Why ties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Why ties?
Whoever came up with the idea to tie colored nooses around Men's necks? Why did it take hold, and why are people doing it all over the world?

I saw a bunch of xmas ties yesterday, talk about ugly. But it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me that all these men are running around with pieces of cloth, shaped in a certain way, tied around their necks.

And then, while most men's clothing is really boring and drab, they make these pieces of cloth around their necks in all the colors of the rainbow and every conceivable pattern.

NUTS!

[Image: xmasties.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Why ties?
They make a good napkin.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-12-2012, 02:17 PM
RE: Why ties?
Blame Filox , the bastard!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
20-12-2012, 02:19 PM
(20-12-2012 02:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  Blame Filox , the bastard!

Quote: It is possible that cravats were initially worn to hide shirts which were not immaculately clean
Roflmao, that figures!

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-12-2012, 02:21 PM
(20-12-2012 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  
Quote:It is possible that cravats were initially worn to hide shirts which were not immaculately clean
Roflmao, that figures!
Yep, 'cause men are slobs who need their bibs even when they're all grown up Laughat

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
20-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I always figured that it was utility turned into fashion.

In the olden days, shirts usually had big wide open collars, big enough to fit over our heads, often without even any collars - more like an upside down sack with 3 holes in it, one for our head and two for our arms. Dirt and dust and rain and whatever else would just fall in there at any odd inconvenient time. Tough guys just sucked it up, but gentler folk started looking for ways to cover up that big neck hole area. Originally it was more like a scarf, wrapped around and around. Later it became a fashion rather than a function.

Cowboys used the idea to keep the dust of the range from getting in their shirts and chapping their hides. They usually went with just a simple cord for their collar (a bolo tie) and a bandanna lying loosely around their neck - bandits would lift this bandanna up as a mask to hide their faces but many non-bandit cowboys (and anyone else working out on dry, dusty ranges) still had the bandannas around their necks.

Look at old Renaissance gentlemen with the big poofy fluffy white tablecloths wrapped elegantly around their necks. Or the Elizabethans with their frilly collars cinched tightly around their throats. All fashion statements that evolved from keeping junk out of their shirts and then got fancy from there.

Today's neck tie in the rainbow colors is just a different fashion than its predecessors.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
20-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Well, it got to be a symbol. The white shirts wear ties, the blue shirts wear bandanas.

I think it's just silly and ugly. Having to tie the darn thing every morning to go to work... just nuts.

And why don't men wear some colors for a change? Other than the ties its all grey and white, black and white, not even brown is out there lol.

20-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I wanted to talk abot length and form of a tie and say useless things like "well, the longer the tie, the shorter the Johnny" but I think that Aseptic Skeptic's answer fits much better so let's go with that one for now Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I would like to ask an additional question...Why are there so damn many UGLY ties?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Cuz us guys got no fashion sense. And the ones who do usually aren't caught dead in ties anyway.

And my side theory, when a wife picks out a tie for her husband, she's deliberately dressing him ugly to scare off the distaff competition.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post