Why the hell are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Why the hell are you an atheist?
(06-05-2017 09:36 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 09:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I had second thoughts about that statement after posting. I too have loved some fictional characters (Rosalind in Shakepeare's As You Like It, and Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate -- not because of Dustin Hoffman per se, but because I saw my own social awkwardness in that character).

Oh, oh, then you so have to watch this. I think it's lovely.

I will have to watch that Monday at work -- believe it or not, the sound doesn't work on my home computer (hasn't worked for months, and this is an old computer that's not worth fixing). Notwithstanding my earlier comment, I am also a big Dustin Hoffman fan, and Tootsie was a great movie.

Quote:Also, my landlady was telling me about some ex-relatives of hers saying how if a certain woman had been born beautiful, she would have married well and not have to worry about working or something like this.

Shame on her for not having the decency to be born prettier, the slob Dodgy

And yeah, it annoys me to no end (has nothing to do with me personally, I never liked the way I looked anyway) how a woman may have achieved so much and yet there are always going to be comments about the way she looks, be them negative or positive. Because in this day and age one, if not *the* principal attribute a woman must possess is prettiness.

This reminds me of an argument I had with my nephew back in the 1980s. You may be too young to remember these people, but he was really upset one year because Bonnie Raitt beat out Paula Abdul for a Grammy award, and damn it, Paula Abdul was prettier! Never mind that Bonnie Raitt was 10 times the musician that Paul Abdul was. Of course, he also thought Motley Crue were better than the Beatles because they were louder. He has since matured.

Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-05-2017, 09:48 PM
(06-05-2017 09:44 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 09:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Darnit Robvalue, how did you break into our Republican Jesus Vault and lift the New Bible to be instituted after Betsy DeVos makes sure the children can't read? Tongue Also don't forget divorce is totally not condemned now in the new version, since most of the people who had a hand in writing it are on their 3rd and 4th marriages.

Ah well, a simple matter of disguise.

I could see where a Trump mask would be indistinguishable from the real thing, given how waxy his face is. Wink Also, if anyone in a Trump mask wants to run up and give me an envelope full of $20 bills just for being me, would be happy to take their money. Much like the Church, I care not from where the money comes.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-05-2017, 09:58 PM
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why the hell are you an atheist?

For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.

Number two, I'm honestly very curious as to what led you to atheism. I'm a beginner in this sort of thing and although I still am a Christian, I'm still researching the truth. I am on the side of truth. If Jesus and God are debunked, I will surely move to atheism myself.

Thanks.

Be an atheist, or be a Christian. Who gives a shit?

I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe in your Jesus character because all the "proof texts" that Christians use to try to convince themselves that Jesus was the Jewish messiah are forgeries and lies.

Oh, you're one of those kinds of posters. I see how it's going to be with you. Dodgy
[Image: product-img-14.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
(06-05-2017 09:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  [Image: product-img-14.jpg]

Cheese-free cheese...how nice. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Why the hell do you ask stupid questions you already know the answer to ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Coming up next:

"Are you a Christian yet?"

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
06-05-2017, 10:26 PM
(06-05-2017 10:24 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Coming up next:

"Are you a Christian yet?"

Is that the remake of Are We There Yet?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
06-05-2017, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 10:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-05-2017 08:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Sir, I'm not a troll.

Just how stupid do you think we are? Seriously, this is one of the weakest trolling attempts I've seen here. And I've seen plenty. Madam. Dodgy

It always likes to use "Sir" for some peculiar reason.

(06-05-2017 08:29 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  I kindly ask you to stop this undeserved hostility towards me.

I'm here to learn.

Oh for fuck's sake, you again? Get a life.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-05-2017, 11:25 PM
(06-05-2017 08:29 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  It's not the freaking title. It's pretty much EVERYTHING you've ever said. It's not that hard to understand. Seriously.

I kindly ask you to stop this undeserved hostility towards me.

I'm here to learn.

There are several reasons I'm not a believer in god. First, there's no evidence a god exists. But to answer your question regarding Christianity specifically......

I find Christianity to be one of the most vile religions ever invented by humans. The entire premise is based on people being born a sinner. When a baby it born it's marked from the get-go with the sin stain and that child has it pounded into their little brains that they're a horrible person, a miserable sinner and doomed. Then when they're finally convinced that, yes, they are indeed a dreadful sinner, an antidote is dangled in front of them. If they don't accept the antidote they're condemned to spend eternity in a cement box in the East River with the fishes. So they have only one choice....it's a choice they can't refuse. The whole operation is a form of extortion.

There's also the Stockholm Syndrome aspect of this religion in which love and threats are coming from the same source. It's disgusting. So I'm an atheist for those two reasons but there many, many more I could add.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-05-2017, 11:42 PM
(06-05-2017 08:40 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 08:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was serious when I asked why you were not a Buddhist. Please answer.

Because anything and everything outside of Christianity that is in any way spiritual, I consider to be the work of the devil. Classic Christian doctrine. At least I think.

Because anything and everything inside and outside of christianity that you consider spiritual, I consider a stupid idea, a lie, or a delusional mental illness, and none of it is ever provided with evidence that can suggest otherwise.... Classic reality check. Just sayin.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin