Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
Why do people have these misconceptions of libertarianism?

- Not all of us believe in atomism. Collective ends are as important as individual ones.
- Not all of us are borderline sociopaths. We simply feel that human freedom is key to life fulfillment.
- We're not all pot smokers or drug users. I think (as a subjective ideal) that drugs are for losers, but drug use is not really related to political belief. As a libertarian, I believe that ALL drugs should be legal.

So, can't people learn/research more, before making abnormal presumptions? Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes namiloveyou's post
24-12-2012, 09:10 PM
RE: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
I get called genocidal, fascist, racist, sexist, nationalist, hippie, utopian, corporatist in a day.
24-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Liberals and conservatives both like to take your rights, they just can't agree on which ones.
24-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Question RE: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
Hello,

1. Can you post a textbook definition of "Libertarianism".
2. as well as post your interpretation of that definition.

You say "not all of us are X, X, and X" which implies the definition includes those attributes, but isn't necessary.

I know how I understand Libertarianism by the rhetoric of people who call themselves Libertarian, but I'd like to address what you think it means.

For example, Atheism has a very simplistic textbook definition, but many people add additional attributes which could be separate from Atheism. And so it wouldn't be fair or accurate to label all Atheists with the beliefs of those other Atheists, who added additional attributes.
24-12-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.lp.org/introduction/what-is-t...rian-party
25-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Because, in my experience, many who claim to be "libertarian" are actually anarcho-capitalists. I am always skeptical when it comes to the label.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
25-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I like libertarians. They use their intellect (or claim to) and therefore must consider what I say and respond. And in return, Libertarians changed or defined many of my opinions, on minimal salary, import regulations and freezing the housing rents... Basically, it seems to be a combination of upholding the law and personal freedom. But as any other ideology, it is not complete. I like to meet people who think their ideology is complete and to challenge the boundaries of their worldview.

- What about the rights of Earth, nature, biosphere, ecosystems, biodiversity, natural resources and so on? The rights of Earth seem to be the latest evolution of human rights.
If everyone deserves a fair price for their goods/services, what price do we owe the nature? Mind you, a cheap, competitive farming costs 1000 dollars per acre and year and it also depletes the soil. It turns vast areas in China into desert, with sand storms that can be observed all the way to north America. A proper, fair method of farming that is beneficial to the soil costs 5000 dollars per acre/year.
Where are all these hidden costs that we pay for with the ecosystem, health and future generations? Money are not a real representation of value.

I like the quote, "Capitalism without bankrupcy is like religion without hell. It can not work." Very well, but what happens in meantime? How do the people end up? I don't know about any safety net for businessmen honorably defeated in the economic competition. Furthermore, I think Bastiat or Hazlitt says that new inventions throw people out of work only temporarily, then they actually increase employment by new development. But IIRC, he writes there that in some cases, like with British textile workers, this temporary loss of job sent them into poverty for freakin' 40 years!
If there's not even a temporary safety net, where's a permanent one, for the old people?

Anyway, Libertarianism seems to me like a very useful instrument, a cost-benefit analysis in whatever we do. Which is wonderful - but it also does not solve all the problems we have and it shouldn't. It solves mostly the artificial problems created by the big government regulations, nothing more, nothing less. Which is a huge problem in America, apparently. I recommend a video by John Stossel, "Is there anything government can't do?"

25-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Re: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
Why do you act if it's a trend leaning toward libertarians? It's the same for every group that's unknown to a majority.

There isn't one group of libertarian ideas. I've known many that weren't great fans if the party. There's also ones proud of extremism like Penn Jilete.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
25-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Who here like cake?
25-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I like cake. Big Grin

[Image: Spiderman+cake+3031+with+background.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post