Why ties?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 07:21 PM
RE: Why ties?
(20-12-2012 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Whoever came up with the idea to tie colored nooses around Men's necks?

I can't wear 'em. Feels like I'm being strangled. Even if I wear a shirt with an 18" neck instead of my normal 16" still feels like I'm being strangled. Last time my work asked me to wear one (they can't compel me to) I showed up in this: [Image: SKull_StringTie_02_zpsfebf790a.jpg] with the medallion down near my sternum. They haven't asked me again. Evil_monster Something about that knot pressed close to my larynx causes a visceral reaction in me.

(20-12-2012 06:07 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 05:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Mmm - I agree. I mostly like a casual guy but sharply dressed up once in a while is a nice treat, too. I like my eye candy. Wink

I do kind of wonder about color, though. Why only black or dk blue? Dodgy So boring!

Actually, Kim, there's more choice than that. True, the classic colors are navy blue and charcoal gray. (Black is still somewhat controversial; some old-guard types say it's only for tuxedos and the like.) But for less formal events, light gray and tan can be great, especially in the summer. And you do have the choice of solids or stripes, which come in many varieties.

If you're Tom Wolfe you can pull off stuff like this:

[Image: wolfe2.jpg]

[Image: 2007TomWolfe231.jpg]

[Image: 628x471.jpg]

But those outfits may be a bit much for the average mortal.

(Just in case anyone is wondering, Wolfe is completely straight.)

must ... breathe ... gasp ... must ... breathe ... choke ... gag ...

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I'll wear that from my chin. Big Grin

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Found some compromises for you, GM:

[Image: il_fullxfull264790070.jpg]

[Image: skull-crossbones-novelty-tie-black-white..._image.jpg]

And I bet no one would mind if you wore 'em loose, without having to button your collar. Where there's a will . . . Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
20-12-2012, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 08:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-12-2012 07:48 PM)cufflink Wrote:  And I bet no one would mind if you wore 'em loose, without having to button your collar. Where there's a will . . . Smile

I can wear one like this, mufflink (hehehehe, why haven't I thought of that one before now).

[Image: obamatie_zpsf9443e97.jpg]

It's just that I can't really pull it off. Instead of looking Presidential or erudite or giving the illusion of working hard, I just look like a fat sloppy drunk at an Irish wake who lost his pants.

[Image: loosetie_zps2b2dbc17.jpg]

Note to self: Never ever google "loose ties images" ever again. ... Never ever ever ever again.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
20-12-2012, 09:28 PM
(20-12-2012 08:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I can wear one like this, mufflink (hehehehe, why haven't I thought of that one before now).

May I encourage you to lose that thought pronto? No

Quote:It's just that I can't really pull it off. Instead of looking Presidential or erudite or giving the illusion of working hard, I just look like a fat sloppy drunk at an Irish wake who lost his pants.

[Image: loosetie_zps2b2dbc17.jpg]

Hmm. Irish wake, eh? Where's the next one being held? Tongue

Quote:Note to self: Never ever google "loose ties images" ever again. ... Never ever ever ever again.

I see what you mean. My condolences. My first thought was to make a comment about "different strokes," but perhaps that wouldn't be the best idea.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
21-12-2012, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2012 12:43 AM by Janus.)
I was taught not to wear white dress shirts-and-tie before 6 PM, unless to a funeral, or if you're part of a wedding party, or otherwise wearing it as a functional costume/uniform. People overdress too easily.