Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 09:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
(18-03-2015 09:17 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 08:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you don't think there is sex going on at college, you are truly delusional. The fact that it isn't talked about means nothing. You may not be having sex but someone there is.

I think there are 81 students in my college. I know everyone by name. I can very confidently say that no student is having sex with another. The only student I would have suspected is now doing a transfer program. Considering most of the couples havn't even kissed despite going out for several months should tell you the culture of my school.

How very very very strange. Sex is healthy. The fact that a bunch of people *may* (and I say *may*, as I think you're just too naive and out of it to know the truth) not be learning about healthy sex at the very time they should be, and repressing it, is really really sick. Repressing sex is not healthy, and the culture that values that very attitude (repression), is THE very culture that produced so many abusers, molesters, and nuts. No wonder we keep hearing about groups of "recovering Catholics", and no wonder ex-Catholics comprise 10 % of the US population.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2015, 09:28 PM
The timing of this thread is interesting because my friend pretty upset because her boyfriend, who was previously in the seminary, is now again discerning priesthood. While they haven't officially broken up, who knows what will happen.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
18-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
I just realized... I don't drink very often (takes too much for me to get buzzed or drunk) and I'm not getting laid.

I think I have become a priest.

Shit.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
18-03-2015, 09:35 PM
(18-03-2015 09:28 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  The timing of this thread is interesting because my friend pretty upset because her boyfriend, who was previously in the seminary, is now again discerning priesthood. While they haven't officially broken up, who knows what will happen.

How idiotic that they even have to be in that position. There is no reason clergy should not be married. It works for the Episcopalians. They would be much more well-rounded people.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2015, 09:37 PM
(18-03-2015 09:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:17 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I think there are 81 students in my college. I know everyone by name. I can very confidently say that no student is having sex with another. The only student I would have suspected is now doing a transfer program. Considering most of the couples havn't even kissed despite going out for several months should tell you the culture of my school.

How very very very strange. Sex is healthy. The fact that a bunch of people *may* (and I say *may*, as I think you're just too naive and out of it to know the truth) not be learning about health sex at the very time they should be, and repressing it, is really really sick. Repressing sex is not healthy, and the culture that values that very attitude (repression), is THE very culture that produced so many abusers, molesters, and nuts. No wonder we keep hearing about groups of "recovering Catholics", and no wonder ex-Catholics comprise 10 % of the US population.

Trust me I'm not naive. There really is no sex going on at the academy. And I don't think there is much repression involved. Most of us like it like that. I know that I prefer it. I dated a girl for 6 weeks and the most I did was kiss her on the cheek once. And since then, I actually prefer it if a relationship goes slow. I think part of it is that we don't think of sex as bad but the opposite. We think sex is one of the most amazing things there is. I'm a 22 year old virgin but I don't feel any real need to have sex.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
18-03-2015, 09:39 PM
(18-03-2015 09:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:28 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  The timing of this thread is interesting because my friend pretty upset because her boyfriend, who was previously in the seminary, is now again discerning priesthood. While they haven't officially broken up, who knows what will happen.

How idiotic that they even have to be in that position. There is no reason clergy should not be married. It works for the Episcopalians. They would be much more well-rounded people.

Well you can be married in the eastern rite, so its not like the option doesn't exist. It's a discipline thing. Trying to maintain a family would be very difficult for a priest and he has to focus on leading a church.

- my friend Marc
18-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Because how many careers are out there that let you devote your entire life to your imaginary friend? C'mon, it's like every five year old's dream come true!

(18-03-2015 05:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can't imagine women wanting to become nuns either. I could see it hundreds of years ago because there wasn't much else for a women to do. But today? Wow.

I got dragged to some nuns' fortieth anniversary of being nuns once. Everyone else saw it as this great thing, but to me it just seemed like two prisoners celebrating the fortieth year of their life sentence. Sad

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
18-03-2015, 09:45 PM
(18-03-2015 09:39 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  How idiotic that they even have to be in that position. There is no reason clergy should not be married. It works for the Episcopalians. They would be much more well-rounded people.

Well you can be married in the eastern rite, so its not like the option doesn't exist. It's a discipline thing. Trying to maintain a family would be very difficult for a priest and he has to focus on leading a church.

Buncha crap. That's what they tell you. All the other Christian denominations allow married clergy, and supposedly the Pope is considering allowing it. Ministers in all the other denominations have no problem with it, and before the Roman church required it, their clergy had no problem with it The REAL reason the church required it was economic. They didn't want to deal with inheritance matters, THEN AFTER, they justified it with their BS.

18-03-2015, 10:15 PM
(18-03-2015 09:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:39 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well you can be married in the eastern rite, so its not like the option doesn't exist. It's a discipline thing. Trying to maintain a family would be very difficult for a priest and he has to focus on leading a church.

Buncha crap. That's what they tell you. All the other Christian denominations allow married clergy, and supposedly the Pope is considering allowing it. Ministers in all the other denominations have no problem with it, and before the Roman church required it, their clergy had no problem with it The REAL reason the church required it was economic. They didn't want to deal with inheritance matters, THEN AFTER, they justified it with their BS.

I knew about the inheritance thing but that doesn't change the fact that it would be difficult to raise a family as a priest. While comfortable for a single man, the pay is not high enough for a family; priests tend to change parishes every 4 years which would destabilize the family. Cardinal Aloysius also argued for celibate priests because of his time in yugoslavia watching Catholic priests dying for their faith instead of renouncing it like the others because they were worried about their families. And I am well aware of the fact that the pope is reconsidering it because you are right that the main reason for the discipline is not as prevelant today as it once was but that still doesn't change the other factors.

- my friend Marc
19-03-2015, 02:36 AM
(18-03-2015 04:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think the title of the thread should be, Why the fuck would anyone not want to fuck?

[Image: PrXlLb4.gif]

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]