Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
02-03-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(02-03-2015 12:22 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 11:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Lemme know if you need my help.

Not so much about the knowledge... more about exam technique.

Thumbsup

I don't really know what you mean by that, but thanks Big Grin With the way our contract works, just moving into a new year (from contract re-up) and all, I could theoretically avoid it for up to two years, but more than likely I think I will take it summer/autumn of this year.

Not it. Them.

The second level up has 9 exams. 5 of them earn you 3 points and 4 earn you 4 points.

No need to do them all. It depends on what you are aiming for.

The one you've done so far has earned you 2 points and it's kinda black/white 'do you know the jargon' stuff. The second level is a different league of difficulty...
8 questions. Scenario-based, application of the knowledge.

Each question is worth 5 marks (for best answer) or 3 or 1 mark(s) (for semi-OK answers) or zero (for the 'WTAF, you're a dipshit" answer).

Once you get 15 points or more at this Intermediate level, then you go for your 'Expert' exam... which is a whole other league of difficult.

I've seen some job adverts with decent salaries expecting you to have this Expert qualification e.g. Head of Operations for a multi-national bank (APAC) offering SG$ 230k ... nearly US$ 170k p/a.

The kinda job where you don't get to see your family much.

But I digress. If you want any advice about how to go about spotting the 5 point answers and avoiding the zeros ... lemme know.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
(02-03-2015 11:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 12:22 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't really know what you mean by that, but thanks Big Grin With the way our contract works, just moving into a new year (from contract re-up) and all, I could theoretically avoid it for up to two years, but more than likely I think I will take it summer/autumn of this year.

Not it. Them.

The second level up has 9 exams. 5 of them earn you 3 points and 4 earn you 4 points.

No need to do them all. It depends on what you are aiming for.

The one you've done so far has earned you 2 points and it's kinda black/white 'do you know the jargon' stuff. The second level is a different league of difficulty...
8 questions. Scenario-based, application of the knowledge.

Each question is worth 5 marks (for best answer) or 3 or 1 mark(s) (for semi-OK answers) or zero (for the 'WTAF, you're a dipshit" answer).

Once you get 15 points or more at this Intermediate level, then you go for your 'Expert' exam... which is a whole other league of difficult.

I've seen some job adverts with decent salaries expecting you to have this Expert qualification e.g. Head of Operations for a multi-national bank (APAC) offering SG$ 230k ... nearly US$ 170k p/a.

The kinda job where you don't get to see your family much.

But I digress. If you want any advice about how to go about spotting the 5 point answers and avoiding the zeros ... lemme know.

My goal is to be competitive or better as a Sys Admin, or Security Tier I or II in a year. Goring to intermediate probably doesn't help me much in that regard, but it can't hurt, and may even give me in edge in a competition, so it's still good. My former supervisor an current manager have both told me that Intermediate is easier than basic given the work that we perform on a regular basis. The thing I hate about ITIL is the terminology, which in my experience does not conform to standard industry jargon. If they changed the language I'd like ITIL a whole lot more.

02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
(02-03-2015 06:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
My goal is to be competitive or better as a Sys Admin, or Security Tier I or II in a year. Goring to intermediate probably doesn't help me much in that regard, but it can't hurt, and may even give me in edge in a competition, so it's still good. My former supervisor an current manager have both told me that Intermediate is easier than basic given the work that we perform on a regular basis. The thing I hate about ITIL is the terminology, which in my experience does not conform to standard industry jargon. If they changed the language I'd like ITIL a whole lot more.

I think they must be referring to the Operational exams rather than the Strategic ones in that case.

Yup the terminology takes a little getting used to but ... it is the standard industry jargon. Murika was slow to realise that the Brits and then the rest of world had beaten them to it but since a previous US Administration mandated the ETOM model for the telecomm industry, ITIL has become the industry recognised framework there via the back door.

COBIT (from the US) now uses the ITIL language and even IBM Consultants (I've noticed) have started using the term Priority instead of Severity when classifying Incidents.

But I agree that the language is not 'techie' language (it does not try to be) and there are some things not in ITIL that should be (RTO, RPO, roll-back, fall-back, back-out etc. and perhaps even CYA) by now.

The good news for Murikans is that -ize (rather than -ise) has become more common.

Big Grin

02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
(02-03-2015 07:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 06:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...

I think they must be referring to the Operational exams rather than the Strategic ones in that case.

