Why the hell is William Lane Craig considered the best Christian Apologist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: Why the hell is William Lane Craig considered the best Christian Apologist?
(02-09-2014 02:45 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  His best tactic as I see it, is his obfuscating language in his version of the Cosmological Argument.

It's still fallacious, but fools his followers

A lot of those followers don't need to be fooled; they're looking to be told what they want to hear. He barely has to pick his feet up off the ground to clear the bar they've set for him.

Back when I was in highschool (and still Christian), I remembered hearing an argument from a Christian (to a largely 8th-grade educated group of Amish) that embarrassed me. He said something to the effect of "A human and a chimp have 97% of the same DNA*. A watermelon is made of 97% water and a cloud is 100% water. Are you saying that a watermelon missed being a cloud by three percent?"

Even as a Christian, I was shocked at how stupid that argument was. If you complain about evolution to people who don't understand it, you don't have to try very hard. They already hate it and they'll agree with pretty much any complaints you levy.

*I thought it was actually much higher.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
(04-09-2014 08:02 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 02:45 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  His best tactic as I see it, is his obfuscating language in his version of the Cosmological Argument.

It's still fallacious, but fools his followers

A lot of those followers don't need to be fooled; they're looking to be told what they want to hear. He barely has to pick his feet up off the ground to clear the bar they've set for him.

Back when I was in highschool (and still Christian), I remembered hearing an argument from a Christian (to a largely 8th-grade educated group of Amish) that embarrassed me. He said something to the effect of "A human and a chimp have 97% of the same DNA*. A watermelon is made of 97% water and a cloud is 100% water. Are you saying that a watermelon missed being a cloud by three percent?"

Even as a Christian, I was shocked at how stupid that argument was. If you complain about evolution to people who don't understand it, you don't have to try very hard. They already hate it and they'll agree with pretty much any complaints you levy.

*I thought it was actually much higher.

Aren't humans like 70% water?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Something like that.
05-09-2014, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 01:40 AM by Dark Phoenix.)
(03-09-2014 07:11 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I don't want to believe it, but I have no choice. I cannot refute Sye Ten's arguments.

No problem. I can.

The core of presuppostionalism is the questioning of foundational beliefs as valid. They issue challenges for their opponents to give reasons demonstrating the validity of properly basic beliefs such as that the rules of logic are valid, and our sense are reliable. When their opponents cannot do this without reasoning in a circle, in other words providing reasons for reason, they present their own justification, their god. They posit that foundational beliefs can only be assumed true because god.

The death blow to this feeble argument is in not being tricked by its dishonest deployment. The challenge issued by the presuppositionalist is IMPOSSIBLE and they already know it. They cannot do it either.

In order to posit their deity as the catalyst for the validity of foundational beliefs, they have already assumed those beliefs are valid independent from their god concept, and are already engaged in reason. They are arguing in a circle, attempting to give reasons for the validity of reason not yet established.

My response to this argument is, put up or shut up. If you can't give an accounting of your reasoning either, which you are using to posit many details and characteristics of your god, and you still expect someone else to do it, you are engaged in hypocrisy.

If you still have a problem with foundational beliefs, such as you still believe they require justification, I invite you to live your life without assuming them. What are you going to do now? You can't reason any more, trust your senses, believe in reality, or even in your own existence. I suppose you just sit and wait to die of starvation.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
(03-09-2014 09:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 07:11 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I don't want to believe it, but I have no choice. I cannot refute Sye Ten's arguments.

But you already did

I did not. I did this:
[Image: 8Nx9Qco.png]
Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
06-09-2014, 05:40 PM
(06-09-2014 05:13 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 09:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  But you already did

I did not. I did this:
Drinking Beverage

You realise that destroys your argument far worse than it does ours right?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-09-2014, 08:12 PM
(06-09-2014 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 05:13 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I did not. I did this:
Drinking Beverage

You realise that destroys your argument far worse than it does ours right?

I have already explained to him that anyone who believes in the brain in the jar cannot possibly believe in god at the same time.

The brain in the jar is a nihilist argument, not a Christian one. But did he listen? Nooooo.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
06-09-2014, 10:47 PM
He's a joke without a punchline. Sad, poorly formed, and of no use or value.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
06-09-2014, 10:58 PM
(06-09-2014 08:12 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You realise that destroys your argument far worse than it does ours right?

I have already explained to him that anyone who believes in the brain in the jar cannot possibly believe in god at the same time.

The brain in the jar is a nihilist argument, not a Christian one. But did he listen? Nooooo.

That's cause Diddo97 isn't here for debate or insight, he's just a boring attention whore. Drinking Beverage

[Image: attention3.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-09-2014, 03:18 AM
http://youtu.be/pA5PlJiqOnk
God doesn't solve any problem that Sye gives us. He only shifts it backwards.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
[+] 1 user Likes spinosauruskin's post