Why the hell are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 05:36 AM
RE: Why the hell are you an atheist?
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why the hell are you an atheist?

Why the hell do you believe in things which can't be defined? (What is a god? What is a soul?)
Why the hell do you believe in things for which there is no physical evidence and which cannot be observed under lab conditions?
Why the hell do you believe in a 2000 year old book that contradicts science which has proven itself by creating the modern world?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Mathilda's post
07-05-2017, 05:43 AM

For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.

Number two, I'm honestly very curious as to what led you to atheism. I'm a beginner in this sort of thing and although I still am a Christian, I'm still researching the truth. I am on the side of truth. If Jesus and God are debunked, I will surely move to atheism myself.

Thanks.
You're not welcome.

You have started another alleged "research" thread without engaging at all on your other one.

If you had actually participated in that thread, much less read it, you would have the answer to THIS question already.

Atheists don't think Christianity is "too hard", they don't see truth in it. This is what you people can never accept, that your beliefs are false, because you're invested in, as you put it, being "on the side of truth". Usually with a capital T. No, it must be that atheists are lazy, or angry, or ignorant, or all three. It couldn't possibly be that religious faith is a failed epistemology that doesn't lead one towards reality, but away from it.

Quit trolling for Jesus.
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
07-05-2017, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 05:59 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(06-05-2017 07:56 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  ... it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people.

It should be obvious, then, that something drove atheists away from Christianity other than its level of difficulty.

Actually you don't even have to really love God and your neighbors to be a Christian, you just have to believe you should. Isn't that the way it works? If you believe, you get into heaven regardless?

By the way, that should be a huge red flag all by itself. What do you think the dollar value would be for an eternally pleasant afterlife? And your religion sells it to you for the price of mere belief? That itself is unbelievable.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
07-05-2017, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 05:55 AM by Vera.)
(06-05-2017 09:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This reminds me of an argument I had with my nephew back in the 1980s. You may be too young to remember these people, but he was really upset one year because Bonnie Raitt beat out Paula Abdul for a Grammy award, and damn it, Paula Abdul was prettier! Never mind that Bonnie Raitt was 10 times the musician that Paul Abdul was. Of course, he also thought Motley Crue were better than the Beatles because they were louder. He has since matured.

I like Bonnie Raitt better (visually speaking).

He just speaks about how he felt as a not-especially attractive woman, when they made him as up as Tootsie. He gets a little bit choked up at one moment. I thought it was rather sweet.

And it really is fascinating just how much we are affected by the way people look (and I don't mean only when it comes to physical attraction). Beauty must be some evolutionary remnant and a rather strong one. The very great and lovely Ted Chiang has a story about this, actually (believe it or not, he refused an award for it, as he felt it was rushed. Not sure how it would have been different, but I love it the way it is, too). It’s about beauty and how it colours the way we think of others and a society where people can choose whether to turn off the ability to perceive beauty in people as such, as it were. A fascinating thought experiment (all his stories are).

Wow, how much do you have to suck if you've managed to annoy Girly, of all people? If 'twere me, I'd go hide in a cave and slowly die of mortification.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-05-2017, 06:02 AM
(07-05-2017 05:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  And it really is fascinating just how much we are affected by the way people look (and I don't mean only when it comes to physical attraction). Beauty must be some evolutionary remnant and a rather strong one.

Appearances are just built-in perceptual shortcuts we use as a defaults to economize brain-usage.
07-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Never been anything else. I'm the natural state of humans.
Quote:For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.
I've never met a Christian then.
Quote:Number two, I'm honestly very curious as to what led you to atheism.

I wasn't programmed into believing anything like a belief in a god or gods.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
07-05-2017, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 03:52 PM by unfogged.)

For one, it's not that hard to be a devoted Christian. The two great commandments of Christianity is to love God and love your neighbors. It's not that hard, people. Seriously.

Number two, I'm honestly very curious as to what led you to atheism. I'm a beginner in this sort of thing and although I still am a Christian, I'm still researching the truth. I am on the side of truth. If Jesus and God are debunked, I will surely move to atheism myself.

Thanks.

Before this I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and thought you might actually be asking to learn. If you are going to troll you need to learn how to be less obvious about it.

(06-05-2017 08:40 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Because anything and everything outside of Christianity that is in any way spiritual, I consider to be the work of the devil. Classic Christian doctrine. At least I think.

Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Thanks.

Being a Christian would be impossible for me. That's because I know it is completely and totally false, Zombie. I'm way to honest to ignore that fact that it isn't true. So there's no choice for me easy or otherwise.

Jesus and God are debunked. That's because they were never bunked. It is not even debatable. To even debate the issue commits the fallacy of the stolen concept. Therefore it can not be true. Period. End of story.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
07-05-2017, 07:59 AM
God wills it, pleb. Who are you to question the will of god?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-05-2017, 08:03 AM
(07-05-2017 06:41 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Thanks.

Before this I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and thought you might actually be asking to learn. If you are going to troll you need to learn how to be less obvious about it.

(06-05-2017 08:40 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  [quote='Dom' pid='1181936' dateline='1494124592']
Because anything and everything outside of Christianity that is in any way spiritual, I consider to be the work of the devil. Classic Christian doctrine. At least I think.

Facepalm

A horned red spirit monster who lives in the underworld fucked with all the world's religions before Christianity just to piss off a magic sky genie and screw with his creations? Seems legit Tongue
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post