part of it but not allow it under their roof. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Found this about the declining sisterhood.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-940221nu...story.html

We had nuns of all ages around. I graduated HS in 1975 to give you an idea of the time. It was when I was in HS that nuns were able to forego the wearing of the habit and could wear more modern, though quite modest, clothing.

The vice principal of the HS was a wonderful older nun who was much more instrumental in the starting and running of the school then anyone ever really said out loud. She was a good teacher and a good school administrator. She seemed old back then but just died a few years ago. She always wore a habit (most of the older nuns did) and she always wore sandals - kind of interesting in Iowa in the winter. But when you were sneaking a cigarette in the bathroom, those sandals were a quick giveaway under the stall walls. Tongue

There was another really old nun who tutored math. She would walk down the hall and bump into the wall and say 'excuse me' to the wall.

My Algebra teacher was a nun probably in her early 30s. It was pretty obvious that she was a warm body to fill a teaching spot because she couldn't teach Algebra.

Sister Pat was the young hippie nun. She was really pretty cool. Sister Annette was the uber-butch gym teacher.

In 6th grade, Sister Johann taught music. She was a tiny, bird-like little thing that jumped around a lot though the main music we learned consisted of funeral dirges. She sure was excited about teaching us those hymns so we could walk across the yard to sing funeral masses...good times.

Of course there were others. And several brothers, a few priests...but the lay teacher was taking over.

And, yeah, they would make us kneel on the floor to see if our uniform skirt touched the floor. Some carried seam rippers and would drop the hem out of your skirt right then and there if it didn't.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-03-2015, 06:39 PM
@Anjele->We went to the same school. Was it "Our Lady of Pain and Suffering", by any chance?

don't believe everything you think
[+] 2 users Like church_organ's post
18-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:One fine day in Ireland, a guy is out golfing and gets up to the 16th hole. He tees up and cranks one. Unfortunately, it goes into the woods on the side of the fairway.

He goes looking for his ball and comes across this little guy with this huge knot on his head, and the golfball lying right beside him.
"Goodness," says the golfer, and proceeds to revive the poor little guy.

Upon awaking, the little guy says, "Well, you caught me fair and square. I am a leprechaun. I will grant you three wishes."
The man says "I can't take anything from you, I'm just glad I didn't hurt you too badly," and walks away.

Watching the golfer depart, the leprechaun says "Well, he was a nice enough guy, and he did catch me, so I have to do somethingfor him. I'll give him the three things that I would want. I'll give him unlimited money, a great golf game, and a great sex life."

Well, a year goes past (as they often do in jokes like this) and the same golfer is out golfing on the same course at the 16th hole. He gets up and hits one into the same woods and goes off looking for his ball. When he finds the ball he sees the same little guy and asks how he is doing.

The leprechaun says, "I'm fine, and might I ask how your golf game is?"
The golfer says, "It's great! I hit under par every time."
The leprechaun says, "I did that for you. And might I ask how your money is holding out?"
The golfer says, "Well, now that you mention it, every time I put my hand in my pocket, I pull out a hundred dollar bill."

The leprechaun smiles and says, "I did that for you. And might I ask how your sex life is?"
The golfer looks at him a little shyly and says, "Well, maybe once or twice a week."
The leprechaun is floored and stammers, "Once or twice a week?"
The golfer looks at him and says, "Well, that's not too bad for a Catholic priest in a small parish."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
18-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I cant really comment since I have never felt drawn to the priesthood, but it wasn't too long ago that single life was quite common. Up until the 30's many doctorate holders were single people. That level of study often required commitment and pay that could not support a family. If your dedicated enough to your vocation then other vocations don't really call to you. I know that my entire being seems to be directed towards married life and so I don't worry about becoming a priest.

Also if I recall priests have one of the highest job satisfaction ratings. They don't give up their happiness anymore than someone does when they get married. Priesthood would actually have some advantages over married life. There is hardly any stress, there is more freedom. if you want to take a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. you don't have any dependants. All your needs are cared for. Sounds like a pretty good gig if you ask me.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
18-03-2015, 07:04 PM
(18-03-2015 06:39 PM)church_organ Wrote:  @Anjele->We went to the same school. Was it "Our Lady of Pain and Suffering", by any chance?

Tongue Close enough!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

18-03-2015, 07:11 PM
(18-03-2015 06:58 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I cant really comment since I have never felt drawn to the priesthood, but it wasn't too long ago that single life was quite common. Up until the 30's many doctorate holders were single people. That level of study often required commitment and pay that could not support a family. If your dedicated enough to your vocation then other vocations don't really call to you. I know that my entire being seems to be directed towards married life and so I don't worry about becoming a priest.

Also if I recall priests have one of the highest job satisfaction ratings. They don't give up their happiness anymore than someone does when they get married. Priesthood would actually have some advantages over married life. There is hardly any stress, there is more freedom. if you want to take a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. you don't have any dependants. All your needs are cared for. Sounds like a pretty good gig if you ask me.

The priests in my hometown lived in the rectory that was attached to the Basilica. It was a NICE place! It was huge! Often only one priest lived there at a time. Housekeeping and cooking were taken care of. They drove nice cars and played a lot of golf - of course they weren't buying their own drinks or dinner when out and about.

But it couldn't have been all sunshine and roses. My dad even remembered finding empty liquor bottles that the priests at the time dropped out their window onto the yard below. Sounds like a lot of drinking alone and an expectation of near perfection and being at the beck and call of everyone in the parish. Over the years there were several drunk driving charges and rehab stints...all that glitters is not gold. Obviously, living like a prince had/has it's price.

18-03-2015, 07:20 PM
For the exact same reason why a grown man would want to put on shorts and a kerchief and go camping on his day off with a bunch of young guys in a tent out in the wilderness..... (Think "Boy Scouts")

Suuuree -- nothing wrong there, huh????

Think about this one folks --- would you allow your DAUGHTER to go hang out with some guy all weekend in a tent??? Why not??? He's an upstanding guy - and he's NOT gay!!!! So WHY THE FUCK do they assume it's OK to send their sons out with freaks like this?????????????????

The stupidity and gullibility of people never fails to astound me....

Think about it for a second....

WHY would a guy want to live in close proximity to other guys who aren't getting any sex from women??????

Do we have to draw you a fucking picture???????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-03-2015, 07:25 PM
(18-03-2015 06:39 PM)church_organ Wrote:  @Anjele->We went to the same school. Was it "Our Lady of Pain and Suffering", by any chance?

I went to that school too Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post