Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 03:46 AM
RE: Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
I think it's like the pedophile version of signing up for home economics class to pick up girls.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 04:56 AM
(19-03-2015 03:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it's like the pedophile version of signing up for home economics class to pick up girls.

I did that in my sophomore year of high school.... When I showed up in the class the first day - the teacher was adamant that I could not take her class. Because they discussed women's periods...

Dodgy

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-03-2015, 05:24 AM
(18-03-2015 10:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Buncha crap. That's what they tell you. All the other Christian denominations allow married clergy, and supposedly the Pope is considering allowing it. Ministers in all the other denominations have no problem with it, and before the Roman church required it, their clergy had no problem with it The REAL reason the church required it was economic. They didn't want to deal with inheritance matters, THEN AFTER, they justified it with their BS.

I knew about the inheritance thing but that doesn't change the fact that it would be difficult to raise a family as a priest. While comfortable for a single man, the pay is not high enough for a family; priests tend to change parishes every 4 years which would destabilize the family. Cardinal Aloysius also argued for celibate priests because of his time in yugoslavia watching Catholic priests dying for their faith instead of renouncing it like the others because they were worried about their families. And I am well aware of the fact that the pope is reconsidering it because you are right that the main reason for the discipline is not as prevelant today as it once was but that still doesn't change the other factors.

Raising a family, and being married are not the same thing. Nice try there, sport. Many priests today hold professional positions, besides having parish responsibilities. Priests don't change parishes in the US every 4 years. Nice try again. All these lame crappy attempts to justify a lame crappy OUTMODED system. ARe you not embarrased ? ANt BTW, 61 students ? Really? You do knw I hope that there are studied that demonstrate THAT is not a large enough student population for a healthy real environment. And on top of that, I just bet mommy and daddy are PAYING out the ass to send you to such a poor environment. Some day you will wake up, and thing "WTF was I thinking ?" All the "other factors" could be dealt with and changed if anyone REALLY wanted to make the change, and you are deflecting from the REAL argument here, that human are sexual beings, and YOU think it's healthy to deny that fact.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2015, 08:01 AM
(19-03-2015 05:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 10:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I knew about the inheritance thing but that doesn't change the fact that it would be difficult to raise a family as a priest. While comfortable for a single man, the pay is not high enough for a family; priests tend to change parishes every 4 years which would destabilize the family. Cardinal Aloysius also argued for celibate priests because of his time in yugoslavia watching Catholic priests dying for their faith instead of renouncing it like the others because they were worried about their families. And I am well aware of the fact that the pope is reconsidering it because you are right that the main reason for the discipline is not as prevelant today as it once was but that still doesn't change the other factors.

Priests don't change parishes in the US every 4 years.

Actually, my experience tends to support Mr. Smith's claim. Relatively recently, I was a practicing Catholic for several years. My parish had the same pastor for the entire time, but went through five different "parochial vicars" in as many years. Three of those are now pastors or associate pastors at other parishes. Every spring, the diocese publishes a huge list of priests who are moving to different parishes. For whatever reason, they do tend to get moved around a lot -- at least in my diocese (Madison, WI).
19-03-2015, 08:04 AM
(19-03-2015 05:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 10:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I knew about the inheritance thing but that doesn't change the fact that it would be difficult to raise a family as a priest. While comfortable for a single man, the pay is not high enough for a family; priests tend to change parishes every 4 years which would destabilize the family. Cardinal Aloysius also argued for celibate priests because of his time in yugoslavia watching Catholic priests dying for their faith instead of renouncing it like the others because they were worried about their families. And I am well aware of the fact that the pope is reconsidering it because you are right that the main reason for the discipline is not as prevelant today as it once was but that still doesn't change the other factors.