Yup the terminology takes a little getting used to but ... it is the standard industry jargon. Murika was slow to realise that the Brits and then the rest of world had beaten them to it but since a previous US Administration mandated the ETOM model for the telecomm industry, ITIL has become the industry recognised framework there via the back door.

COBIT (from the US) now uses the ITIL language and even IBM Consultants (I've noticed) have started using the term Priority instead of Severity when classifying Incidents.

But I agree that the language is not 'techie' language (it does not try to be) and there are some things not in ITIL that should be (RTO, RPO, roll-back, fall-back, back-out etc. and perhaps even CYA) by now.

The good news for Murikans is that -ize (rather than -ise) has become more common.

Big Grin

When I say 'industry standard' language I mean the language used by technicians, the worker bees, what you refer to as 'techie talk'. It's the program managers and directors and so on that use language that causes communication barriers IMO. You're right that the Brits developed the system which is now accepted nearly worldwide and having an ITIL cert is more valuable than COBIT, though both are still valuable.

Although I gripe about the language because it makes it more daunting for technicians, my chief complaint is actually an unintended consequence which ITIL folks like yourself are well aware of. Stupid corporations, agencies, etc try to change their business to the 'ITIL way' rather than incorporate into their existing system which can have devastating results to their business and make it difficult and frustrating for their technicians. In the end it's the customer and ultimately the business that suffers. I heard the ITIL folks say over and over again say "This is best practice, not a process" which makes perfect sense to me, but I feel like 'the suits' did not understand this. I even found instances of SOPs sent to the board that blatantly called ITIL a process, which I changed before final submission. Sometimes the hardware and software that you've invested in does not conform to the "ITIL way" so you must adapt. Trying to force it to work without the hardware and software needed WILL result in inefficiency, full stop.

02-03-2015, 09:33 PM
(02-03-2015 09:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 07:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think they must be referring to the Operational exams rather than the Strategic ones in that case.

Big Grin

When I say 'industry standard' language I mean the language used by technicians, the worker bees, what you refer to as 'techie talk'. It's the program managers and directors and so on that use language that causes communication barriers IMO. You're right that the Brits developed the system which is now accepted nearly worldwide and having an ITIL cert is more valuable than COBIT, though both are still valuable.

Although I gripe about the language because it makes it more daunting for technicians, my chief complaint is actually an unintended consequence which ITIL folks like yourself are well aware of. Stupid corporations, agencies, etc try to change their business to the 'ITIL way' rather than incorporate into their existing system which can have devastating results to their business and make it difficult and frustrating for their technicians. In the end it's the customer and ultimately the business that suffers. I heard the ITIL folks say over and over again say "This is best practice, not a process" which makes perfect sense to me, but I feel like 'the suits' did not understand this. I even found instances of SOPs sent to the board that blatantly called ITIL a process, which I changed before final submission. Sometimes the hardware and software that you've invested in does not conform to the "ITIL way" so you must adapt. Trying to force it to work without the hardware and software needed WILL result in inefficiency, full stop.

We agree and...

change those 'suits'.

Big Grin

02-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Parents came over and we had a very nice visit. Had a late lunch overlooking the ocean, took mom shopping to our friend’s glass boutique and then just chatted and laughed. Yesterday was their 56th wedding anniversary and in a funny sort of way still complaining about the other one.

They met when he was 19 and she was 15. Sixty years together...shit, I’ve been with my wife 28 and I though that was a long time.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-03-2015, 10:52 PM
(02-03-2015 09:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Parents came over and we had a very nice visit. Had a late lunch overlooking the ocean, took mom shopping to our friend’s glass boutique and then just chatted and laughed. Yesterday was their 56th wedding anniversary and in a funny sort of way still complaining about the other one.

They met when he was 19 and she was 15. Sixty years together...shit, I’ve been with my wife 28 and I though that was a long time.

28 years is a long time. Yes

60 years is a fuck of a long time.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Today I got a care package from my bestie full of awesome stuff! Toys and clothes for the baby and stuff for me and my man.....INCLUDING A SMAUG POP VINYL FIGURINE! She is tres awesome!
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
04-03-2015, 05:49 PM
(02-03-2015 06:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Goring to intermediate probably doesn't help me much in that regard...

Why did I get this image of you growing horns and killing the competition...
06-03-2015, 12:16 AM
(04-03-2015 05:49 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 06:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Goring to intermediate probably doesn't help me much in that regard...

Why did I get this image of you growing horns and killing the competition...

That's just how I roll