Why there aren't more female atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 05:25 AM
RE: Why there aren't more female atheists...
(30-07-2013 12:11 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 11:23 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  3) I think women are far more embracing of woo, ceremony and mysticism and far less likely to abandon or feel the need to abandon it. I see far more women falling prey to new age 'woo' then their male counterparts. I think women hold a higher reverence for the mystic and sacred, I think they consider the emotional aspect of life far more than men. *This is based solely on observation and maybe I'm ignorant to think so, so feel free to burry me in contrary data if I am wrong.
This is probably correct. Also, the article is ridiculous.

On a related note, have you noticed that "women's magazines" often have horoscopes and ads for psychics? "Men's magazines" seem to never have that.

Conspiracy against women? Alternet will likely say so.Rolleyes

Another example that comes to mind is the media around "THE SECRET" shows that women take that bullshit far more seriously then men.

It's obvious that women find spiritualism/religion/self-help/woo more appealing then men do, but many non-theists seem to feel bad about about observing this.

I know several women who read horoscopes and stuff and they don't really believe it at all, it is a source of amusement. Much like fortune cookies.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
30-07-2013, 06:53 AM
I haven't read the article yet but, as a woman, I feel I can add my 2 cents. I am not sure that more women than men embrace atheism.. I for one didn't embrace the TERM until just the last year or so....altho some 50 odd years ago as a teenager in the 60s I publically rejected organized religion.. not knowing that was the beginning of my freethinking journey. I was really never brought up in a religious household.. my parents made sure we went to church on special days.. easter and the like.. and I actually have very fond memories of getting sacks of candy after the christmas program...and dressing up in the easter outfit my mother sewed and walking to the park at sunrise for a service of song and prayer (which I immediately tuned out as I was in search of boys). But to say I was ATHEIST was way too harsh of a term. Historically ..for me.. it was a term filled with anger and arguments, politics and controversy and brought too much attention to me......good or bad... and I don't like to draw attention to myself. So maybe its that non believing women tend to refer to themselves in gentler more accepting term..altho their philosophy regarding religion vs non religious may be exactly the same.

like I said its JMHO
[+] 2 users Like donna's post
30-07-2013, 07:30 AM
(29-07-2013 06:58 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  

Love it! I am gonna have to borrow this, mate! Thanks! Big Grin

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
30-07-2013, 09:11 AM
We need someone to blame for the monthly bloody messes...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-07-2013, 03:20 PM
(30-07-2013 09:11 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  We need someone to blame for the monthly bloody messes...

That would be your parents. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 04:24 PM
(30-07-2013 03:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 09:11 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  We need someone to blame for the monthly bloody messes...

That would be your parents. Drinking Beverage

'DAAD MY UTERUS IS TRYING TO KILLLL ME'

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-07-2013, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 05:36 PM by mysterics.)
(29-07-2013 11:23 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  1) I think women tend to more family minded and thus fearful of being ostracized from the extended family. There can be all sorts of reasons for this like the need for an extended family to help raise children, but I think it is undeniable that women more vehemently maintain the family structure, and you can see in cultures/ethnicities where the extended family is very strong so is religion.

2) Science and math have a huge female deficit for whatever reason (I won't argue that our society doesn't/didn't push women toward the arts/humanities) Regardless of why, freethinkers are born in the wake of science understanding and less women in science = less Atheist women.

3) I think women are far more embracing of woo, ceremony and mysticism and far less likely to abandon or feel the need to abandon it. I see far more women falling prey to new age 'woo' then their male counterparts. Ancient religious beliefs and ceremonies are supposed to have been conceived by women (and then taken over by men once they realized there was power over others in it) after all. I think women hold a higher reverence for the mystic and sacred, I think they consider the emotional aspect of life far more than men. *This is based solely on observation and maybe I'm ignorant to think so, so feel free to burry me in contrary data if I am wrong.

I would argue that these are much the same phenomena; pressure to be a 'good Christian/Muslim/whatever housewife,' which pushes women into 'family duties' (conforming to their families' expectations), having less value in science and being more harshly dominated and controlled within religious belief systems.
Of course, this is opposed to women being more attracted to woo 'just because'.
30-07-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 07:38 PM by ridethespiral.)
(30-07-2013 05:30 PM)mysterics Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 11:23 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  1) I think women tend to more family minded and thus fearful of being ostracized from the extended family. There can be all sorts of reasons for this like the need for an extended family to help raise children, but I think it is undeniable that women more vehemently maintain the family structure, and you can see in cultures/ethnicities where the extended family is very strong so is religion.

2) Science and math have a huge female deficit for whatever reason (I won't argue that our society doesn't/didn't push women toward the arts/humanities) Regardless of why, freethinkers are born in the wake of science understanding and less women in science = less Atheist women.

3) I think women are far more embracing of woo, ceremony and mysticism and far less likely to abandon or feel the need to abandon it. I see far more women falling prey to new age 'woo' then their male counterparts. Ancient religious beliefs and ceremonies are supposed to have been conceived by women (and then taken over by men once they realized there was power over others in it) after all. I think women hold a higher reverence for the mystic and sacred, I think they consider the emotional aspect of life far more than men. *This is based solely on observation and maybe I'm ignorant to think so, so feel free to burry me in contrary data if I am wrong.

I would argue that these are much the same phenomena; pressure to be a 'good Christian/Muslim/whatever housewife,' which pushes women into 'family duties' (conforming to their families' expectations), having less value in science and being more harshly dominated and controlled within religious belief systems.
Of course, this is opposed to women being more attracted to woo 'just because'.

No doubt that there is some interplay between 1 and 3 and they reenforce each other but I still feel like there are two separate ideas there.

What I mean to get out in three is that women, to my observation, form an emotional bond with the religion and I postulate that they are less apt to question it and perhaps drawn to it because of it's emotional services.

Most widows or solitary older women I've known are/where deeply religious and they take great comfort from it (or at least pretend to). I had a great aunt that never married and was a live-in for a priest well into her 80's (although maybe it was a 'thorn birds' thing).

I feel like my mother enjoys ceremony greatly, she enjoyed sending us through all the sacraments and I think it gave her great emotional satisfaction. My fiancee, her mother and her sister colluded to baptize my child even though lady RTS never attends church. I think it's parental pride and a sense of motherly responsibility being channelled into religion but it seems to work for the church.

30-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't really think there are fewer female atheists. The fact that they don't believe in god doesn't define them, they have completely different interests and spend their time with them. I never called myself an atheist in all my life. I was active online for some 12 years before I came here. Atheism is just one small aspect of who I am. It just never occurred to me to seek out other atheists, until now.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-07-2013, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 07:53 PM by ridethespiral.)
(30-07-2013 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't really think there are fewer female atheists. The fact that they don't believe in god doesn't define them, they have completely different interests and spend their time with them. I never called myself an atheist in all my life. I was active online for some 12 years before I came here. Atheism is just one small aspect of who I am. It just never occurred to me to seek out other atheists, until now.

Quite possible. I feel a need to engage at the ideological level and seek that type of debate/knowledge as a sounding board/testing ground, my fiancee has no interest at all. Whenever I'm engaged in debate with another man about politics or religion the women around (usually at a party) are quick to mock the futility in the exercise and seem to only want to enter the debate if you manage to offend them in some way. I think maybe since women have children to shape and mold they probably don't feel such a need to sway the opinions of others....or maybe the futile debating is just a way in which men show off for the ladies or establish themselves as strong willed, like a couple of bucks. Then again I know a lady with a philosophy degree (she is kinda crazy though)...so I could be way off base.