Why there aren't more female atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 03:11 PM
RE: Why there aren't more female atheists...
(29-07-2013 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 03:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That dude is a female??

I think the jury is still out...on everything about absols except for being hard to understand.

No kidding! Just scroll passed the rubbish, not worth putting them on ignore.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-07-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 03:18 PM by ridethespiral.)
(29-07-2013 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hmmn... A thread where we generalize about women... Bechased

Big Grin

Yeah, there's a bunch of sexist bullshit, there's the generalization that women avoid confrontation, and then science. Sure, Dom, ya don't hafta "be into science" to be an atheist, but if one is into science, seems to generally follow that one will be less into supernatural thinking.

But speaking of science, there is no science here. This yammering on the Internet, it's still new, it's still a kinda geeky, kinda guy thing. So...

What it comes down to, is RTS trying to stir up shit. Tongue

RTS just read that article and thought the author was seeing the issue from inside of a middle/upperclass feminist bubble and failing to see the larger picture and wanted to share his thoughts on the subject and see what the general consensus from the TTA ladies is. RTS interested in the topic and is actually genuinely concerned about the absence of female Atheists because it's hard to make/raise little Atheists without them. RTS has been quietly reading responses and doesn't think that he was too far off the mark or disrespectful in his post, although clearly there is a variety of opinion on the issue. RTS was half expecting to be lynched for calling women 'more susceptible to woo and appeals to emotion' but he is glad that we could discuss it without tying any knots.

...and maybe RTS is also waiting for someone else to step into the cougars den and get torn to pieces for his amusement. Big Grin

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
29-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Being female myself, I think there is some correlation between raising children and religion. A lot of mothers are fearful their children will grow up to be killers and think religion will steer them in the right direction. (Nevermind that many killers are religious.) Atheism was just never a thing for me. It was just the way life was/is.

I was never interested in science until recently. Now I'm making up for lost time. What's odder is that I was a dancer and most dancers I know are rather spiritual, poetic types. Some are out-right religious.

But mostly it was not being raised with any kind of religion. That was something the neighbor kids did. I'd watch them pile in the station wagon while I stood and wondered why the hell anyone in their right mind would go and sit in a dark gloomy candle lit room on a perfectly good Sunday. Especially when a kid could be outside playing with the family dog and rolling in the grass. I still don't get it.

I know many women who are atheists but they just don't get involved. Got a lot of other things going on I guess.

Well guys, gotta go and do a load of laundry. Latters.......Big Grin

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
29-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Okay RTS...I don't think that women in general feel the need to get up, proclaim what they are fighting for, and then take all comers.

I think many women atheists just don't want to be hounded by the God-squad.

I like science...I am far from an expert. I used science to figure out the BS that is the Noah story when I was a kid. I just didn't know I was using science. I knew enough about farms, and farm animals, and watched enough nature shows with dad to know that the whole thing wouldn't work. It was a story.

There is nothing in my life that makes me feel the need to an activist for Atheism, but I no longer bow my head and pretend to pray because it's expected.

As for woo....I love a damn good vampire story, hell I like a trashy vampire story...(but not Twilight - that's just stupid)- - but I certainly don't go wandering off behind each new thing that comes along claiming special powers so you can get what you want without effort (only cash).

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-07-2013, 03:24 PM
(29-07-2013 02:43 PM)Dom Wrote:  What's a T&A thread?

(29-07-2013 02:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it's tits and ass. Like the Rolling Stones song Little T&A?

Yes.

... this is my signature!
29-07-2013, 03:28 PM
(29-07-2013 03:11 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hmmn... A thread where we generalize about women... Bechased

Big Grin

Yeah, there's a bunch of sexist bullshit, there's the generalization that women avoid confrontation, and then science. Sure, Dom, ya don't hafta "be into science" to be an atheist, but if one is into science, seems to generally follow that one will be less into supernatural thinking.

But speaking of science, there is no science here. This yammering on the Internet, it's still new, it's still a kinda geeky, kinda guy thing. So...

RTS just read that article and thought the author was seeing the issue from inside of a middle/upperclass feminist bubble and failing to see the larger picture and wanted to share his thoughts on the subject and see what the general consensus from the TTA ladies is. RTS interested in the topic and is actually genuinely concerned about the absence of female Atheists because it's hard to make/raise little Atheists without them. RTS has been quietly reading responses and doesn't think that he was too far off the mark or disrespectful in his post, although clearly there is a variety of opinion on the issue. RTS was half expecting to be lynched for calling women 'more susceptible to woo and appeals to emotion' but he is glad that we could discuss it without tying any knots.

...and maybe RTS is also waiting for someone else to step into the cougars den and get torn to pieces for his amusement. Big Grin

Peanut likes when she finds another who speaks in the third person Cool

I like when people post "controversial stuff." I don't think this is too far out there in that cougar den and I think it's because you don't come off as a douchebag that wants to talk shit about women in general. (But I don't know you well, so I could be wrong.) It gets great discussions going.

Also, my lil' atheist is making this mama proud. I talk about him all the time. I'm working on encouraging him to think for himself, but logically at the same time.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
29-07-2013, 03:31 PM
(29-07-2013 03:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well guys, gotta go and do a load of laundry.

If that's an oblique reference to the historically disparate assignment of domesticity then I shall point out that I too just started a load.
Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
29-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Big Grin

Yep, there are many roads to atheism and one of them is science. As far as the internet being a geeky guy thing - nope. There are a zillion women online. They just don't hang here, this place is not relevant to their lives.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-07-2013, 04:02 PM
(29-07-2013 03:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, there are many roads to atheism and one of them is science. As far as the internet being a geeky guy thing - nope. There are a zillion women online. They just don't hang here, this place is not relevant to their lives.

Hey! My generalizations are always correct. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 04:14 PM
(29-07-2013 03:28 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 03:11 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  RTS just read that article and thought the author was seeing the issue from inside of a middle/upperclass feminist bubble and failing to see the larger picture and wanted to share his thoughts on the subject and see what the general consensus from the TTA ladies is. RTS interested in the topic and is actually genuinely concerned about the absence of female Atheists because it's hard to make/raise little Atheists without them. RTS has been quietly reading responses and doesn't think that he was too far off the mark or disrespectful in his post, although clearly there is a variety of opinion on the issue. RTS was half expecting to be lynched for calling women 'more susceptible to woo and appeals to emotion' but he is glad that we could discuss it without tying any knots.

Peanut likes when she finds another who speaks in the third person Cool

I have a friend who speaks and writes in the third person all the time.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post