Why there aren't more female atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Why there aren't more female atheists...
(30-07-2013 01:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 12:11 AM)Juv Wrote:  This is probably correct. Also, the article is ridiculous.

On a related note, have you noticed that "women's magazines" often have horoscopes and ads for psychics? "Men's magazines" seem to never have that.

Conspiracy against women? Alternet will likely say so.Rolleyes

Another example that comes to mind is the media around "THE SECRET" shows that women take that bullshit far more seriously then men.

It's obvious that women find spiritualism/religion/self-help/woo more appealing then men do, but many non-theists seem to feel bad about about observing this.

Oh, I will have to disagree. I see men into horoscopes and psychics and the difference they have with other men who are not interested is the same some women have with men in general: they constantly worry whether they will have a family, whether that guy/girl will take them seriously, whether their relationship will last, whether their children will be healthy etc.

Women like to feel "safe" with their choices and have much more stress with everyday things than men. In my experience, I don't see women being more into mysticism than men. Psychics and horoscopes are not purely spiritualism. Their main aspect of interest is their alleged ability to explain things and offer a sense of safety.
It sounds as though you're describing stereotypically effeminate men as being the ones who are interested in woo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 08:56 PM
(30-07-2013 05:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 12:11 AM)Juv Wrote:  This is probably correct. Also, the article is ridiculous.

On a related note, have you noticed that "women's magazines" often have horoscopes and ads for psychics? "Men's magazines" seem to never have that.

Conspiracy against women? Alternet will likely say so.Rolleyes

Another example that comes to mind is the media around "THE SECRET" shows that women take that bullshit far more seriously then men.

It's obvious that women find spiritualism/religion/self-help/woo more appealing then men do, but many non-theists seem to feel bad about about observing this.

I know several women who read horoscopes and stuff and they don't really believe it at all, it is a source of amusement. Much like fortune cookies.
Well, it's good that those women you know don't believe in astrology, but studies show that women are the bigger fans of astrology, (and woo in general.)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/19558/paranor...-some.aspx

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~slosh/Science&Pseudoscience.pdf
31-07-2013, 10:11 AM
(30-07-2013 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't really think there are fewer female atheists. The fact that they don't believe in god doesn't define them, they have completely different interests and spend their time with them. I never called myself an atheist in all my life. I was active online for some 12 years before I came here. Atheism is just one small aspect of who I am. It just never occurred to me to seek out other atheists, until now.

You describe many women, me included. Being an atheist wasn't a name I gave myself it was just like the color of my skin or eyes, it was just there and I never thought much about it. It wasn't until I had children and they were about six and eight years old that I gave any thought to religion and what effect not having religion in my life had on me and therefore my children.

I concluded that a non-religious household was just as valid as a religious one. As long as you love your children and teach them to treat everyone with decency you don't need religion.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
31-07-2013, 11:17 AM
(31-07-2013 10:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You describe many women, me included. Being an atheist wasn't a name I gave myself it was just like the color of my skin or eyes, it was just there and I never thought much about it. It wasn't until I had children and they were about six and eight years old that I gave any thought to religion and what effect not having religion in my life had on me and therefore my children.

I concluded that a non-religious household was just as valid as a religious one. As long as you love your children and teach them to treat everyone with decency you don't need religion.

I think action or inaction concerning religious-nonreligious inequality in the world depends almost entirely on one's own personal experiences and culture.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
31-07-2013, 12:41 PM
(31-07-2013 11:17 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I think action or inaction concerning religious-nonreligious inequality in the world depends almost entirely on one's own personal experiences and culture.

And one's personal experiences and culture, in turn, are incredibly predicated on the extensive gender-based socialization we all endure. So there's that.

... this is my signature!