Raising a family, and being married are not the same thing. Nice try there, sport. Many priests today hold professional positions, besides having parish responsibilities. Priests don't change parishes in the US every 4 years. Nice try again. All these lame crappy attempts to justify a lame crappy OUTMODED system. ARe you not embarrased ? ANt BTW, 61 students ? Really? You do knw I hope that there are studied that demonstrate THAT is not a large enough student population for a healthy real environment. And on top of that, I just bet mommy and daddy are PAYING out the ass to send you to such a poor environment. Some day you will wake up, and thing "WTF was I thinking ?" All the "other factors" could be dealt with and changed if anyone REALLY wanted to make the change, and you are deflecting from the REAL argument here, that human are sexual beings, and YOU think it's healthy to deny that fact.

In Catholic teaching, the natural end if marriage is to raise a family. It's why a marriage isn't valid until the couple has sex. I don't believe that it is healthy to deny the fact that humans are sexual beings. The two basic desires are food and sex. The church doesn't deny this. And like I said there are married catholic priests its not that big of a deal. The thing is that no one really wants to change. Most new priests don't want the change that's why most attempts at changing it tend to fail. The system, for the most part, works, new priests don't want the change, change would require reorganization, most priests are happy. So why change it.

There are 81 students and doesn't Dunbar's number state that one can only maintain between 100-250 relationships. In any case, most people who come here find that the community is stronger than at other universities. I find that I have way more stable relationships here than I did in Toronto. What in particular were you thinking when you meant that it is not a healthy real environment. It's not like a workplace normally has more than 100 employees, unless its a big corporation.
You are correct Mommy and Daddy are paying for it (I gave up working this Summer in exchange for my parents paying for my schooling so that I could stay home and help take care of my sister who developed an auto-immune disease this Summer) but they are paying the same amount as any university in Canada and less when you consider the text books. I actually like it so much here that I'm thinking of moving to Barry's Bay where the school is.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
19-03-2015, 08:09 AM
(18-03-2015 07:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For the exact same reason why a grown man would want to put on shorts and a kerchief and go camping on his day off with a bunch of young guys in a tent out in the wilderness..... (Think "Boy Scouts")

Suuuree -- nothing wrong there, huh????

Think about this one folks --- would you allow your DAUGHTER to go hang out with some guy all weekend in a tent??? Why not??? He's an upstanding guy - and he's NOT gay!!!! So WHY THE FUCK do they assume it's OK to send their sons out with freaks like this?????????????????

The stupidity and gullibility of people never fails to astound me....

Think about it for a second....

WHY would a guy want to live in close proximity to other guys who aren't getting any sex from women??????

Do we have to draw you a fucking picture???????

I think you're unfairly stereotyping here. I grew up as a Catholic, went to a Catholic elementary school and high school, and attended Mass regularly until I was in my late teens. I was also in the Boy Scouts for several years. No priest or scoutmaster ever made any sexual advances toward me. Nor did I ever see or hear of any such thing involving anyone else in my parish (or in my scout troop). I don't deny that such things happen occasionally, but they are not the norm, and they are not nearly as widespread as the popular stereotype would lead you to believe. People become priests and/or scoutmasters for all sorts of reasons. They are not all gay pedophiles looking to score.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
19-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I've heard-tell that when a Catholic couple gets married the priest sits them down and gives some sort of marriage advice. Dodgy

Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-03-2015, 09:02 AM
(18-03-2015 03:58 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Seriously? why?

You are not allowed to make love, get married, have a LIFE, nor are you allowed to do many other fucking things that bring people happiness, joy, excitement, and fulfillment in their lives.

Why the hell would anyone willingly subject themselves to ruining their lives and willingly throwing away their happiness like that?

You're missing something very important. The prohibition doesn't mean you can't do those things. It only means you have to pretend you don't do them. And then when you get caught, the Church quietly transfers you to another parish and shields you from the law. You own no property but the entire resources of your church are at your disposal. You're not allowed to have sex, so everyone you have sex with thinks they have you all to him- or herself. If you are into young boys or girls, their parents trust you with them, because you are a priest. You can threaten people with hell or promise them paradise and they believe you. People tell you their deepest secrets and you have the power to impose penance on them and forgive them or not, at your whim.

