Why there aren't more female atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 05:37 PM
RE: Why there aren't more female atheists...
(29-07-2013 05:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Atheism+ Evil_monster

Never heard of that atheist forum but then I've been living under this.....

[Image: living_under_a_rock_by_lorainz-d3kh26b.jpg]

for quite some time. What can I say. It's home.

Its a great site....if you're a nutso feminist. Confused
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 05:41 PM
(29-07-2013 05:37 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 05:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Never heard of that atheist forum but then I've been living under this.....

That was my issue.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

29-07-2013, 06:17 PM
This whole thread..... Is very special.

There are atheist women everywhere. The three big religions tend to be antiwoman. Once they realize that they tend to become atheists/feminists.

Which is fine to me as long as their feminism stays towards the more moderate humanistic side.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-07-2013, 06:25 PM
(29-07-2013 05:37 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 05:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Never heard of that atheist forum but then I've been living under this.....

Anyone go to some of the atheist Meetup groups? There are quite a few here in Oregon.

http://atheists.meetup.com/

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
29-07-2013, 06:58 PM

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 6 users Like fstratzero's post
29-07-2013, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 08:13 PM by ridethespiral.)
(29-07-2013 06:58 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  

That is probably the most refreshing thing I have seen all year. Who is that BTW?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 08:39 PM
(29-07-2013 08:00 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  

That is probably the most refreshing thing I have seen all year. Who is that BTW?

http://www.youtube.com/user/icklenellierose

I think her first name is Emma.

-Baron d'Holbach-
29-07-2013, 09:31 PM

She nailed it. This what I feel about feminism and probably what many other women feel about it too.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-07-2013, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 12:15 AM by Juv.)
(29-07-2013 11:23 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  3) I think women are far more embracing of woo, ceremony and mysticism and far less likely to abandon or feel the need to abandon it. I see far more women falling prey to new age 'woo' then their male counterparts. I think women hold a higher reverence for the mystic and sacred, I think they consider the emotional aspect of life far more than men. *This is based solely on observation and maybe I'm ignorant to think so, so feel free to burry me in contrary data if I am wrong.
This is probably correct. Also, the article is ridiculous.

On a related note, have you noticed that "women's magazines" often have horoscopes and ads for psychics? "Men's magazines" seem to never have that.

Conspiracy against women? Alternet will likely say so.Rolleyes

Another example that comes to mind is the media around "THE SECRET" shows that women take that bullshit far more seriously then men.

It's obvious that women find spiritualism/religion/self-help/woo more appealing then men do, but many non-theists seem to feel bad about about observing this.
30-07-2013, 01:19 AM
(30-07-2013 12:11 AM)Juv Wrote:  This is probably correct. Also, the article is ridiculous.

On a related note, have you noticed that "women's magazines" often have horoscopes and ads for psychics? "Men's magazines" seem to never have that.

Conspiracy against women? Alternet will likely say so.Rolleyes

Another example that comes to mind is the media around "THE SECRET" shows that women take that bullshit far more seriously then men.

It's obvious that women find spiritualism/religion/self-help/woo more appealing then men do, but many non-theists seem to feel bad about about observing this.

Oh, I will have to disagree. I see men into horoscopes and psychics and the difference they have with other men who are not interested is the same some women have with men in general: they constantly worry whether they will have a family, whether that guy/girl will take them seriously, whether their relationship will last, whether their children will be healthy etc.

Women like to feel "safe" with their choices and have much more stress with everyday things than men. In my experience, I don't see women being more into mysticism than men. Psychics and horoscopes are not purely spiritualism. Their main aspect of interest is their alleged ability to explain things and offer a sense of safety.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-