Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
Just got paid an absurd amount of money for a sculpture...the check was cashed and didn't bounce!

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like carol's post
04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
(04-05-2016 12:39 PM)carol Wrote:  Just got paid an absurd amount of money for a sculpture...the check was cashed and didn't bounce!
So happy for you! Did you get a pic?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-05-2016, 05:28 PM
(04-05-2016 02:33 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:39 PM)carol Wrote:  Just got paid an absurd amount of money for a sculpture...the check was cashed and didn't bounce!
So happy for you! Did you get a pic?

Of the check or of the sculpture? hahaha
A little background- I have a fine art degree in sculpture and I worked teaching, selling in small galleries, and singing gigs weekends. I limped along most of my life financially like many other artists. When I had some large medical expenses a few months ago, and my husband lost his job, I took a job drawing/designing a single weapon, which I did very quickly and then forgot about.When it was accepted they really liked it. Next, I was asked to make an accurate to scale polymer sculpture of it- which I did and it was also accepted,and they also liked it enough to ask for more.I was then offered a job drawing/sculpting other guns and that is what I am doing now.

The next thing I need to learn some basic CAD programs, so when they have a CAD person working on it, I can play with the design and correct the places where it has curves- CAD is not very great at curves and free-form designs, or so I have been told. I have been a computer tech but never used a CAD program. Now, I have to learn quickly. I am also not working on the internal design,my job is to make it pretty and comfortable to hold, and the accurate size, with the trigger the right place and the sites the right places...so that everything works well...
It makes me worried, of course. I have so much to learn and need to make it perfect.

Yes, I have quite a few photos , and I would love to share- ( thanks for asking) but I designed and sculpted a prototype of a gun which will be manufactured over the next two years or so. I signed a nondisclosure and I can't share any photos till it is produced. I will also get my own copy of the gun...which I will have to learn how to use someday.
I fell into this job, and I'm feeling a strange combination of excitement and fear. I feel competent sculpting and drawing- and I am very accurate, which is needed in this sort of work. But, I know next to nothing about weapons,and now have so much to learn. The functionality is so important it has to be comfortable for different hand sizes...and I am comfortable drawing, and the CAD program looks like something I can learn- but will need to work hard and take a few classes right away. I feel lost and worried and I wish I had some guidance from someone who has done this for a living,so I do not make lots of mistakes.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 3 users Like carol's post
04-05-2016, 05:39 PM
The sheet rock and paint guy was here today as well as the window guy. Waiting on the estimates to come in so we can get things scheduled. Tomorrow the flooring lady will be here. Finally, some progress is being made.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
04-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Practiced piano, went for a 30 minute evening walk, now listening to Chopin.

04-05-2016, 07:56 PM
(04-05-2016 05:28 PM)carol Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:33 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  So happy for you! Did you get a pic?

Of the check or of the sculpture? hahaha
A little background- I have a fine art degree in sculpture and I worked teaching, selling in small galleries, and singing gigs weekends. I limped along most of my life financially like many other artists. When I had some large medical expenses a few months ago, and my husband lost his job, I took a job drawing/designing a single weapon, which I did very quickly and then forgot about.When it was accepted they really liked it. Next, I was asked to make an accurate to scale polymer sculpture of it- which I did and it was also accepted,and they also liked it enough to ask for more.I was then offered a job drawing/sculpting other guns and that is what I am doing now.

The next thing I need to learn some basic CAD programs, so when they have a CAD person working on it, I can play with the design and correct the places where it has curves- CAD is not very great at curves and free-form designs, or so I have been told. I have been a computer tech but never used a CAD program. Now, I have to learn quickly. I am also not working on the internal design,my job is to make it pretty and comfortable to hold, and the accurate size, with the trigger the right place and the sites the right places...so that everything works well...
It makes me worried, of course. I have so much to learn and need to make it perfect.

Yes, I have quite a few photos , and I would love to share- ( thanks for asking) but I designed and sculpted a prototype of a gun which will be manufactured over the next two years or so. I signed a nondisclosure and I can't share any photos till it is produced. I will also get my own copy of the gun...which I will have to learn how to use someday.
I fell into this job, and I'm feeling a strange combination of excitement and fear. I feel competent sculpting and drawing- and I am very accurate, which is needed in this sort of work. But, I know next to nothing about weapons,and now have so much to learn. The functionality is so important it has to be comfortable for different hand sizes...and I am comfortable drawing, and the CAD program looks like something I can learn- but will need to work hard and take a few classes right away. I feel lost and worried and I wish I had some guidance from someone who has done this for a living,so I do not make lots of mistakes.

You might also consider studying a little Human Factors Engineering in your free time. The design of a lot of things involves how people can/will handle it. Does the company you are doing the work for have people in this capacity, or are they depending on you for that? I used to design tools at my job. If you have some questions, feel free to PM and I'll try to help, if I can. I WILL tell you, straight up, that any effort to make it comfortable for different hand sizes is going to give you big time grief. I have big mitts that require the biggest factory grips that Smith and Wesson makes for their pistols to keep my fingers from wrapping all the way around and interfering with my grip on the gun. Kind of like a puppy, in that respect. If I had grown in height to match my hands and feet, I'd have to be about 6" taller. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
(04-05-2016 07:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 05:28 PM)carol Wrote:  Of the check or of the sculpture? hahaha

You might also consider studying a little Human Factors Engineering in your free time. The design of a lot of things involves how people can/will handle it. Does the company you are doing the work for have people in this capacity, or are they depending on you for that? I used to design tools at my job. If you have some questions, feel free to PM and I'll try to help, if I can. I WILL tell you, straight up, that any effort to make it comfortable for different hand sizes is going to give you big time grief. I have big mitts that require the biggest factory grips that Smith and Wesson makes for their pistols to keep my fingers from wrapping all the way around and interfering with my grip on the gun. Kind of like a puppy, in that respect. If I had grown in height to match my hands and feet, I'd have to be about 6" taller. Tongue
yes, i will PM you,thanks!!!

04-05-2016, 11:38 PM
(04-05-2016 11:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  Still after 2500 odd years, the most bad-ass phrase ever uttered IMO.

I've also got custom Molon Labe Oakley frames. I'm a tool :/

Does that mean I can have them if I come get them? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Ok. So I wanted to post this earlier but then I logged on, it was too sad, I couldn't stop crying and yeh...

Well, time to share Smile

I went out on a date with a really sweet guy on Sunday. He's hot. Has these beautiful hazel eyes. Great hair, a little messy, oh my god. Athletic. Brilliant. That slight bit of nerdy that makes me melt - he compared the hoops at work to Ender's Game Heart. From New York. Super busy though, he's a surgical resident (not saying what *kind*, anonymity).

The date went great. I didn't hide that I'm a divorced mom. He seemed okay with that. He said he wants to see me again, even kissed me. *swoon*

I texted him about 15 minutes after the date "I had a great time!" And he responded "me too!" And then he added me on Facebook. So. What do you do when a new love interest adds you on Facebook? You scroll through pics and posts and stalk the fuck out of their page. The closest mention of anything religious is friends wishing him a "Happy Festivus" and pics of a festivus party.

Is it too early to propose? Consider Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 9 users Like Nurse's post
05-05-2016, 11:23 AM
11:50am wake up time + breakfast of the gods!

[Image: KK-double-dozen.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post