Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 09:32 AM
RE: Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
(19-03-2015 08:01 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 05:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Priests don't change parishes in the US every 4 years.

Actually, my experience tends to support Mr. Smith's claim. Relatively recently, I was a practicing Catholic for several years. My parish had the same pastor for the entire time, but went through five different "parochial vicars" in as many years. Three of those are now pastors or associate pastors at other parishes. Every spring, the diocese publishes a huge list of priests who are moving to different parishes. For whatever reason, they do tend to get moved around a lot -- at least in my diocese (Madison, WI).

Well it's an entirely STUPID system. Where my cousins (Catholic) live, the pastors are (unofficially) "approved" by the parish council, and stay for at least 11 years. It's a very stable environment. (It SHOULD be entirely at the will of the parish council to hire and fire). But just because Episcopalians know how to do it right, doesn't mean everyone does. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 09:37 AM
(19-03-2015 09:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 08:01 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Actually, my experience tends to support Mr. Smith's claim. Relatively recently, I was a practicing Catholic for several years. My parish had the same pastor for the entire time, but went through five different "parochial vicars" in as many years. Three of those are now pastors or associate pastors at other parishes. Every spring, the diocese publishes a huge list of priests who are moving to different parishes. For whatever reason, they do tend to get moved around a lot -- at least in my diocese (Madison, WI).

Well it's an entirely STUPID system. Where my cousins (Catholic) live, the pastors are (unofficially) "approved" by the parish council, and stay for at least 11 years. It's a very stable environment. (It SHOULD be entirely at the will of the parish council to hire and fire). But just because Episcopalians know how to do it right, doesn't mean everyone does. Big Grin

Yabut, Episcopalians are Protestants - not True Christians™. So there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2015, 10:58 AM
(19-03-2015 09:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:37 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Trust me I'm not naive. There really is no sex going on at the academy. And I don't think there is much repression involved. Most of us like it like that. I know that I prefer it. I dated a girl for 6 weeks and the most I did was kiss her on the cheek once. And since then, I actually prefer it if a relationship goes slow. I think part of it is that we don't think of sex as bad but the opposite. We think sex is one of the most amazing things there is. I'm a 22 year old virgin but I don't feel any real need to have sex.

So you're a "peeper" / inspector ? You really have no clue what is going on there, if anyone wanted to hide it. The fact that "most of you like it like that", is proof you are alll in need of counseling. "Going slow" does not mean "never moving along". The fact is Evolution produced sexually mature humans to who are ready to go about 14. Sounds like you won't be ready till your 50. If you are a 22 year old virgin, then you are emotionally retarded, and don't give me this "sex is amazing" shit. Sex is normal. It's neither amazing nor "not amazing". It's as normal a breathing to primates. The fact that your cult has indoctrinated you into thuis repressive apologetic is REALLY sad. I'm not suggesting anyone have casual sex, (although if someone wants that, it's their choice) but this "no sex until marriage" crap, is unhealthy and how would anyone even know what they wanted, if they never did anything ?

You make sex sound terrifying. You say it's not that great but if you don't have it then you will go crazy or become an alcoholic. I don't know about you but this seems like a fairly unhealthy way to view sex. And you might be right that if a couple wanted to hide it they could, but really in a school of 81 in a town of 1200. Trying to hide things is pretty damn difficult. Also the four current couples all live in my dorm of 10 people and two of them are my best friends. So while you are correct that I do not have 100% proof that no o e is having sex, I can be pretty damn confident.

Also I find it interesting that you are so sure that I am emotionally retarded because I haven't had sex.

Furthermore relationships do move along. I went to my RA's wedding last summer, I'm going to two more this summer, was invited to another, and am going to another two summers from now.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
19-03-2015, 11:34 AM
(18-03-2015 03:58 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Seriously? why?

You are not allowed to make love, get married, have a LIFE, nor are you allowed to do many other fucking things that bring people happiness, joy, excitement, and fulfillment in their lives.

Why the hell would anyone willingly subject themselves to ruining their lives and willingly throwing away their happiness like that?

As one who seriously considered becoming a priest at one time in my life, I can only tell you why I considered it.

Prior to my mid-teens, I had just gone along with the family - going to church once a week, believing because I was told it was right, etc. But, as I became old enough to begin thinking more for myself, it occurred to me that this business of heaven vs. hell demanded more than my simply taking it for granted. If there really was a god and earth was but a blip in time with heaven being the "real goal", then I figured there was no point in investing my energies into this life. It made far more sense to me to dedicate my life to god now and increase my chances of getting into heaven later. That was the main driving force.

But, at that point in my life, I had never had a girlfriend and, being a quiet/shy type of person then, I had no confidence I necessarily ever would. It seemed to me that, if I wasn't ever going to be married, the priesthood would be a good way to explain it to everyone else. Plus, being a priest seemed like a fairly easy job to do too. And I had no clue what career I otherwise wanted to go into then either. So those were the "wrong reasons", but they were part of the attraction.

