Why ties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 03:19 PM
RE: Why ties?
From my understanding, it is an ancient Pagan phallic symbol - or symbol of fertility.

If anyone could confirm or deny that, it'd be great.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I love ties. Guess I have about 60 or 70. I used to wear them a lot when I was working full time. Now they're mainly for special occasions.

A nice-fitting business suit, crisp shirt, well-tied tie, and pocket square make most guys look a lot better than they would otherwise.

As Oscar Wilde famously said, "A well-tied tie is the first serious step in life."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
20-12-2012, 05:03 PM
(20-12-2012 04:01 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I love ties. Guess I have about 60 or 70. I used to wear them a lot when I was working full time. Now they're mainly for special occasions.

A nice-fitting business suit, crisp shirt, well-tied tie, and pocket square make most guys look a lot better than they would otherwise.

As Oscar Wilde famously said, "A well-tied tie is the first serious step in life."

Bleh. I look somewhat decent in a suit and tie, but I refuse to wear them. I was forced to wear "my Sunday best" when I was dragged to church 3 days a week for 20 years, so I swore to myself that I'd avoid a suit and tie at all possible costs. I've lived up to that promise.

20-12-2012, 05:18 PM
(20-12-2012 03:19 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  From my understanding, it is an ancient Pagan phallic symbol - or symbol of fertility.

If anyone could confirm or deny that, it'd be great.

I deny it.

You're welcome. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-12-2012, 05:21 PM
(20-12-2012 04:01 PM)cufflink Wrote:  A nice-fitting business suit, crisp shirt, well-tied tie, and pocket square make most guys look a lot better than they would otherwise.

Mmm - I agree. I mostly like a casual guy but sharply dressed up once in a while is a nice treat, too. I like my eye candy. Wink

I do kind of wonder about color, though. Why only black or dk blue? Dodgy So boring!

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-12-2012, 05:47 PM
(20-12-2012 05:03 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 04:01 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I love ties. Guess I have about 60 or 70. I used to wear them a lot when I was working full time. Now they're mainly for special occasions.

Bleh. I look somewhat decent in a suit and tie, but I refuse to wear them. I was forced to wear "my Sunday best" when I was dragged to church 3 days a week for 20 years, so I swore to myself that I'd avoid a suit and tie at all possible costs. I've lived up to that promise.

Aw, c'mon! With David Draiman lip labrets along with a 3-piece pinstripe suit and a conservative tie, you'd throw people off balance big time! I'd love to see the reactions. Big Grin

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
20-12-2012, 06:02 PM
(20-12-2012 05:21 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 04:01 PM)cufflink Wrote:  A nice-fitting business suit, crisp shirt, well-tied tie, and pocket square make most guys look a lot better than they would otherwise.

Mmm - I agree. I mostly like a casual guy but sharply dressed up once in a while is a nice treat, too. I like my eye candy. Wink

I do kind of wonder about color, though. Why only black or dk blue? Dodgy So boring!
It's an image thing. Dark suits say "I'm solid and dependable." Rainbow colors say "I sell used cars and they probably don't work".

Different colors mean different things, even if it's only subliminal and subjective. If you're trying to be a solid, dependable, businessman then you colors that suggest such qualities. Since that's what 90+% of suits are used for, that's what the tailors tail. So when churchgoers look for a suit, they get what the tailors are tailing (and they can serve dual-purpose for churchgoing businessmen).

We tried leisure suits in the 70s. Colorful fabrics, flamboyant cuts. Nobody wore them to work. Nobody wanted their boss to look at them and think "that guys a show off, radical, undependable, goofy guy, I can't rely on him so I should replace him". So leisure suits were for leisure time and people wore them to clubs, on cruise ships, maybe gambling in Vegas, but they were costly and a little weird so the idea didn't catch on, much, and faded soon.

Off-color suits remind me of Boss Hogg, My Cousin Vinny, and Richard Kline's character in Three's Company as Larry the used care salesman. Funny guys in their own way, but I wouldn't want them to do my taxes.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-12-2012, 06:07 PM
(20-12-2012 05:21 PM)kim Wrote:  

Actually, Kim, there's more choice than that. True, the classic colors are navy blue and charcoal gray. (Black is still somewhat controversial; some old-guard types say it's only for tuxedos and the like.) But for less formal events, light gray and tan can be great, especially in the summer. And you do have the choice of solids or stripes, which come in many varieties.

If you're Tom Wolfe you can pull off stuff like this:

[Image: wolfe2.jpg]

[Image: 2007TomWolfe231.jpg]

[Image: 628x471.jpg]

But those outfits may be a bit much for the average mortal.

(Just in case anyone is wondering, Wolfe is completely straight.)

20-12-2012, 06:13 PM
No way I would trust that Wolfe guy to do my taxes.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-12-2012, 06:42 PM
(20-12-2012 05:47 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 05:03 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Bleh. I look somewhat decent in a suit and tie, but I refuse to wear them. I was forced to wear "my Sunday best" when I was dragged to church 3 days a week for 20 years, so I swore to myself that I'd avoid a suit and tie at all possible costs. I've lived up to that promise.

Aw, c'mon! With David Draiman lip labrets along with a 3-piece pinstripe suit and a conservative tie, you'd throw people off balance big time! I'd love to see the reactions. Big Grin
Consider