Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2015, 04:34 AM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(11-08-2015 04:27 AM)julep Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 04:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  My day was good because I practiced music for what turned out to be several hours. Big Grin

That's so great to hear, Banjo!

My day was good because I didn't practice … enjoying my last bit of "time off" from clarinet before fall rehearsals and auditions get going.

Thanks.

I have not played since September last year, but properly since July 2014! I still haven't played kit professionally since July 14.

I really miss it. Meanwhile the competition is taking all my work. And the 5 teachers I got to sub for me with my students have mainly let me down. I have lost so many students. These are good players, bad teachers. All except for 1. I get students calling every week "When are you coming back?" And this week I had to turn down a student enquiring about Afro Cuban and Samba percussion.

How about you. This audition season, is it for school or are you out there doing gigs working professionally?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Update

Details/emails etc exchanged.

Sitting at home with a big bowl of ravioli and a nice Crown lager http://mosmancellars.com.au/collections/...rown-lager

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
11-08-2015, 04:52 AM
(11-08-2015 04:34 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 04:27 AM)julep Wrote:  That's so great to hear, Banjo!

My day was good because I didn't practice … enjoying my last bit of "time off" from clarinet before fall rehearsals and auditions get going.

Thanks.

I have not played since September last year, but properly since July 2014! I still haven't played kit professionally since July 14.

I really miss it. Meanwhile the competition is taking all my work. And the 5 teachers I got to sub for me with my students have mainly let me down. I have lost so many students. These are good players, bad teachers. All except for 1. I get students calling every week "When are you coming back?" And this week I had to turn down a student enquiring about Afro Cuban and Samba percussion.

How about you. This audition season, is it for school or are you out there doing gigs working professionally?

It's awful to have to turn away students and to hear that former students have been let down by their next teachers. I hope you're soon doing well enough to get back into the scene!

I took a long hiatus from gigging and just taught privately when I became a mom of an autistic child. I started getting paid to play when I was 15, and I used to do a lot of opera and shows. Started getting back into playing/performing four or five years ago, still at a reduced schedule because of needing to get my son places. Fall in the Boston area is when a lot of groups, paid and unpaid, have their auditions, so I am getting set for those. Mostly getting on sub lists because my parental schedule is still very heavy in the fall--my son is incredibly busy and it's mostly me who is driving him. Next year he'll be in college and I will have much more available time!

I am booked to be soloist in a concerto (will be only the second performance of this piece) this upcoming spring, which hopefully will raise my profile a bit. Boston is quite competitive and deep in talent in the classical music scene, so it is a very stimulating and frustrating place to be a musician.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
11-08-2015, 05:30 AM
(11-08-2015 04:52 AM)julep Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 04:34 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thanks.

It's awful to have to turn away students and to hear that former students have been let down by their next teachers. I hope you're soon doing well enough to get back into the scene!

I took a long hiatus from gigging and just taught privately when I became a mom of an autistic child. I started getting paid to play when I was 15, and I used to do a lot of opera and shows. Started getting back into playing/performing four or five years ago, still at a reduced schedule because of needing to get my son places. Fall in the Boston area is when a lot of groups, paid and unpaid, have their auditions, so I am getting set for those. Mostly getting on sub lists because my parental schedule is still very heavy in the fall--my son is incredibly busy and it's mostly me who is driving him. Next year he'll be in college and I will have much more available time!

I am booked to be soloist in a concerto (will be only the second performance of this piece) this upcoming spring, which hopefully will raise my profile a bit. Boston is quite competitive and deep in talent in the classical music scene, so it is a very stimulating and frustrating place to be a musician.

Berklee must add to the competitiveness I would imagine?

So you mainly play classical?

Great to see that you got back into it after having a child, and a child that must be time consuming. Well done. I avoided family so it would not affect my musical career. I guess i always had a Ruth Underwood fear. Great percussionist who worked with Zappa only to give up to devote time to family.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-08-2015, 05:33 AM
(11-08-2015 03:54 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 12:53 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It could provide something like a financial comfort while I'll be looking for better one. If not then pay still is enough to get me through the PhD.

If you are working on a degree while doing security, then you will have a huge advantage as lots of companies will let you study and6work on assignments on duty (at least mine did). I don't think I would have earned Magna Cum Laude if it wasn't for that. You are in the right place my friend!

Boss told me about flexible schedule of work, but talking is cheap. I'll have to wait and see how it will work in practice, though he seem like reasonable man.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-08-2015, 05:34 AM
(11-08-2015 04:47 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Update

Details/emails etc exchanged.

Sitting at home with a big bowl of ravioli and a nice Crown lager http://mosmancellars.com.au/collections/...rown-lager

Big Grin

I don't touch alcohol now. The last time was when I went to the Peruvian restaurant with my nephew and had a cocktail and glass of wine. But that was before the new treatment. The strongest thing I have now is juice.

Enjoy a sip for me! Smile

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-08-2015, 05:38 AM
Will do!
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
11-08-2015, 06:20 AM
(11-08-2015 05:30 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 04:52 AM)julep Wrote:  It's awful to have to turn away students and to hear that former students have been let down by their next teachers. I hope you're soon doing well enough to get back into the scene!

Berklee must add to the competitiveness I would imagine?

So you mainly play classical?

Great to see that you got back into it after having a child, and a child that must be time consuming. Well done. I avoided family so it would not affect my musical career. I guess i always had a Ruth Underwood fear. Great percussionist who worked with Zappa only to give up to devote time to family.

I'm mostly classical, yes. I sing some and do more jazz in that area but it's not as much in my comfort zone.

Berklee attracts a lot of talent here, and we also have New England Conservatory, a top classical music school, and Boston Conservatory, plus strong music programs at UMass and Boston University. It's crazy competitive here.

It's hard to balance family life and performing, but it's a good fit for my level of talent, which is okay but nowhere near that of the top performers. I have friends in the Boston Symphony who have combined that top level career with being parents, but that would be way beyond me.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
11-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Spent an hour rehearsing Megadeth songs. Spent half of that hour fucking around with one fill impossible to learn by ear since Dave gnarls too much.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
13-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Today was a good day because I got off my duff and went on a strenuous hike through an old growth forest preserve and came across this turtle!

[Image: 11884740_10207404835578402_6800866152388731096_o.jpg]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Octapulse's post