Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2015, 02:01 PM
RE: Why the fuck would anyone want to be a priest?
(20-03-2015 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 01:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well....some priests do have degrees in counseling. If they didn't feel comfortable or felt the issues were beyond them, they'd refer to other Catholic therapists.

As far as being married to give marital advice -- I'm not so sure that really is an issue. Not all marriage counselors have "successful" marriages. Most of the ones I knew were divorced and one was never married.

Not all marriage issues involve sex, they usually involve money and communication.

And promising to raise the kids as Catholics. Dodgy

So what happens if you promise to raise the kids as Catholics but don't. What do they do, come and take the kids away from you? How can they force you to do that?

(I'm in a learning mood today. I know nothing about all this shit.)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't know how that shit works there but a man here can get married and then become a priest. Totally legit. That means wife, sex, everything.

They also make money without having to do much. They are respected everywhere and they have all the free time in the world. Hell, if I could be one I'd probably be.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
20-03-2015, 02:12 PM
(20-03-2015 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 01:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well....some priests do have degrees in counseling. If they didn't feel comfortable or felt the issues were beyond them, they'd refer to other Catholic therapists.

As far as being married to give marital advice -- I'm not so sure that really is an issue. Not all marriage counselors have "successful" marriages. Most of the ones I knew were divorced and one was never married.

Not all marriage issues involve sex, they usually involve money and communication.

And promising to raise the kids as Catholics. Dodgy

I was speaking only as someone who was already married and having issues.

We promised to raise our children catholic too, but before we married and actually scored extremely high on our individual personality test they gave us, especially in areas of communication. In spritual areas, we were further apart, but the communication about that encouraged the priest greatly.

In our premarital classes we brought wonderful ideas in improving communication -- the couple in charge of the sessions, not a priest btw, were impressed and continued to use our ideas in future classes. Ironically, two years later we were the only couple in our class still wed.

As far as the children pledge was concerned, we were abject failures to that end. Our oldest was baptized when he was two; we caved to family pressures and our youngest we simply refused to partake in the ritual.

Still, my point was someone doesn't actually need to be "married" to give excellent advice.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-03-2015, 02:13 PM
(20-03-2015 02:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  And promising to raise the kids as Catholics. Dodgy

So what happens if you promise to raise the kids as Catholics but don't. What do they do, come and take the kids away from you? How can they force you to do that?

Nothing. I suppose one might say you're guilty of sin...but yeah, nothing.

20-03-2015, 02:21 PM
(20-03-2015 02:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  And promising to raise the kids as Catholics. Dodgy

I was speaking only as someone who was already married and having issues.

We promised to raise our children catholic too, but before we married and actually scored extremely high on our individual personality test they gave us, especially in areas of communication. In spritual areas, we were further apart, but the communication about that encouraged the priest greatly.

In our premarital classes we brought wonderful ideas in improving communication -- the couple in charge of the sessions, not a priest btw, were impressed and continued to use our ideas in future classes. Ironically, two years later we were the only couple in our class still wed.

As far as the children pledge was concerned, we were abject failures to that end. Our oldest was baptized when he was two; we caved to family pressures and our youngest we simply refused to partake in the ritual.

Still, my point was someone doesn't actually need to be "married" to give excellent advice.

Although having experience is good, it is not always needed. The way to look at it is like they are psychologists or therapists. Not every therapist has experienced every problem themselves but they do training and they see hundreds of clients. Same thing with a priest. They have to get permission to do spiritual direction and they see hundreds of people. So they have seen a huge range of problems and have learned how to deal with them. My school's chaplain has a doctorate in family studies and sees students every day. And he is known for being excellent at giving relationship advice. But of course there are bad priests just as there are bad therapists, so you do have to use your own judgement.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
20-03-2015, 02:56 PM
(20-03-2015 02:21 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 02:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was speaking only as someone who was already married and having issues.

Although having experience is good, it is not always needed. The way to look at it is like they are psychologists or therapists. Not every therapist has experienced every problem themselves but they do training and they see hundreds of clients. Same thing with a priest. They have to get permission to do spiritual direction and they see hundreds of people. So they have seen a huge range of problems and have learned how to deal with them. My school's chaplain has a doctorate in family studies and sees students every day. And he is known for being excellent at giving relationship advice. But of course there are bad priests just as there are bad therapists, so you do have to use your own judgement.

Not sure I understand why you quoted me. I agree with you on this point. I don't believe someone needs to be schizophrenic to diagnose or treat someone else of schizophrenia. Same can be said for many therapists.

In fact the point of therapy isn't for the therapist to talk about their relationships good or bad, the point is to get the subject to talk and create a safe environment that is conducive to wanting to share -- then working on ways of altering the frame of thought or mindset.

20-03-2015, 03:00 PM
(20-03-2015 02:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 02:21 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Although having experience is good, it is not always needed. The way to look at it is like they are psychologists or therapists. Not every therapist has experienced every problem themselves but they do training and they see hundreds of clients. Same thing with a priest. They have to get permission to do spiritual direction and they see hundreds of people. So they have seen a huge range of problems and have learned how to deal with them. My school's chaplain has a doctorate in family studies and sees students every day. And he is known for being excellent at giving relationship advice. But of course there are bad priests just as there are bad therapists, so you do have to use your own judgement.

Not sure I understand why you quoted me. I agree with you on this point. I don't believe someone needs to be schizophrenic to diagnose or treat someone else of schizophrenia. Same can be said for many therapists.

In fact the point of therapy isn't for the therapist to talk about their relationships good or bad, the point is to get the subject to talk and create a safe environment that is conducive to wanting to share -- then working on ways of altering the frame of thought or mindset.

Sorry, I quoted you because I agreed with you and wanted to expand on the concept.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
20-03-2015, 04:33 PM
The clergy is one of the so-called "helping professions" and I would imagine most people enter the ministry because of idealistic (and sometimes, vaguely defined) notions of "helping others". A similar question is why would someone risk their life to be a police officer for a median wage of maybe $25/hr when they could make easily twice as much programming computers in relative safety? Well, maybe programming is not very compelling and satisfying compared to policing, to a lot of people.

One time a police officer opined to me that a lot of kids enter the force for idealistic reasons but they are quickly disabused of their idealism, turning a lot of them into bitter, cynical people who, as he put it, "like the feel of their goddamn authority". I have to believe that the same thing happens in the clergy, nursing, doctoring, etc. I certainly have met bitter, cynical users in those professions, as well as people who transcended the challenges.

While I'm no longer a theist, I don't think it's an inherently stupid idea to make certain sacrifices in order to devote yourself to others, so long as it's a decent tradeoff for you personally. Nor do I have any particular sympathy for those who choose the celibate orders, as no one holds a gun to their head to make them do it, and there are tons of clergy in other denominations who are allowed to marry.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-03-2015, 04:56 PM
(20-03-2015 02:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 02:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So what happens if you promise to raise the kids as Catholics but don't. What do they do, come and take the kids away from you? How can they force you to do that?

Nothing. I suppose one might say you're guilty of sin...but yeah, nothing.

Yabut, they used to be able to punish - and did.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2015, 04:59 PM
(20-03-2015 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 02:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nothing. I suppose one might say you're guilty of sin...but yeah, nothing.

Yabut, they used to be able to punish - and did.

True but society forced that change. Smile