Why there aren't more female atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 04:15 PM
RE: Why there aren't more female atheists...
(29-07-2013 04:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 03:28 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Peanut likes when she finds another who speaks in the third person Cool

I have a friend who speaks and writes in the third person all the time.

Chas wouldn't dream of doing that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-07-2013, 04:18 PM
(29-07-2013 12:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  Firstly, I am tired of people thinking one has to be into science to be an atheist. I am not particularly "into" science. None of my few atheist friends are. Just because you don't believe crap doesn't mean that you have to be a scientist. All you need is some common sense.

I have been an atheist for 50 years and this is the first atheist place I have ever made an appearance on. Why? Because there was no reason to.

I felt no need to discuss religion or science. I felt no need for a community. I was busy with other stuff.

I finally did come here because something happened that had religious people drive me bonkers and I came here to vent.

Perhaps women are a bit busier with their own lives? As care taker, your work is never done. All you do is jump from one task to the next. As business woman, you have to work twice as hard as men to gain recognition and get ahead.

And maybe places like TTA don't have all that much to offer to women. It's pretty much a boy's club here, lots of name calling and 4 letter words and attacking each other and threads about cameltoes and staring at breasts and and, and, and. It ain't no place for a lady!

Personally, I have worked as sole women among men most of my life and I am used to it. It doesn't bother me as long as I am treated with respect.

The thing is, a place that is composed of mostly men, and run by all men, is going to be male oriented and not particularly inviting to women.

That's actually true of me as well. I worked in the theatre for years surrounded by people who curse and swear, dressing rooms full of uninhibited people who were open about their sexuality and with a liberal view of the world. Nothing shocks me anymore. Cameltoes? Not a problem for me. Boobs, I shrug my shoulders. Most women would feel uneasy here. Not me.

What really brought me here was actually my youngest teenage daughter got involved with a boy whose parents were uber-religious and I hand never had any contact with real crazy religious people before.

I wonder....if there were a internet atheist forum that was just for women would it have a following? It would have to have a socially friendly angle to it. Perhaps one exists already but I've never come across one.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-07-2013, 04:32 PM
(29-07-2013 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have a friend who speaks and writes in the third person all the time.

Chas wouldn't dream of doing that. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
29-07-2013, 04:36 PM
(29-07-2013 04:32 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Chas wouldn't dream of doing that. Drinking Beverage

Gah!! I miss that show!!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

29-07-2013, 04:39 PM
(29-07-2013 04:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder....if there were a internet atheist forum that was just for women would it have a following? It would have to have a socially friendly angle to it. Perhaps one exists already but I've never come across one.

Atheism+ Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-07-2013, 04:40 PM
(29-07-2013 04:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:32 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  

Gah!! I miss that show!!

They really need to bring it back, there is enough here for another 9 seasons of awesome!

29-07-2013, 04:43 PM
(29-07-2013 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder....if there were a internet atheist forum that was just for women would it have a following? It would have to have a socially friendly angle to it. Perhaps one exists already but I've never come across one.

Atheism+ Evil_monster

Oh I don't care for that forum.

29-07-2013, 04:45 PM
(29-07-2013 04:40 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Gah!! I miss that show!!

They really need to bring it back, there is enough here for another 9 seasons of awesome!

I Heart their tweets!

29-07-2013, 05:09 PM
(29-07-2013 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Atheism+ Evil_monster

Never heard of that atheist forum but then I've been living under this.....

[Image: living_under_a_rock_by_lorainz-d3kh26b.jpg]

for quite some time. What can I say. It's home.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-07-2013, 05:12 PM
(29-07-2013 04:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder....if there were a internet atheist forum that was just for women would it have a following?

I think so. It would take a while to build it up but - yes, if it's done right and ranks properly in google, it could do well.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man