It's not the life I'd choose, but it definitely has its perks.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
19-03-2015, 09:11 AM
(18-03-2015 09:37 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  How very very very strange. Sex is healthy. The fact that a bunch of people *may* (and I say *may*, as I think you're just too naive and out of it to know the truth) not be learning about health sex at the very time they should be, and repressing it, is really really sick. Repressing sex is not healthy, and the culture that values that very attitude (repression), is THE very culture that produced so many abusers, molesters, and nuts. No wonder we keep hearing about groups of "recovering Catholics", and no wonder ex-Catholics comprise 10 % of the US population.

Trust me I'm not naive. There really is no sex going on at the academy. And I don't think there is much repression involved. Most of us like it like that. I know that I prefer it. I dated a girl for 6 weeks and the most I did was kiss her on the cheek once. And since then, I actually prefer it if a relationship goes slow. I think part of it is that we don't think of sex as bad but the opposite. We think sex is one of the most amazing things there is. I'm a 22 year old virgin but I don't feel any real need to have sex.

So you're a "peeper" / inspector ? You really have no clue what is going on there, if anyone wanted to hide it. The fact that "most of you like it like that", is proof you are alll in need of counseling. "Going slow" does not mean "never moving along". The fact is Evolution produced sexually mature humans to who are ready to go about 14. Sounds like you won't be ready till your 50. If you are a 22 year old virgin, then you are emotionally retarded, and don't give me this "sex is amazing" shit. Sex is normal. It's neither amazing nor "not amazing". It's as normal a breathing to primates. The fact that your cult has indoctrinated you into thuis repressive apologetic is REALLY sad. I'm not suggesting anyone have casual sex, (although if someone wants that, it's their choice) but this "no sex until marriage" crap, is unhealthy and how would anyone even know what they wanted, if they never did anything ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-03-2015, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 09:33 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-03-2015 08:04 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  In Catholic teaching, the natural end if marriage is to raise a family. It's why a marriage isn't valid until the couple has sex.

So what ? A bunch of unmarried human MALES cooked that up. Why should it guide anyone's thinking ? You can't think for yourself ?

(19-03-2015 08:04 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I said there are married catholic priests its not that big of a deal. The thing is that no one really wants to change.

Really. Prove it. Let's see the peer reviewed stidies that demonstrate that.
The point isn't that some don't want to change. The fact is there is HUGE priest shortage, and one of the reasons cited is the celebacy requirement. It's not about men who are ALREADY priests, it's about those who could be, if the stupid rule were not in place. And BTW, when are you people going to join the 21st Century and allow women to clelebrate the Eucharist ? If not, what EXACTLY is the difference between a male soul and a female soul, and where EXACTLY is the boundary ? Can a hermaphrodite be a priest ? If not do you people do "tests" and 'genitalia checks' when people join the seminary ? Tongue

(19-03-2015 08:04 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Most new priests don't want the change that's why most attempts at changing it tend to fail. The system, for the most part, works, new priests don't want the change, change would require reorganization, most priests are happy. So why change it.

Irrelevant. See about, and PROVE your assertions.

(19-03-2015 08:04 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  There are 81 students and doesn't Dunbar's number state that one can only maintain between 100-250 relationships. In any case, most people who come here find that the community is stronger than at other universities. I find that I have way more stable relationships here than I did in Toronto. What in particular were you thinking when you meant that it is not a healthy real environment. It's not like a workplace normally has more than 100 employees, unless its a big corporation.
You are correct Mommy and Daddy are paying for it (I gave up working this Summer in exchange for my parents paying for my schooling so that I could stay home and help take care of my sister who developed an auto-immune disease this Summer) but they are paying the same amount as any university in Canada and less when you consider the text books. I actually like it so much here that I'm thinking of moving to Barry's Bay where the school is.

And THAT is preparing you for life in the REAL world ? Hahahahaha
Google : "Minimum viable education environments". There is no way a bucnha Catholic boys together creates a DIVERSE environment which prepares anyone for life in the REAL WORLD, unless you're planning on a monastic existence on a farm.
You're delusional to the max.