Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2016, 07:04 AM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
One of the super sweet, really cute, quite good looking residents got my number last night Smile

I had hoped a while back that he would ask me out. I can't believe he actually did!

[insert girlie squeal here]

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
30-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Made a few house shopping trips over the past couple weeks as we prepare to move from the Montreal area to Ottawa, where the detention centre I'll be working at is located. We're actually going to live in Gatineau, which is like a suburb city of Ottawa but across the river on the Québec side, that way we have cheaper housing prices and our kids can go to a French school.

Anyway... I wanted to go cheap on the house, because if I make any significant investment I'd rather it be on our prospective vacation home at the property we bought a few months back. Today we made an offer on a place we found that needs some minor renovations (all of which I can do myself), is within walking distance of daycare and school, and has a backyard that borders Gatineau (National) Park, which is a modestly sized ~350ish acre wooded park with some decent hiking trails. For about 200k, I'm quite pleased with the find. I consider it quite a steal, and find myself increasingly thankful that fewer and fewer people know how to do basic home repairs and therefore end up passing on opportunities like this Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
30-04-2016, 07:49 PM
This red-tailed hawk came and murdered a bird, then he was chased right out of my neighborhood.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 4 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
30-04-2016, 07:57 PM
I got the lawn tractor fixed today and mowed the lawn, it is a beautiful day out there.
01-05-2016, 09:36 AM
I love playing bass guitar.
02-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Why was today a good day thread
I have a friend whose birthday was last Wednesday. She is a huge Harry Potter fan. She is one of my dearest friends. She and I both suffer from depression and anxiety disorders. She talks to me when she's down and needs an ear.

I decided that a simple birthday card would not suffice for her. She made a joke about not getting her Hogwarts acceptance letter. So I went all the way. Looked at screenshots of the letter Harry got in the movie. Wrote her an entire letter on printed parchment with her full name, a list of her necessary books, and even made a personalized envelope.

She didn't know at first who did it, but she figured it out. She said she literally screamed and danced around. Her mom said she has never seen her this happy. And by pure coincidence, today is also International Harry Potter Day.

She said I made her life. Just knowing I made her this happy made my day. She means that much to me. She is one of my best friends. I love this girl, and though it wasn't a lot of work on my part, I made her happy.
[+] 5 users Like Clockwork's post
02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
No anxiety attacks today! Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
02-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Been needing to call a gutter guy - like, for years.
Kept avoiding - I have trust issues. Dodgy

Called today and felt immediate relief. Smile
I don't have to be there and the guy said he'd probably drop by at end of day to measure & call in the morning.

Now, I'm all excited about hiring people to do my bidding. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-05-2016, 06:28 AM
(30-04-2016 07:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Made a few house shopping trips over the past couple weeks as we prepare to move from the Montreal area to Ottawa, where the detention centre I'll be working at is located. We're actually going to live in Gatineau, which is like a suburb city of Ottawa but across the river on the Québec side, that way we have cheaper housing prices and our kids can go to a French school.

Anyway... I wanted to go cheap on the house, because if I make any significant investment I'd rather it be on our prospective vacation home at the property we bought a few months back. Today we made an offer on a place we found that needs some minor renovations (all of which I can do myself), is within walking distance of daycare and school, and has a backyard that borders Gatineau (National) Park, which is a modestly sized ~350ish acre wooded park with some decent hiking trails. For about 200k, I'm quite pleased with the find. I consider it quite a steal, and find myself increasingly thankful that fewer and fewer people know how to do basic home repairs and therefore end up passing on opportunities like this Tongue
French school because bilingual?
03-05-2016, 07:38 AM
(03-05-2016 06:28 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 07:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Made a few house shopping trips over the past couple weeks as we prepare to move from the Montreal area to Ottawa, where the detention centre I'll be working at is located. We're actually going to live in Gatineau, which is like a suburb city of Ottawa but across the river on the Québec side, that way we have cheaper housing prices and our kids can go to a French school.

French school because bilingual?

At home, my girlfriend speaks to the kids primarily in French and I speak to them primarily in English (though I also read to them in Chinese before bedtime most nights Tongue). In Québec there are both French and English public schools, and if you have both a Francophone and an Anglophone parent you have the option of choosing which of the two you'd like to send them to. We are in agreement that since the majority of their public interaction as they get older will be in English, the best way to keep them fully bilingual is for them to go to a French speaking school. This was factored into our decision to live in Gatineau, forcing me to play the provincial border hopping game every day for work Smile

My 4 1/2 year old can rattle off enough Chinese to get his point across and pick up a few impressed stares when we go into restaurants in Chinatown, but it's definitely lagging behind his French and English. I'll speak it enough to keep his mind used to piecing it together just so it'll be easier for him to polish it up when he gets older.

And to continue with my original "Why was today a good day?" post, they turned down my offer and made a slightly higher counter offer. Silly cultural real estate customs :/ I accepted and we're heading back to the house Saturday with an inspector to look it over before the offer is finalized. So unless we find something we overlooked before, like a bunch of bodies in the basement or something (I wouldn't care but it might bother my girlfriend for some reason), everything is looking good. Since making my original offer, I've dug up enough info to determine that apparently the owner hasn't had a single offer this past month with over 35 visits and is in a big hurry to move out, so if I really wanted to be an ass and go for the jugular, so to speak, this would have been the time to turn down her counter offer and do it. But fuck it, she seems nice and her cat let me pet it.

That brings me to the best thing about this place. The windowsills are big enough to serve as small benches. My cats are bird watching window cats, and this will please them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post