I would guess many priests had similar reasons. I'm not counting the pedophiles in this. They obviously had different reasons. Dodgy

But that decision to dedicate my life to god ultimately was a major factor in my apostasy too. The more I learned, the more I realized it made no sense and, when some other factors came along, it ultimately all fell apart.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
19-03-2015, 11:40 AM
(19-03-2015 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 09:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you're a "peeper" / inspector ? You really have no clue what is going on there, if anyone wanted to hide it. The fact that "most of you like it like that", is proof you are alll in need of counseling. "Going slow" does not mean "never moving along". The fact is Evolution produced sexually mature humans to who are ready to go about 14. Sounds like you won't be ready till your 50. If you are a 22 year old virgin, then you are emotionally retarded, and don't give me this "sex is amazing" shit. Sex is normal. It's neither amazing nor "not amazing". It's as normal a breathing to primates. The fact that your cult has indoctrinated you into thuis repressive apologetic is REALLY sad. I'm not suggesting anyone have casual sex, (although if someone wants that, it's their choice) but this "no sex until marriage" crap, is unhealthy and how would anyone even know what they wanted, if they never did anything ?

You make sex sound terrifying.

How did he do that? By calling it as normal as breathing? Consider

Quote:You say it's not that great but if you don't have it then you will go crazy or become an alcoholic.

Except he said no such thing.

Quote:I don't know about you but this seems like a fairly unhealthy way to view sex.

Normal is unhealthy?

Quote:And you might be right that if a couple wanted to hide it they could, but really in a school of 81 in a town of 1200. Trying to hide things is pretty damn difficult. Also the four current couples all live in my dorm of 10 people and two of them are my best friends. So while you are correct that I do not have 100% proof that no o e is having sex, I can be pretty damn confident.

Also I find it interesting that you are so sure that I am emotionally retarded because I haven't had sex.

Your attitude towards sex is abnormal and unhealthy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2015, 11:46 AM
(19-03-2015 04:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 03:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it's like the pedophile version of signing up for home economics class to pick up girls.

I did that in my sophomore year of high school.... When I showed up in the class the first day - the teacher was adamant that I could not take her class. Because they discussed women's periods...

Dodgy

That's funny. My high school had home economics too. My grandmother insisted I take it, really I had no interest, but I did.

Im not kidding, the class was mostly boys. We were divided into groups of four, there was only one girl for every three boys. Dodgy

We actually asked the teacher if she would let the girls have their own group and she said no it wouldn't be fair. No clue what she meant by that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-03-2015, 11:57 AM
(19-03-2015 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 09:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you're a "peeper" / inspector ? You really have no clue what is going on there, if anyone wanted to hide it. The fact that "most of you like it like that", is proof you are alll in need of counseling. "Going slow" does not mean "never moving along". The fact is Evolution produced sexually mature humans to who are ready to go about 14. Sounds like you won't be ready till your 50. If you are a 22 year old virgin, then you are emotionally retarded, and don't give me this "sex is amazing" shit. Sex is normal. It's neither amazing nor "not amazing". It's as normal a breathing to primates. The fact that your cult has indoctrinated you into thuis repressive apologetic is REALLY sad. I'm not suggesting anyone have casual sex, (although if someone wants that, it's their choice) but this "no sex until marriage" crap, is unhealthy and how would anyone even know what they wanted, if they never did anything ?

You make sex sound terrifying. You say it's not that great but if you don't have it then you will go crazy or become an alcoholic. I don't know about you but this seems like a fairly unhealthy way to view sex. And you might be right that if a couple wanted to hide it they could, but really in a school of 81 in a town of 1200. Trying to hide things is pretty damn difficult. Also the four current couples all live in my dorm of 10 people and two of them are my best friends. So while you are correct that I do not have 100% proof that no o e is having sex, I can be pretty damn confident.

Furthermore relationships do move along. I went to my RA's wedding last summer, I'm going to two more this summer, was invited to another, and am going to another two summers from now.

Yeah I get that you're afraid of having sex. If you had delevoped normally like any other 21st Century young person, you would have had some experiences. The fact you haven't is in no way a "plus", or anything to be valued, in any way. Virginity just means you're a complete bore, in bed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-03-2015, 12:08 PM
(19-03-2015 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You make sex sound terrifying. You say it's not that great but if you don't have it then you will go crazy or become an alcoholic. I don't know about you but this seems like a fairly unhealthy way to view sex. And you might be right that if a couple wanted to hide it they could, but really in a school of 81 in a town of 1200. Trying to hide things is pretty damn difficult. Also the four current couples all live in my dorm of 10 people and two of them are my best friends. So while you are correct that I do not have 100% proof that no o e is having sex, I can be pretty damn confident.

Yeah I get that you're afraid of having sex. If you had delevoped normally like any other 21st Century young person, you would have had some experiences. The fact you haven't is in no way a "plus", or anything to be valued, in any way. Virginity just means you're a complete bore, in bed.

I'm not scared of sex, I can't wait to have sex (well I can but that's not the point). And I said I was a virgin not that I haven't had experiences before. I heard on daily planet that sex is 400% better than masterbation so that sounds pretty awesome, and if your both inexperianced then I doubt that it will be that boring. In anycase its how you take things. If you want something to be a spiritual experience then make it spiritual. For many beer and wine are just drinks. For me it's a form of giving thanks to God.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
19-03-2015, 03:38 PM
(19-03-2015 12:08 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  For many beer and wine are just drinks. For me it's a form of giving thanks to God.

Nope. For you, wine is a form of cannibalism. Weeping

All your high highfalutin BS about sex being "spiritual" is just crap from someone who knows NOTHING about what he's talking about. Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2015, 03:43 PM
To get more quality time with children Wink