Why the world is not perfect.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2014, 06:17 PM
RE: Why the world is not perfect.
The meme of "perfect" is what causes not just religious people to fight for something but political parties as well. In his opening of "The Greatest Show On Earth" Dawkins places blame on Plato for all modern utopia seeking. Plato postulated the idea of "essence" in that if you simply thought about something long enough you could find that "essence". Plato's flaw is that was that he had no modern structure of testing or falsification like modern scientific method does. Unfortunately for humanity it had a huge influence on what humanity thought good logic constituted, which infected both religion and politics.

Plato was my hero until I read that. I liked his idea of questioning, but questioning by itself is not enough, you have to have testing and control groups and peer review to insure accurate data outcome.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Depends who's defining "perfect", and what the standards are.
Each of us has our own definition of what "perfect" means, so it's a pointless exercise.

As Girly referenced, the last line (or so, as I recall) in Candide, is "Il faut cultiver nos jardins".

That's the only answer that makes sense to me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2014, 07:38 PM
The human appendix

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
26-08-2014, 07:41 PM
(22-08-2014 08:35 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Hughsie.

I think you're getting confused, this thread is about imperfection, not perfection. Rolleyes

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
26-08-2014, 07:43 PM
(26-08-2014 07:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 08:35 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Hughsie.

I think you're getting confused, this thread is about imperfection, not perfection. Rolleyes

Tim, you're dumb as shit. Rolleyes
26-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Sharting - (half fart/half shit for those of you that are ESL)
Jelly fish
Clostridium difficile
Hymens

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
26-08-2014, 09:00 PM
(21-08-2014 03:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 02:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's theologically retarded.

No where in the Bible does it state that God created anything "perfect"... in fact, quite the opposite, as God is the only bearer of perfection.

I know you're sincere in what you say about Christians saying that God created "perfection", it's just frustrating that the vast majority of Christians don't know WTF the Bible says or how to read/interpret what it says.

Sorry. Carry on. Rant over.

I will never understand how Yahweh could have fucked up on his book so badly.
If the thing is that damn important, it really shouldn't need interpretation and word twisting to make sense.

Plus there is a very long standing tradition that christians not read their holy books, why change it now?

Tablets of stone? Top of a mountain? Maybe bad weather? Dunno....
Possible drinking or inflated ego involved.

Hard to say what God was up to at that moment.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-08-2014, 09:13 PM
(22-08-2014 11:52 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The increasing tug of entropy.
The center cannot hold.

#sigh
26-08-2014, 09:17 PM
(26-08-2014 07:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 07:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think you're getting confused, this thread is about imperfection, not perfection. Rolleyes

Tim, you're dumb as shit. Rolleyes

LMAO

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-08-2014, 11:33 PM
(26-08-2014 07:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Depends who's defining "perfect", and what the standards are.
Each of us has our own definition of what "perfect" means, so it's a pointless exercise.

Nah, I've never been able to pin down perfect. To me it's like nothing or infinity. No sense in trying to define what i can't conceive, so I'll just concentrate on bettering my reality.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco