Why the hell are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 09:09 PM
RE: Why the hell are you an atheist?
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.

For me, Zombocalypse, what you describe is impossible. I cannot love something that I think is imaginary.

I cannot arbitrarily change my emotions, either. That isn't how emotions actually work. At most I can behave in a loving manner. I cannot force myself to love people at random, nor can I pretend to love specific individuals whom I actually dislike. If I attempted to deny what I legitimately do feel I would be betraying myself and pushing myself into a state of cognitive dissonance.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
06-05-2017, 09:11 PM
(06-05-2017 08:40 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was serious when I asked why you were not a Buddhist. Please answer.

Because anything and everything outside of Christianity that is in any way spiritual, I consider to be the work of the devil. Classic Christian doctrine. At least I think.

Nope. It's not "classic Christian doctrine", at all.
Someone made that shit up, told you, and you bought it.
The concept of "devils" was invented in ancient Babylon. They are entirely mythical attempts to explain the world they encountered. (Read Dr. Elaine Pagels' (Princeton) "The Origins of Satan").
Seriously ? Devils in 2017 ? Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2017, 09:12 PM
(06-05-2017 08:55 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I find it excruciatingly hard to "love" a fictional character.

I don't know, Grasshopper, I had quite the crush on Aragorn (in the book! Vigo What's His Mug doesn't cut it Dodgy ) when I was a tiny-teenage-tot. Always a soft spot for them tortured heroes I had Blush

I had second thoughts about that statement after posting. I too have loved some fictional characters (Rosalind in Shakepeare's As You Like It, and Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate -- not because of Dustin Hoffman per se, but because I saw my own social awkwardness in that character).

So let me amend the statement: How can you "love" a fictional character who "repents himself" by drowning everyone on earth, including innocent babies and animals, who lets his own son be killed to atone for some minor disobedience by someone else thousands of years earlier, and who will happily send you to burn in Hell forever if you don't think all of the above is the greatest thing since sliced bread? How can you love that fictional character???
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Why the hell you still believe ancient fairy tales? Grow up, it does not take much brainpower to see how absurd they are.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-05-2017, 09:15 PM
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why the hell are you an atheist?
Because I don't believe in God.
Quote:For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian.
It's hard on your bank account. It's also very boring.
Quote:The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.
God would have to earn my affection. He has yet to show up to court me.

Quote:Number two, I'm honestly very curious as to what led you to atheism. I'm a beginner in this sort of thing and although I still am a Christian, I'm still researching the truth. I am on the side of truth. If Jesus and God are debunked, I will surely move to atheism myself.

Thanks.
The lack of evidence does the debunking. You must move to atheism now.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
06-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Well, for many of our atheist friends, they read the Bible. For others it was other stuff in their lives, or they were never raised with belief in the first place. Anyhow, there's already two threads right on the front page of this subforum.

(06-05-2017 08:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:25 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Please don't think that.

I just had a bad title is all. I'm sorry.

Why the hell should we believe you? Tongue Wink But seriously, if you are not a troll--repent, and FSM will forgive you.

Random aside, and to be blunt, I don't feel like this is an awful derail given the thread, in grad school the local parish had Pancakes at Midnight. It was an event where Jesus was never mentioned, just pancakes were served to students at Finals Week; it was done that way intentionally, but students still fondly called it "Jesuscakes". The Secular Student Alliance chapter held a pasta dinner one year opposite of it and did not make a dent in the thousand plus students who always attended. I only just now realized the pasta was probably due to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and can't help but think if they bothered explaining that in their advertising, it would've helped.

(06-05-2017 09:07 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Isn't it about time they edited it out?

You're thinking of The Message "translation". Drinking Beverage It's basically the Joel Osteen of Bible translations. (Maybe I'm giving it too much shit, but...yeah, it tends to erm, have issues with rephrasing things.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Modern Christian "translation" Tongue (I'm just being a joker here)

Old Testament: Replace with "God did everything", and "Gays are bad". Ditch the rest.

New Testament: Replace with "Love thy neighbor (as long as they're not gay)". Ditch the rest.

You're now the same as a regular person, except you think some dude magicked everything up one day, you're homophobic and you're also secretly gay.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
06-05-2017, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 09:47 PM by Vera.)
(06-05-2017 09:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I had second thoughts about that statement after posting. I too have loved some fictional characters (Rosalind in Shakepeare's As You Like It, and Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate -- not because of Dustin Hoffman per se, but because I saw my own social awkwardness in that character).

Oh, oh, then you so have to watch this. I think it's lovely. Heart

Also, my landlady was telling me about some ex-relatives of hers saying how if a certain woman had been born beautiful, she would have married well and not have to worry about working or something like this.

Shame on her for not having the decency to be born prettier, the slob Dodgy

And yeah, it annoys me to no end (has nothing to do with me personally, I never liked the way I look anyway) how a woman may have achieved so much and yet there are always going to be comments about the way she looks, be them negative or positive. Because in this day and age one, if not *the* principal attribute a woman must possess is prettiness. You know, if the male gaze ain't pleased, all her achievements aren't worth squat (and she better do them squats, too, we don't want her to get a saggy bottom now, do we? Dodgy )

And a related rant - I keep talking about Thomas Pesquet and I admire him a lot, but I also admire Peggy Whitson just as much. And yet, even though she's a biochemist and has spent the longest time in space of all NASA astronauts, I repeatedly see her referred to as "Mama (or Maman) Peggy" on the internet (I am yet to see Oleg referred to as Papa Oleg). Because a woman is above all meant to be pleasing to the eyes of men, bear the fruit of their loins and freaking look after them. Everything else is nowhere near as important.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
06-05-2017, 09:40 PM
(06-05-2017 09:33 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Modern Christian "translation" Tongue (I'm just being a joker here)

Old Testament: Replace with "God did everything", and "Gays are bad". Ditch the rest.

New Testament: Replace with "Love thy neighbor (as long as they're not gay)". Ditch the rest.

You're now the same as a regular person, except you think some dude magicked everything up one day, you're homophobic and you're also secretly gay.

Darnit Robvalue, how did you break into our Republican Jesus Vault and lift the New Bible to be instituted after Betsy DeVos makes sure the children can't read? Tongue Also don't forget divorce is totally not condemned now in the new version, since most of the people who had a hand in writing it are on their 3rd and 4th marriages.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-05-2017, 09:44 PM
(06-05-2017 09:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 09:33 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Modern Christian "translation" Tongue (I'm just being a joker here)

Darnit Robvalue, how did you break into our Republican Jesus Vault and lift the New Bible to be instituted after Betsy DeVos makes sure the children can't read? Tongue Also don't forget divorce is totally not condemned now in the new version, since most of the people who had a hand in writing it are on their 3rd and 4th marriages.

Ah well, a simple matter of disguise.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post