Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
I've heard the old joke that if you could convince the pro-drug people that the pro-gun people are okay, and the pro-gun people that the pro-drug people are okay, everyone would be a libertarian! That's probably very true!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 08:36 PM
I love being libertarian. And here's why.

I can somewhat agree with republicans and democrats. And the things we disagree on, we agree to disagree. A republican or a democrat has no argument against a libertarian, because libertarians are for the better peace.

Yes, I do believe that drugs should be legal. No, I don't do drugs and wouldn't even if they were. I'm disliking the amount of prisoners in jail due to minor drug offenses; the most popular sentence there is. And all they did was smoke a little weed, like the president of our very own nation.

And if Obama would have been caught, he would be in jail with the rest of them, and not our president. But instead, he allows his own kind to be thrown into prison without any guilt.

Better to be hungry and free than fed and in chains.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2013, 12:16 AM
(15-01-2013 08:36 PM)Kaloste Wrote:  I love being libertarian. And here's why.

I can somewhat agree with republicans and democrats. And the things we disagree on, we agree to disagree. A republican or a democrat has no argument against a libertarian, because libertarians are for the better peace.

Yes, I do believe that drugs should be legal. No, I don't do drugs and wouldn't even if they were. I'm disliking the amount of prisoners in jail due to minor drug offenses; the most popular sentence there is. And all they did was smoke a little weed, like the president of our very own nation.

And if Obama would have been caught, he would be in jail with the rest of them, and not our president. But instead, he allows his own kind to be thrown into prison without any guilt.
Libertarians are not "pro legalization". Libertarians want to leave it to the states - who can ban or legalize. Which way they go is of no concern to them. If states want to reinstate racial segregation, a Libertarian has no issue with it.
16-01-2013, 09:39 AM
(16-01-2013 12:16 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Libertarians are not "pro legalization". Libertarians want to leave it to the states - who can ban or legalize. Which way they go is of no concern to them. If states want to reinstate racial segregation, a Libertarian has no issue with it.

Libertarians are not pro or anti, really, any specific issue (like guns and drugs); nor do they think it should just be left to states, necessarily, even in America.

Libertarians are just the assholes that say they don't want to participate, because you told them they were going to (or had to) participate: They are the asshole kids that ran around dirty as shit, not because they had no running water or soap, but because their mothers told them they had to be clean. The same type of asshole that only listens to music until other people find out about it. The same type of asshole that tells you that they are an alcoholic and/or that their lives are fucked up because they choose to be an alcoholic with a fucked up life.

The only tie or key phrase in libertarianism is 'voluntary association'; everything is associated to, and falls off of, that. They are against anything that requires them, or really makes them feel like they are required, to be involved or associated with that thing.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
16-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I thought I was on board with libertarinism until I read Penn Jillette's book "God No!" I like Penn but I couldn't have disagreed more with pretty much everything he was saying politically. It just seemed like such arbitrary reasons for wanting A but not B and so on and so forth. Also, the notion of decreasing the size of the federal government to give power back to the states is not one of small government, it is just one of big state government instead of big federal government.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
17-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Re: RE: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?
(16-01-2013 09:39 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 12:16 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Libertarians are not "pro legalization". Libertarians want to leave it to the states - who can ban or legalize. Which way they go is of no concern to them. If states want to reinstate racial segregation, a Libertarian has no issue with it.

Libertarians are not pro or anti, really, any specific issue (like guns and drugs); nor do they think it should just be left to states, necessarily, even in America.

Libertarians are just the assholes that say they don't want to participate, because you told them they were going to (or had to) participate: They are the asshole kids that ran around dirty as shit, not because they had no running water or soap, but because their mothers told them they had to be clean. The same type of asshole that only listens to music until other people find out about it. The same type of asshole that tells you that they are an alcoholic and/or that their lives are fucked up because they choose to be an alcoholic with a fucked up life.

The only tie or key phrase in libertarianism is 'voluntary association'; everything is associated to, and falls off of, that. They are against anything that requires them, or really makes them feel like they are required, to be involved or associated with that thing.

Probably the worst response soo far.
17-01-2013, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 06:54 PM by TrulyX.)
(17-01-2013 05:59 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 09:39 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  Libertarians are not pro or anti, really, any specific issue (like guns and drugs); nor do they think it should just be left to states, necessarily, even in America.

Probably the worst response soo far.

Why? Because you're a libertarian, and I called you an asshole? You'll get over it.

All joking aside, everything I said, minus the joking, was sort of true.

People mentioning things like issues being left to the states (which would obviously only apply to a union made up of several states) and throwing in pro or anti specific issues, would be analogous to someone boxing in atheists as relativists, overly empirical, scientists, or similar misconceptions-- it's throwing in people's personal views, plus other ideas, that aren't representative of what the word is meant to imply.

So, minus being "dirty kids", if something I said is a misconception or wrong, give your view on it. That way I can know what you are disagreeing with and why you are disagreeing with it.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
17-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Re: RE: Why the misconceptions of libertarianism?

Your response was terrible. You likened them to 1: socialy introverted children who wont join the game2: underground music hipsters and 3: drunks.

A actual Libertarian would have a problem with government over reaching it's scope no matter what level of government is doing it.
23-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Thank you for this. I hope you don't mind if I file it away for later use as a textbook example of an ad hominem logical fallacy.

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
23-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm a libertarian.

But I disagree with most modern libertarian movements because they aren't really libertarians, so much as anarcho-capitalists who are more concerned with eliminating taxation (and thus government) than they are with actually increasing personal liberty.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.